IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

3 hours ago, jrhodes said:

This is all i see in that post:

flying-spaghetti-monster.thumb.jpg.07ed8f05fc83f12a45f936c87d82bdbf.jpg

I am not getting this reference.. :(  Can you help an old guy out?

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs?

All your noodles are belong to us?

I'm a Pastafarian in New York?

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Your post is nothing but a mess of characters, mixed up like a bowl of spaghetti.

I assume it was code for a picture of sort?

Ahh.. It is a picture.  I will try a different approach to putting it in the post.

It looks ok here on my windows browser(Edge) and my mac laptop (Chrome)

So, I have been working on a little side project. (faux wood luggage -> 1970s aesthetic luggable, with modern parts!)

My display came in the mail today, and I get the next few days off.  Time to design, print, then install some mounting hardware.

I am expecting 150 switches in the mail come monday, from which to fashion a keyboard. (With wood keytops)

Lookie! There's room for a pretty wood bezel, the button strip, and some speakers!

PXL_20220108_124030562.thumb.jpg.163c98e9c84d1db9c719b784c5f42401.jpg

(Yes, the display came with VGA/DVI/HDMI driver board and power board. There will be plenty of room to install those on the printed mounting hardware along with the button strip and speaker provisions.)

You can see the 360W 12v industrial supply with 300W picoATX bolted to the side there, along with the PCIe 16x flex cable to mount the GPU sideways/flat.

I decided this would be cleaner than abusing laptop chargers, even if it will be noisier.

There is still room to put a 2.5" laptop spinny disk in for swap. (Board has NGFF m.2 style ssd provisions)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

I occasionally enjoy watching obscure Japanese films, and today, this shows up in my Suggested videos on YT.

I'm totally at a loss to describe how awesome this is. Really makes me wish they could do a full movie of this!

A mix of the original story... Kinda superspeed of the original, but... WOW Predator as the secret samurai!!! COOOL! I like!

• Like 3

Well.. switches arrived.

Did not notice these were 2 pole, 2 state switches. They have a nice buckling spring mechanism inside, and a nice travel. But sadly are state toggle.

I opened one and observed how they function. It will be a pita, but judicious use of either epoxy putty or gel superglue will prevent the catch that traps it in state 1 on press, allowing it to immediately return to state 0. doing that to all 102 keys will be annoying, I think thats the new slog in the project. I can then just wire on state 1, and they will function like the momentary switches i thought I had ordered.

Ordered some "keyslot" shaped television speakers after doing a digital version of the screen retention system. There is room. ;)

They need screw provisions though, so monitor retention system is on hold until I can measure them.

• Like 1

If you had some trouble pronouncing my last name (Zapf), here is another challenge, freshly coined:

Currently, the Impfpflicht is discussed in German politics (impfen = vaccinate, Pflicht = obligation). I recommend it as a word in German language tests ... I do have some problems myself to pronounce it fluently, and it's supposedly not an adverse effect of my third vaccination last Sunday. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The GTX 1050 I got second hand from amazon arrived.

It CLEARLY came from China.  The box, and all the instruction insert materials, were all written in Chinese.

That said, it turns out the PCIe flex cable is not even needed!  The card is low-profile, and fits with almost perfect clearance for where the keyboard provision will go.

Just waiting for speakers, and then it is off to the store for an el-cheapo USB keyboard (to harvest a logic board from), some contact adhesive, and some wood veneer planks and squarestock from the hardware store. (need to get some graphite electrical contactors for my Dremel tool while I am there also.) Some 3D printing for some drill/cutting jigs, the screen retainer, and the keyboard switch backplane, and I should just about have the project wrapped up. (after spending a day or so futzing with the switches to make them momentary instead of 2 state.)

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

The GTX 1050 I got second hand from amazon arrived.

Honestly happy with my 1050.  I have considered upgrading several times, but this thing chugs along just fine and only cost me $150 when I bought it.  I can run three ffmpeg mpeg decode and h.264 encode streams at once without losing performance, with acceptable run time and output quality.

The only problem I have is mine takes up two slots, which covers the only spare PCIe 4x slot on my board which I need for more USB3 ports.  The board has two 4x, but the other one is taken up by a quad GigE card I use for the iSCSI plane and virtualization networking.

9 minutes ago, Willsy said:

Always amuses me how something is described as "Super Super Rare Rare" ... and yet the seller has 5 of them to get rid of!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Unless you intend to put a TI 99 into orbit, or put it into a highly radioactive environment, why bother purchasing one in the first place?

Sure, they look pretty, but if you want that synthesis of pretty and brutalist aesthetics, go for a Soviet Clone processor. I have never seen a Soviet TMS9900 clone, but that just means it would actually BE rare if you happened to have one.

The PDP-100 and 8086 processor clones are quite common, but have that "Pretty + Brutalism" aesthetic going on.

See? Look how pretty it is!

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Always amuses me how something is described as "Super Super Rare Rare" ... and yet the seller has 5 of them to get rid of!

This one is super rare with its control sheet.

IMG_20211127_181900_c2i.jpg

IMG_20211127_181959_c2i.jpg

Edited by humeur
  • Like 4