IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Well.. It's that time of year again.

Time for the braincell-mass-suicide inducing online training. These things make me contemplate recreational drug use, for real.  Being high is about the only way these could be enjoyable.

In terms of things that would be more fun-- I looked more into the hypothetical printer upgrade--  I would have to redo the firmware in my printer (which is thankfully just Marlin firmware, and easily prodded) to make it properly accept the longer Y axis.  I am still on the fence if I want to do it or not. It would definitely be more fun than listening to this slow-coach of a narrator drag out 5 sentences over 10 minutes, that's for sure.

• Like 1

@wierd_w

Ok Wierd. my wife and I pulled the trigger.. got us a 3D printer arriving tomorrow.

Creality Ender 3 Pro

It looks to have a lot of the features you mentioned. it also looks like it can be attached to a firm surface rather easily. I am willing to bet I am going to be watching videos all night, on "how to" ... "where to" ... "Here's why" ... now pay attention to this .. and of course rereading your thread. ? thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, wierd_w said:

Well.. It's that time of year again.

Time for the braincell-mass-suicide inducing online training. These things make me contemplate recreational drug use, for real.  Being high is about the only way these could be enjoyable.

In terms of things that would be more fun-- I looked more into the hypothetical printer upgrade--  I would have to redo the firmware in my printer (which is thankfully just Marlin firmware, and easily prodded) to make it properly accept the longer Y axis.  I am still on the fence if I want to do it or not. It would definitely be more fun than listening to this slow-coach of a narrator drag out 5 sentences over 10 minutes, that's for sure.

there is a hilarious infomercial my wife found and sent to me about sexual harassment ... just as hokie in acting but taking the situations to the Nth level. if you want I will send in a PM. not sure how many here would appreciate it. Although I know few of you sick screwballs are here. You, I call, "friend", you know who you are!!!

Anyone here a Marvel or DC comic fan? If so, I'd like some help figuring out something: I vaguely recall reading online about a character from either continuity who thinks himself a normal human, but is so steeped in denial and skepticism about the fantastical events transpiring around him, that he literally exudes a reality-warping aura around him that makes those events cease to exist around him: in his presence, magic and advanced technology doesn't work, supernatural elements and beings (like gods, demons, ghosts, aliens, etc) don't exist, superpowered being are depowered and turned into normal creatures, etc. This effect goes away, after he does, but when he's around, even news coverage of the events are transformed so that they don't report it, at all. Is there such a character like that, in either universe, or am I simply misremembering something about either company?

I'm sure. And turns out, there was something akin to the character I was thinking of, a guy named. Dr. Terrence Thirteen, aka the Ghost Breaker, a supernatural investigator who swore to his dad to break a "curse" on his family that caused them to die accused of witchcraft for making scientific discoveries by busting supernatural events and encounters with science. At one point, John Constantine said that, because of Dr. Thirteen's intense skepticism, supernatural events (of the magic variety) simply don't work around him, but that was retconned when the DC New 52 reboot happened.

• Like 1

Sick of reboots.  I remember back in the 90s when we complained that Hollywood was out of ideas as all it produced was sequels.  Then movie studios discovered the reboot and said "hold our beers."  Some turned out okay, but most of them are just bad fan-fic.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Mehridian Sanders said:

@wierd_w

Ok Wierd. my wife and I pulled the trigger.. got us a 3D printer arriving tomorrow.

Creality Ender 3 Pro

It looks to have a lot of the features you mentioned. it also looks like it can be attached to a firm surface rather easily. I am willing to bet I am going to be watching videos all night, on "how to" ... "where to" ... "Here's why" ... now pay attention to this .. and of course rereading your thread. ? thanks again for the advice.

That's the model we have. Check out the channel "Tomb of 3D Printed Horrors" on YouTube for great instructional videos.

I haven't found a need to attach it to a surface. The aluminum extrusions are pretty sturdy, but be sure they're square. Even check the base pieces that come pre-assembled.

If there's one thing that drove me (and most other Ender 3 owners) nuts, it's the quality of the bed surface. The magnetic part is good, but the base metal piece often has tiny dips all over. It's very common to eventually replace the magnetic bed with a glass one (or just a piece of mirror from the hardware store).

