IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Yup, sounds like what I've got. Lines are open, I verified with the water hose. They told me that they need to change the secondary pan out. Until then I'll be dumping water buckets. At least now it's only a drop every 5 seconds it seems as I can see it dripping.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tropical Storm Fred came ashore this afternoon about 80 miles to my west.  At the house we saw wind gusts around 15mph/24kph/13kn.  Since Irma, my neighborhood experiences some kind of power issue every time a fly farts.  I have UPSes on pretty much everything in my house that plugs into a wall: entertainment system, under the bed, on the fridge, the freezer, the garage door opener, every lamp in the living room, on my arcade cabinets, on the cat's water fountain...

Around about 6:20PM EST (18:20-04:00) I was watching some videos on the projector while making configuration changes to a customer switch and RDP into my desktop to work up some invoices.  All of a sudden things seemed off to me.  The power had flickered a lot earlier but had not caught my attention much.  I got up and walked around the house a bit and realized that I was listening to UPS fans running, and it hit me that the power was out.  At about that moment the projector shut off as its UPS exhausted.

I checked the UPS logs and find we had been without power for about 30 minutes.  Of course, I have all these UPSes to keep things running like this, but I got a good chuckle about having gone so long without power without knowing.

Man, if only I had a whole-house generator.

• Like 4

I have a Generac that will power everything in the house except the dryer and air conditioner compressor (two big power hogs). We lost power for eight hours last summer. The Generac kicked in after 30 seconds, and we were the only house as far as we could see with power .BTW, it is natural gas powered so no lugging gas cans around. Good in case of a "zombie apocalypse" as well ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

I have a Generac that will power everything in the house except the dryer and air conditioner compressor (two big power hogs). We lost power for eight hours last summer. The Generac kicked in after 30 seconds, and we were the only house as far as we could see with power .BTW, it is natural gas powered so no lugging gas cans around. Good in case of a "zombie apocalypse" as well ?

I would love to have a NG-powered generator, and while we have gas around here, I have yet to live in a place with gas service.  My only option would be to go with a propane tank, and where I live right now has too small of a yard for that and the houses are too densely packed to permit one.

While most of the electronics will only last 30 minutes to an hour, the lights will run for two to six hours.  It is amusing to look down the street and see I am the only one with lights.  Though, yesterday I heard a neighbor a street over had fired up his generator within the first hour.  I am curious if he has a whole-house or a portable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know why, but I did a very silly thing tonight after work. --I think I did it mostly because I could. I have no application in mind for it whatsoever.

Still--

I have these small glass bottles/vials, that I picked up for about 25 cents each, with screw on metal caps.  I also have some medium gauge copper wire, rosin-core tin type solder, and entirely too much time without any supervision.

I also have an LCR meter just laying around.

So, I made the most ghetto electrolytic capacitor ever.

Basically, I wrapped the body of the bottle, (as neat and flat as easily done without special tools), then flowed the solder to make a metallic jacket on the outside, then poked a hole in the top of the cap, fed more wire down through the hole, then soldered it in place.  Filled it up with saturated table salt + tapwater after that.

Turns out it is almost dead nuts on 140 picofarads for value. (140.3pF, with some wiggle, but not a whole lot.)

(If I recall correctly, the magic with such a capacitor is the amount of surface area for the plates, and the thickness of the dielectric. The outside of the vial only has so much surface, so the resulting jacket is constrained on its surface area as well. A commercial can-type lytic cap has two sheets of metal, with a paper dielectric between them, wrapped up super tight inside the can, and saturated with a special organic based electrolyte. The sheets are super thin, so there is a lot of surface area. I was not really expecting an amazing value here, but 140pF is more than I anticipated for such a small vial. It is essentially a tiny leyden jar-- the historical ones used in early electricity research were significantly larger (and thus had more surface, and thus much higher capacitance values. Wikipedia says 1nF.) than this tiny thing, which is about as big as a fat, short finger. I think the thinness of the glass is a factor, as the glass is rather thin.)

I would have to string a bunch of them together in parallel to make anything even remotely interesting, but still.  Amusing that it was so close to a whole number for its value. Would be even neater if it was a clean 150pF, but it's not.

• Like 1

Did not feel like starting a thread for this, so asking here hoping someone can help:

I used the ignore feature on a thread i was tired of awhile back.

Now, i have no idea how to "un-ignore" it.

Where can you see a list of topics you've chose to ignore?

I can only find a similar setting for ignored members.

I sent a message to @Albert but have not heard anything back.

3 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Did not feel like starting a thread for this, so asking here hoping someone can help:

I used the ignore feature on a thread i was tired of awhile back.

Now, i have no idea how to "un-ignore" it.

Where can you see a list of topics you've chose to ignore?

I can only find a similar setting for ignored members.

I sent a message to @Albert but have not heard anything back.

https://atariage.com/forums/settings/  last thing on the left

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

how do you get a license to take 4 deer?

Is that child exploitation, where you send the kidlings off into the woods to bag more than you would otherwise be allowed, using their own permits?

In Kentucky, you can take only one buck and I think three female deer on your initial deer tag purchase.  After you fill your tags, you can purchase additional tags for female deer.  In the part of Kentucky I live, I could take an unlimited number of females as long as you buy the tags.  I have taken 6 some years, though the past 2 years, I have not taken any but not for lack of trying.  My parents sold their farm, and where I am able to hunt, I am limited to hunting with either a bow or crossbow.  I missed a buck a couple of weeks ago when the air was stopped by johnson grass and I missed another doe when I thought she was 40 yards out (she was 30 yards out) and I shot just over the top of her back.

I'll be back out again this Saturday, weather permitting.

Beery

• Like 1

I should add, technically, I did take a deer last  year, but that was with a knife.  Lot harder to take down that way.  Roadkill put down after my buddy hit it with his Lexus.  I gave him the loin, and took the meat from both shoulders and one hip and put into jalapeno-pepper jack summer sausage.  The other hip was in bad shape where he hit it.

Beery

• Like 1