IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

4 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

@RXB With all those fans, is it louder than the original fan that came in the P-Box?

On my PC no same amount of noise as before.

I have 3 settings:

1. Silent which is pretty quiet.

2. Default that uses a standard fan settings but louder.

3. Supercool that everything is full blast, all fans and pumps.

Of course when playing online games the sound of game and music totally drowns out PC fans.

3 fans on Video Card, 3 fans on top inside of PC case, 3 fans intake blowing into CPU radiator, 1 Exhaust fan and Power supply intake fan.

Edited by RXB
missing text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

For what do you use this rig?  Ripping Blurays and ffmpeg conversions are fast enough on my 1050, I am not certain I could make full use of your card -- though I would certainly try.

Yeah, I do a boat load of video ripping, processing and editing with a 6GB/GTX 1060 running two monitors at 1920 X 1080 and it's never had a hiccup.  Maybe he does a lot of 4K stuff or has a massive monitor that he plays MMO FPS's on?  It's always fun to have some "extra overhead" though!  

8 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Yeah, I do a boat load of video ripping, processing and editing with a 6GB/GTX 1060 running two monitors at 1920 X 1080 and it's never had a hiccup.  Maybe he does a lot of 4K stuff or has a massive monitor that he plays MMO FPS's on?  It's always fun to have some "extra overhead" though!  

Yup.  I figured out last week that as I do video conversions with ffmpeg, I can run three processes processing 1080p inputs to various sizes and crop settings at around six times playback speed (about 140fps) with my 1050.  That is the same as if I just run a single process, so that tells me the bottle neck is software.  Now running three processes cuts my conversion times drastically.

22 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

For what do you use this rig?  Ripping Blurays and ffmpeg conversions are fast enough on my 1050, I am not certain I could make full use of your card -- though I would certainly try.

LOL Classic99 mostly, also Gaming PC, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft, Star War Knights of Old Republic, Fortnight, Epic Games, and Steam.

Make videos with OBS Studio and watch movies on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube.

My old HP PC has a 1050 and could not even handle old games like WOW or WOT or SWTOR or Steam with only 70fps.

This PC I can have Classic99 working on a project, listen to internet Radio, Play World of Tanks 200fps and Star Wars 225fps all at same time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Moon is still here. Pictures taken on Nov 27, 2020 21:30 CET, almost full phase; Meade LX200 with focal reduction f/6.3, Sony a58 attached. Exposure 1/100 s, ISO 100. Result of 16 stacked shots.

When I noticed that the left edge was blurred, I went back to the telescope to do some more shots, but haze started to come in, and the telescope already became moist on all sides. So that's it for today. I suppose the blur already resulted from moisture that gathered on the corrector plate.

mond3.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, mizapf said:

The Moon is still here. Pictures taken on Nov 27, 2020 21:30 CET, almost full phase; Meade LX200 with focal reduction f/6.3, Sony a58 attached. Exposure 1/100 s, ISO 100. Result of 16 stacked shots.

When I noticed that the left edge was blurred, I went back to the telescope to do some more shots, but haze started to come in, and the telescope already became moist on all sides. So that's it for today. I suppose the blur already resulted from moisture that gathered on the corrector plate.

mond3.jpg

Ah the LX-200. Classic solid scope. Very nice image.

Tomorrow morning around 0400 local time to Minneapolis (UTC -6) will be the maximal penumbral eclipse, and it's supposed to be a clear night. I'm going to try to get a good shot of it just using my Nikon D60 with a 200mm lens (I have to be at the hospital by 0700, so no time to set up my Orion Xtg8 dobs...).

• Like 2

So, this is better in terms of sharpness, but the terminator is almost gone on the left side; we have 99% full moon. I did apply some unsharp masking and enhanced the contrast, but the source images were already much better than the last ones.

Fun fact: Each pixel of this image covers an area of 1.6 km x 1.6 km, or 1 mile x 1 mile. Just in case you expect to see the lunar landers somewhere.

(the image of the Moon is 2460 pixels wide, the Moon diameter is 3474 km)

mond1.jpg

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Sure, you can process the picture as you like. Maybe you'd better use an original picture without any processing from me, directly taken from the camera. Also, this is not stacked, but the stacking did not really improve the quality.

DSC09898.JPG

Was the original only 1 megabyte?  That does not seem right.  I'm assuming that you shoot in JPG and not RAW.  Yeah, considering the distance involved, even with the curvature I would not expect enough variation in the focus area.  Out of curiosity though, how many images did you use?  Five or nine?

Right, it was JPEG. I just meant to say this is the file as I got it from the camera, which was set to save as JPEG. The camera already does a good job with JPEG creation from RAW, better than all my attempts until now.

The last picture is one of four that I stacked for the image in posting #3816.

The focus issues can possibly indicate a problem with my mirror; my LX200 has some nasty mirror shift, a typical problem of SC-type telescopes (due to the mirror being pushed and pulled away from its center). I'll have an eye on that next time. One thing to do against that is to wander across the focus point and then turn back some amount so that the mirror becomes leveled again.

Hobby astronomers may know that feeling: "Now is that sharper or not? Can't really tell." I used the magnifying function of my a58 for manual focusing (and I have a focus motor ? ).

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Hobby astronomers may know that feeling: "Now is that sharper or not? Can't really tell." I used the magnifying function of my a58 for manual focusing (and I have a focus motor ? ).

Yup, and it gets worse with age ? I am going to try to 3D print a Bahtinov mask for my 8" dobs to help with that (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1987284).

I woke up at 0400 today to snap pictures of the moon, but it turned out to be too hazy for anything useful. Rats...

On the upside, I did recently score a brand new in box Meade Deep Sky Imager for $40 on Facebook Marketplace, an excellent imager coupled with a very capable software even though it's probably close to a decade old by now. It can automatically take dark images and bias shots, interval imaging as well as automatic tracking and stacking of the images. I did manage to get the driver and software working on my Win10 laptop and I'm going to be taking it for a spin at the observing field sometime this week. It's unseasonably warm in MN now, so I'm going to take full advantage of it!

• Like 1

What I miss of my camera is a way to see the picture of the viewfinder on a laptop. I can connect the camera to a computer, but only to download pictures or movie clips. As of now, I have to squeeze myself between the telescope on its tripod and the edge of the roof hatch to watch the backside of the camera, while forming some bizarre figure with my body, almost defying gravity, but when it starts hurting, you know that your body does not agree with what the h*** you are doing there. Your fingertips are getting numb while temperature is crossing 0°C, and you desperately try to fiddle that screw back into its hole where you just unscrewed it some degrees too far. Welcome to amateur astronomy. ;-)

Maybe some day I'll have a look at real astro cameras.

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

What I miss of my camera is a way to see the picture of the viewfinder on a laptop. I can connect the camera to a computer, but only to download pictures or movie clips. As of now, I have to squeeze myself between the telescope on its tripod and the edge of the roof hatch to watch the backside of the camera, while forming some bizarre figure with my body, almost defying gravity, but when it starts hurting, you know that your body does not agree with what the h*** you are doing there. Your fingertips are getting numb while temperature is crossing 0°C, and you desperately try to fiddle that screw back into its hole where you just unscrewed it some degrees too far. Welcome to amateur astronomy. ;-)

Maybe some day I'll have a look at real astro cameras.

The Canon T7i, is << listed as one of the four best >> for astrophotography and will let you use your cellphone to see what the camera sees and to take photos.  I've found it invaluable for taking photos when any camera shake of long distance items, especially when I have the telephoto lens on could ruin an image.