IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Hard to find something exciting about the "shortest day" yesterday, but here are some facts I found interesting:

- The day is called winter solstice in English, from Latin sistere = sit/stand, stitium as its noun, prefixed by sol = sun. Sistere (with past part. statum) was quite productive, consider "consist" (sit/stand together), "persist" (stay sitting), "resist" (keep standing against some force, stand back), "exist" (from ex-sist, "stand out"), "static" (sitting), "state" (what is sitting).

- In German we say "Wintersonnenwende", which translates as "winter sun turn-around". The Latin term is merely known to astronomers, if at all. (The same holds for "equinox", which we call "Tagundnachtgleiche", "day and night equality", where "equinox" is known to astronomers plus fans of J.M. Jarre.) The lack of Latin terms in German makes it arguably difficult to learn its vocabulary for foreign language learners.

- Most people believe that on winter solstice, the sun rises at the latest and sets at the earliest. This is only true if you measure time by sundials. Actually, according to our clocks, the sun begins to set later at Dec 10 already, while it takes until Jan 4 before it rises earlier again. The difference between sunrise and sunset is smallest at winter solstice, however. This is reflected in the "time equation", which states that our 24h clock deviates from the actual time by up to ±15 min due to the elliptical course of the Earth around the sun.

By the way, as for temperature, we had 14°C today (57°F), definitely too warm, although the time around Christmas is known to bring us warm weather. I saw that New York and other areas of the US already had heavy snow, which shows a paradox that the climate change brings us rising temperatures in Europe throughout the year, while in the US you seem to get harder winters.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

AND NOW THIS !!! Damn ?

1769643208_NakaatomiPlazaJohnMcLain.thumb.jpg.a920c7c3bf1fbeb81102490fcd98444d.jpg

So, I can see the conspiracy really clear in this picture. 2xLeft with no return, 21:21, tower representing pride and power of a nation...

So it´s just not in Sweden they have a tradition of sending Die Hard as a xmas tradition?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had to share this one as it has a lot of different aspects to it...

(First) An orchestra behind (second) the Wagakki Band and (third) Amy Lee from Evanescence.  I still like the original studio version better, but this version I think will have a wider appeal, especially to the older crowd here.

• Like 1