IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Police in the Malaysian district of Miri have used a steamroller to crush 1069 computers allegedly used to mine Bitcoin, using stolen electricity which often causes blackouts.  Dozens of raids, six arrests with sentences of up to eight months and $1,900 fines, and the destruction of three houses. (HT The Register.)

handout_miri_police_malsyia_crushed_mini

Government waste and stupidity.  The Malaysian government could have upgraded many of their countries computers on the cheap.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SkyPilot said:

Government waste and stupidity.  The Malaysian government could have upgraded many of their countries computers on the cheap.

If that would happen here in Germany, I'd guess that there is just no proper bureaucratic process for that.

If nothing else, the Malay govt could have recouped a significant amount of their lost capital (from the stolen energy), due to the ongoing chip shortage, by simply SELLING the hardware.  That was a bitcoin mining operation, so there would have been hawt GPUs in there.  Even second hand, those would have fetched a pretty penny right now.

• Like 1

If you are making a direct copy then DVD Decrypter has always been my goto. Rip to ISO and burn all with the same program. Also has the capability to remove certain limits on the original like the inability to skip trailers and stuff like that. Been using it for like 20 years now. 

Edited by Mitkraft
  • Like 4

Picked up an old xp Machine yesterday, complete with floppy driven dvd drive. I've cleaned it all up and am using it as a backup/file server for the house. 6 HD's  installed . 1 drive full of music.

1 drive is a 160gb tape backup.

3 drives full of movies, including all John Wayne, mash, just about every sitcom series from the 80s, remember ALF?  And of course, all star treks.

Anyway, I think I've got em all, including dark shadows, Maud, Simpsons, three stooges...on and on... ?

Using Plex to broadcast to my TV if I wanted, and using serviio for my music to my stereo.

This leaves my better PC to flight simulator 2020..

And the 33" tv next to the xp Machine (now in win7), also runs my classic99 which sits left of my TI box with tipi.

IMG_20210731_101045549.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, GDMike said:

Picked up an old xp Machine yesterday, complete with floppy driven dvd drive. I've cleaned it all up and am using it as a backup/file server for the house. 6 HD's  installed . 1 drive full of music.

1 drive is a 160gb tape backup.

3 drives full of movies, including all John Wayne, mash, just about every sitcom series from the 80s, remember ALF?  And of course, all star treks.

Anyway, I think I've got em all, including dark shadows, Maud, Simpsons, three stooges...on and on... ?

Using Plex to broadcast to my TV if I wanted, and using serviio for my music to my stereo.

This leaves my better PC to flight simulator 2020..

And the 33" tv next to the xp Machine (now in win7), also runs my classic99 which sits left of my TI box with tipi.

IMG_20210731_101045549.jpg

I LOVE the setup!  The window view outside really appeals to me.  :)

Your ALF statement made me think of the Simpsons episode with Milhouse and the ALF pogs, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Hahaha..I did a good job of hiding the deck to the left that is in the middle of being rebuilt..WIP

It's an eyesore at the moment...

Uhh... the old PC died last night.. but turned out to be a bad stick of ram... lucky me.

I feel you.  My yard looks pretty awful right now because it's been so hot the last week.  We got a cool front today, though, so i should get out and work on the yard tomorrow when i'm not busy with work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GDMike said:

My ac unit sprung a leak. Ruined my kitchen ceiling... I've been busy with this crap lately.

IMG_20210801_131327823.jpg

IMG_20210801_131314865.jpg

I know your pain, I was driving to my new job in Jasper Alabama this Friday, and had fuel injector issues big time. Was still 26 miles from the Alabama line on west side of Atlanta. Had to call son to bring my Suburban and tow me home yesterday with a tow strap. 275 mile drive and we got home at 11 pm last night, 36 hours of no sleep. Rough. Forgot to mention, it's a 3500 crew cab dually, with a utility box. To big to use a tow bar. We tried.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

Omg. That's horrible. Especially with this weather. Good grief. Guess I'll be buying a set of injectors as soon as I can too. I've never replaced them after replacing my fuel tank and sending unit. Just waiting on moolah.

Well the good news was that My engine still ran so I had a/c while being pulled and today I found the problem may be electrical (bad connection or wire, easy enough fix), had it running fine for about 15 minutes, then the code threw again. And the man still wants me for the job. I just have to determine if this job was meant for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Ac people showed up and the leaking stopped. They said they'll come back this afternoon because no leak found... but half my ceiling is ruined.

Ours are in the ceiling.  Both the pan and the unit have an overflow/drain line leading outside, and sensors to shut the unit down if the pan happens to fill. 2 years ago the unit was partially plugged though fortunately, no damage.  If you have gravity drain lines be sure those aren't partially plugged.  Water damage is never fun :(  

• Like 3