A couple of years ago I ripped my DVD collection to my NAS.  Then I got Plex and started getting power hungry an started buying bulk DVD and BluRays, to the tune of 1,460 movies and 130 TV shows.

"Futurama" has been a difficult one.  The program I use has its issues, like activating subtitles for no reason, and now not deinterlacing videos.  I assume the latter is what happened with "Futurama," so I re-ripped it to its raw MPEG2 to apply ffmpeg's yadif filter (which is pretty amazing.)

But to my surprise, the video stream shows as progressive.  Say what?  I extracted a few seconds from one particularly bad scene.  This is just 10 frames, barely a half-second, where you can see the tearing.

112811585_filename001.thumb.png.45201894e1c8e632e7847ca20f7a4925.png40878841_filename002.thumb.png.8fd087aaeab4fbffb8f360a2be4e758f.png406838782_filename003.thumb.png.8e838fee04efc61a2368bdf34bf4272d.png2085665114_filename004.thumb.png.6a317f44627d8229eaf5a9fc39e35306.png836276517_filename005.thumb.png.78d619577bf8482eff397fc7b2a0a7cd.png1015697940_filename006.thumb.png.41e237526eb29614e46e1ddc3b88b1b5.png322817755_filename007.thumb.png.5150efd755bea5e15410949be7e819b2.png139527555_filename008.thumb.png.df1a8ab490dceb0243f59d90f3f119eb.png1016051288_filename009.thumb.png.06b5b247feeb7f4b473bff610b1b3582.png1202366029_filename010.thumb.png.e229a07f6907630e70091d38487a6cdf.png

A little digging, I find other have noticed this and determine what I figured out, as well: the DVD was encoded as progressive scan using interlaced source media.  Worse, the frame rate of the DVD does not match that of the source, so deinterlacing is going to be a laborious task, and far too much time to invest.  From what I can tell, no later DVD release corrects this issue.  Ugh!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, Mehridian Sanders said:

@wierd_w

Creality Ender 3 Pro

An Ender 3 should serve you pretty well I think.  Lots of hardware support love at Amazon for that printer. Lots of options.

My JGAurora A3 (My chinese i3 clone) came in a completely disassembled state. (and basically every review of it on amazon complains about this!)  If I could put that thing together, I am pretty sure a talented guy like you will have no problems with his mail order Ender 3 kit.

TI user courtesy heads up: Putting two new, sealed F18A V1.8 boards + VGA headers in MarketPlace forum today or tomorrow.

Never used it or know the larger community over there, but I guess I'll see if I can muddle through it.

Doug

• Like 1

Just now, helocast said:

TI user courtesy heads up: Putting two new, sealed F18A V1.8 boards + VGA headers in MarketPlace forum today or tomorrow.

Never used it or know the larger community over there, but I guess I'll see if I can muddle through it.

Doug

Oh, my! I need to grab some popcorn and watch the blood bath.  This is a heavily desired item.  I was thinking about bronzing my spare :)   (I am also curious to know how many people PM you to try to beat your Marketplace post!)

• Like 1

I am a bit of a perceptions control freak... Now that Atariage includes beautiful pictures from your thread when it is linked to outside, such as in discord, it would be nice if original poster / thread creator could edit post #1 in this top level TI-99/4A forum.. 

It bugs me to no end to see my thread's show some random image from some followup poster.  Occasional, perception damaging. In my opinion... like:

Screenshot_070220_092849_AM.jpg.d642254b927dd36193cedf60ee7722eb.jpg

Which on most other sites, focuses more on the image, which shows 2018 dates and beta versions of the software  - at first glance it looks like a dead project. 

This has been discussed before, but the internet has evolved since then... I recall this is something our moderators can control? 

As a subscriber perk at the minimum... would be happy to continue to pay for this ability. Just wish it would reach up here and not just the developer forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Threads in the Development sub can be edited in perpetuity -- I do not know if this is limited to subscribers.  Otherwise, I believe Albert can give OPs rights to edit FPs.

Anyone can edit threads in Development subs indefinitely.  In other forums I can give permission for authors to indefinitely edit specific posts indefinitely.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2