IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

On 8/31/2020 at 10:01 PM, OLD CS1 said:

My last shot-taking of the moon wound up looking something like this.

180oeb5v3zxdhjpg.thumb.jpg.536acb4535db5c0c192460f5c1f73078.jpg

Took me five minutes of intense Googling and reading Wikipedia to find out what this meant...

The Tick also got to Germany around 1995 in the children's TV, but I obviously completely missed it. Maybe because it ran on 10 AM on sundays.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Took me five minutes of intense Googling and reading Wikipedia to find out what this meant...

The Tick also got to Germany around 1995 in the children's TV, but I obviously completely missed it. Maybe because it ran on 10 AM on sundays.

Yup, images.google.com is a fast way to search, open another window, slide the photo over and instant gratification.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, HOME AUTOMATION said:

The A2600 predates the TI-99/4, by a couple years. A big difference back then!

The TI-99/4 couldn't even run PARSEC ... 'cause, no bit-mapped graphics yet.

Before the A2600, what was there, really??? PONG?

For my 10th B'day, while living in California, I was taken to Sears, presumably to get a bike! My first bike(age 7) broke in half, as a result of my frequently riding it down the stairs, I seem to recall someone yelling "super-fly", as I landed near them unexpectedly, it was abandoned in our NYC building's bike room(it was still there, under an inch of dust, last I checked-1990). At Sears, we first played Air Sea Battle, on the A2600, display unit. I was certain that this was what I wanted! But it was suggested that I Should give the Free Spirit, 10-speed bike, a test ride in the parking lot, first... I seem to recall hitting 28MPH while traversing the huge parking lot in little time! You don't do that on a single-speed, banana seat-er with pedal brakes. I quickly realized, this thing could get me around town. The 9(long-blocks) walk to the beach and similar distance to the Santa Monica pier and Muscle Beach, was often a source of discouragement for me.

Surprisingly, I chose the Bike! I mainly wanted the game, to play with the parents, but somehow knew, that would result only in disappointment...

I dunno, I heard that Atari's competitors bribed the developers for Donkey Kong to exclusively gimp the 2600 version, to keep them from gaining the upper hand in the then-to-be-short-lived 2-Bit console wars. Someone recently has tried making a superior port of Donkey Kong onto the 2600, and, well... just look for yourself:

Here's one more for the Moon series from me, taken on my Madeira vacation last September. This was done with my Sony a58 on a mini tripod, Tamron lens 75-300mm, ISO 200, exposure 1/100 s, f/5.6, focal length 300mm, no post-processing, manual mode.

(I'm just browsing through my photos of this vacation for the first time ... :) )

dsc11601.jpg

• Like 3

I like to practice in environments like this.  These are taken at two different times (really completely different years,) but under similar conditions and of the same signal posts.  One is the camera automatically (not) figuring things out, the other is some manual manipulation.

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.24af32c824c664c19b890e6f1b1c4a9d.JPGIMG_2902.thumb.JPG.b9a866f262b2d8ea04ec6ea6f357425b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickyDean said:

Hence the panhandle in the name. Not that I'm interested, just stating a simple fact.

unnamed.jpg.8c6d6b7acaff547d70a7d91e6d795753.jpgWait wait wait.  Amarillo is in the "panhandle?"  I understand the "panhandle" of Florida and Oklahoma, but Amarillo seems more like it would be in the "chimney" of Texas while its "panhandle" should be the area containing Pecos, Van Horn, and El Paso.  By this math, Shreveport is in the "panhandle" of Louisiana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

unnamed.jpg.8c6d6b7acaff547d70a7d91e6d795753.jpgWait wait wait.  Amarillo is in the "panhandle?"  I understand the "panhandle" of Florida and Oklahoma, but Amarillo seems more like it would be in the "chimney" of Texas while its "panhandle" should be the area containing Pecos, Van Horn, and El Paso.  By this math, Shreveport is in the "panhandle" of Louisiana.

It confused the heck out of me as a kid--Oklahoma looks like a pan, but Texas? It stretches the definition of "panhandle" if any rectangular protrusion is a handle.

Here is an attempt to explain it.

The original TI-Net BBS was called Panhandler BBS before we knew else that word meant. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Long ago the wife and I talked about taking a trip to Paris...  I'm not sure who was more amused when we both realized we were trying to play the same joke on each other...

image.thumb.png.b0283eceb208437301742a73fd73162f.png.

Holy tower Batman... when  I was a kid, the tower I saw there was barely 4' high, like a Mini Golf tower.

12 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Long ago the wife and I talked about taking a trip to Paris...  I'm not sure who was more amused when we both realized we were trying to play the same joke on each other...

I don't know whether this movie is known too far outside Germany, but in 1984 the German producer Wim Wenders directed the award-winning road movie "Paris, Texas"; it was on TV here some weeks ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087884/

starring Harry Dean Stanton (I know him from the Alien 1 movie as "Brett", the one who looked out for the cat...), music by Ry Cooder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mizapf said:

Harry Dean Stanton (I know him from the Alien 1 movie as "Brett", the one who looked out for the cat...)

And "Cool Hand Luke," "The Rose," Brain in "Escape from New York," and more recently his final role before his death, "Lucky."  Plus so many more.  Long-lived and versatile actor.

• Like 4

I am configuring a serial port console server which has the ability to receive in-bound dial-ins, both standard text and PPP.  I am connecting at 33.6kbps and for testing routes and DNS I decided to load a few web pages.  AtariAge loads impressively quick on a 33.6k connection :)