IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Once I finish with the beige speech enclosure prints, I will set about this additional task.

This is somebody else's image-- Mine is bright firehydrant red-- but this is what the Flip N File 10 looks like.

FLIPNFILE-10-HOLDER-FOR-5-1-4-FLOPPIES-C

The Flip N File 15 looks similar, but with a clear window in the front. 

The 10 looks easier to replicate, and is fully opaque in its original form.  I think I will rebrand it to "RetroFile" instead though, in case there is a trademark on the product line.

Edit:

Just disassembled the 10.  No screws. All injection molded plastic, simple tab construction. I don't see any serious overhangs, or features that would be impossible to clean up.  I should be able to do this.  Should make for a fun project.  With how thin the plastic is, I might need to make modifications to make it thicker (so the printed product is sufficiently sturdy).  Otherwise, yeah. Looks totally doable.  I will get banished to hall 2 (the memory care unit) tonight, so if I bring the parts and my calipers with me, I should be able to sit and do that.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

today I drove to the grocery store for some medication and encountered periodic traffic light outages.  When I walked inside it was apparent the store's power had failed and when I asked someone when it occurred, they said "just about an hour ago".   On my way home I saw more businesses and traffic lights without power.  

Once home I searched online and learned something about our electrical grid.  The utility initiated brown-outs for a large swathe of the county to protect the entire grid.   The brownouts started in the south portion of the county and seem to be pushing northward; so far we are unaffected.   And even though we did not suffer a direct hit from Laura (unlike the folks in east TX and LA) the repercussions are far-reaching.  I can't even imagine what it must be like in the hard-hit areas where there is more to deal with than the brownouts.  :(

https://abc13.com/hurricane-laura-power-outages-electricity-montgomery-county-brownouts-utility/6391899/

I keep having radical ideas on how to use this 3D printer...

Mehridian Sanders recently made a thread about some Legit Allied IC test clips...

Looking at them, they are just "Clothespin" style clamps, that appear to contain Brass Head Pins.

(Or just generic .5mm diameter bras rod, cut to length. Should function as IDC male header at the exposed end that way.)

Perhaps another design project on the horizon.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Mehridian Sanders recently made a thread about some Legit Allied IC test clips...

Looking at them, they are just "Clothespin" style clamps, that appear to contain Brass Head Pins.

(Or just generic .5mm diameter bras rod, cut to length. Should function as IDC male header at the exposed end that way.)

this appears to be a good idea

let me know how it progresses

or, as the facebook printer groups would say "stl?"

14 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Test equipment is one area where you want to quickly move away from homemade, to reliable standard.

Debugging time is tedious enough without wondering if your tool is part of the problem.

These are not for testing if the IC is good or not (you can't test an IC in place) but for taking

signals off-board in a situation where an accidental short (by a probe) would likely crash the system.

Test clip pins of the 0.1" pitch generation are flat at one end, 0.025" at the other, typically gold or silver plated.

Once you move past chips with 0.1" pitch, the clip becomes much more complicated. For example

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pomona-electronics/5254/501-2060-ND/745104

The plastic teeth go in between 0.05" spaced contacts. The farther down you go, the greater the

need for a clip or a "bed of nails", as a manual probe just can't reach in.

Here is some background on pins/contacts:

https://blog.samtec.com/post/comparing-base-metals-connectors/

Android users beware!!!

Updated Firefox on my android tablet and lost 3 years worth of bookmarks.  And the new UI sucks.

Never used sync as I wanted to keep everything separate from my PC & laptop.

Just going to leave my cell phone alone on this update.

• Like 1

My wife was born in Reykjavík, an Air Force "Brat." Her folks were scheduled to depart for the US, but couldn't leave if their new child hadn't been born yet. So her dad took mom for a rough, bouncy ride to help induce labor! Who knows whether that helped or not, but Sandra was born just in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The A2600 predates the TI-99/4, by a couple years. A big difference back then!

The TI-99/4 couldn't even run PARSEC ... 'cause, no bit-mapped graphics yet.

Before the A2600, what was there, really??? PONG?

For my 10th B'day, while living in California, I was taken to Sears, presumably to get a bike! My first bike(age 7) broke in half, as a result of my frequently riding it down the stairs, I seem to recall someone yelling "super-fly", as I landed near them unexpectedly, it was abandoned in our NYC building's bike room(it was still there, under an inch of dust, last I checked-1990). At Sears, we first played Air Sea Battle, on the A2600, display unit. I was certain that this was what I wanted! But it was suggested that I Should give the Free Spirit, 10-speed bike, a test ride in the parking lot, first... I seem to recall hitting 28MPH while traversing the huge parking lot in little time! You don't do that on a single-speed, banana seat-er with pedal brakes. I quickly realized, this thing could get me around town. The 9(long-blocks) walk to the beach and similar distance to the Santa Monica pier and Muscle Beach, was often a source of discouragement for me.

Surprisingly, I chose the Bike! I mainly wanted the game, to play with the parents, but somehow knew, that would result only in disappointment...

• Like 2

Later Atari 2600 games from third-parties such as Activision and Imagic performed practical miracles with the VCS hardware.  Really not fair to compare the 99/4 or 4A against the VCS (Atari 2600.)  Remember the TIs has a true video processor with its own memory and draws the screen on its own, whereas the VCS screen is drawn dot-by-dot by the game -- that is the CPU -- itself; the 9918/A has sprites while the VCS has somewhat similar but less capable player, missile, and ball objects.  The VCS does have more colors, though, and lacks the color restrictions of the 9918A's bitmap mode.

I would be more envious of some of the games produced on the Atari 2600 that were not made available on the TI-99.  Just ask @Omega-TI.

It's a 75-150mm OM zuiko but I found an adapter for my micro four thirds Olympus e-pl5 pen lite ? camera.

I just started learning about how to use this and the only, but really good, lens I have is the zuiko 14-42mm.  And so I wanted to experiment with taking the photograph of the moon, but the lens I had wouldn't work, much like that of a cellphone camera, so I guessed that this 75-150 would work, and we'll not in detail, but it was better than I thought.

These lenses are this price all over the place, I guess because there just not autofocus, but shoot, I don't care.

• Like 1

You should keep trying a bit; I think you can get even better results. Tripod is already good, if available you could use a remote trigger (also means by cable) to avoid shaking the camera by pressing the button. Do you have an electronic viewfinder? My Sony a58 has one, and I use it in magnification mode to check the focus.

This is my result from my hotel room in Reykjavík. (Tip: Avoid full moon, this is the most boring phase for photography.)

(1/160 s, f/5.6)

dsc11107.jpg

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 3