IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

32 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Nothing like glued pressed wood.  I might have to build my own desk.

Real wood, there no substitute!  Like you said, it does not bubble.  It also does not fall apart when it gets wet and if you ding the top, you can always sand it and refinish it.  Considering the average age of the average TI'er, a real wood top will probably outlast us!

• Like 1

Interesting you guys are talking about chairs and desks; my boyfriend splurged on a new computer, and with the help of his friend in Ohio, got a new gaming chair and is planning on getting a desk for it. The problem is that he has to buy it locally with cash, and the coronavirus is not making that easy, so...

... or if you want something inexpensive that is more functional than beautiful (for now)  << CLICK HERE >>.

I remember a friend of mine had one of these in the 80's.  It was surprisingly spacious!  A couple of years later when he got more money, he took off the folding legs and put it on top of two 2 drawer file cabinets for more of a desk type look.

Table.thumb.JPG.367ac15a580a3c23f1f121acd1b038c7.JPG

• Like 1

Let me tell you how much I love my UPSes.  That and for the low-voltage stuff, making my own recharging power circuit (5v charging and discharging with NiMH cells is pretty simple stuff.)

APC makes a 12V Li-ion UPS which is pretty cool, too.  It beats building one around a 12V SLA.

Anyway, power goes out at my place and my network runs for almost a full three hours.  The projector and entertainment system only runs for 27 minutes, but I am about to split that out onto a second 1500VA unit.

• Like 3

With the PC off I only supply power to an LED lamp, the router and the land line base and that is supposed last about 4 hours.  Apparently from the remaining charge it nearly depleted last night.  I'm sure the one in the living room did.  The one in the bedroom held on it seems as the clock is still accurate.   What bothers me is that the UPS did NOT log the blackout.  It says the last incident occurred on 8/22/2019 which is a lie, it should read 5/28/2020.

DISPLAY.thumb.JPG.44504f2ce955af3f6f1ea7ecd9c16146.JPG

Seems like we had a TI'er back in the 90's living in Jamaica I think.  I remember a post he had on GEnie where he had something like a 1500 gallon diesel tank for a generator in the basement of his house as a backup should the power fail (hurricane) or other issue that could power his whole house.  Anyone remember that story or his name?

Staples is really starting to piss me off.  I ordered a chair from them on May 26 to which they promptly billed me for the warranty and chair.  A few days later they send me an email telling me that my chair was shipped and will arrive June 2nd.  The chair is late, so I get on the FedEx site today and it shows that Staples only created a shipping label and nothing more.  FedEx has not yet received the chair from Staples that was supposed to have arrived yesterday.  

1 hour ago, INVISIBLE said:

Staples is really starting to piss me off.  I ordered a chair from them on May 26 to which they promptly billed me for the warranty and chair.  A few days later they send me an email telling me that my chair was shipped and will arrive June 2nd.  The chair is late, so I get on the FedEx site today and it shows that Staples only created a shipping label and nothing more.  FedEx has not yet received the chair from Staples that was supposed to have arrived yesterday.  

Eww, that sucks, man. Hope you can get it sorted out.

So ... I have been trying for a while to find a Voice Assistant that would emulate the Speak and Spell voice. I don't know enough programming to make the software portion, thought maybe creating one physically. Any programmers out there know enough to point me in the right direction? I have done lots of Google searches and a number of assistants allow you to choose "a" voice. Not necessarily "the" voice you would like to use. I wanted to do the whole "HAL" project but I just can't rationalize the capital expense. Since I love the TI-99/4a I thought a Speak and Spell Voice assistant would be fitting for my RBS.

Should I move this to it's own topic even though not strictly related?