IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I suppose in 5 years and if Microsoft gets its way, the NEW OS will require a VM headset, a cloud computing account a piece of crap computer with a dramatic video processor for driving the headset.

Each user will be presented in a lounge where sharing and meeting users can be accessed. They  can watch movies together, listen to music and have discussions in forums, order food, watch sports, make bets, etc... all in VM.

Sad.. the end of the common OS booting from hard drives is over 

Edited by GDMike

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I suppose in 5 years and if Microsoft gets its way, the NEW OS will require a VM headset, a cloud computing account a piece of crap computer with a dramatic video processor for driving the headset.

If Intel has its way, none of this will matter because hardware acceleration will not work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDMike said:

Each user will be presented in a lounge where sharing and meeting users can be accessed. They  can watch movies together, listen to music and have discussions in forums, order food, watch sports, make bets, etc... all in VM.

Sad.. the end of the common OS booting from hard drives is over 

The 99 will boot from disk forever.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheBF said:

If my daughters M1 Mac is any indication Intel better watch their backside!

Wow. What a machine.

My distaste and loathing for Mac aside, I would love to see Intel knocked off its high-horse.  At this point I do not care if AMD, ARM, SPARC, M1, whatever does it, but Intel has lived past its expiration.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

My distaste and loathing for Mac aside, I would love to see Intel knocked off its high-horse.  At this point I do not care if AMD, ARM, SPARC, M1, whatever does it, but Intel has lived past its expiration.

Let’s do a kickstarter to restart MOS Technology and create a 64 bit multi core 6502…

I’m mocking of course, but I miss the day where there were more than two option on the table and every brand of computer brought something unique to the market.

• Like 2

Well, TI is making another, what, a multi  billion dollar plant next door to me in Texas, shaking the world again...oh... and Samsung decided to build a multi billion dollar plant rt up the street so they can go to TI on their lunch breaks looking for info...

Maybe we'll see new robots using new calculators.

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Where do I sign up to be a corporate spy?

Yes, like everyone else, they just want to know how Americans spend their lunch hour. Oops...is it still an hour..hmm maybe not anymore, maybe just 15 mins. Maybe 30... maybe it's eat while at your desk like I used to do BITD...we need answers

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 1

Question for those of you who know how to use github...

I am trying to search a repository that contains TI/Geneve assembler source files. 

When I try to search for a routine named "break", github returns at most what it considers the top three results per file. In this case, it returned 21 results across 21 files.  Alas, the subprogram "break" is called multiple times so the result I need - the location and file containing the routine - doesn't appear. 

Is there some magic to searching the files in a repository or is this simply a (frustrating) limitation?  I'm close to copying all 150+ source files into a single text file just so that I can search and find things, but I have to hope/imagine there is a better way.

I usually don't work on Github in this way but only on the local copy of the repository. Github has another bad limitation when a folder has many entries; thus, entering the path src/mame/drivers gives me a message "Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 1,763 entries were omitted from the list."

I'm using jEdit as an editor which offers a search among files in a directory, so I can get a search result list with the respective files where the occurrence is located.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 5:27 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Question for those of you who know how to use github...

I am trying to search a repository that contains TI/Geneve assembler source files. 

When I try to search for a routine named "break", github returns at most what it considers the top three results per file. In this case, it returned 21 results across 21 files.  Alas, the subprogram "break" is called multiple times so the result I need - the location and file containing the routine - doesn't appear. 

Is there some magic to searching the files in a repository or is this simply a (frustrating) limitation?  I'm close to copying all 150+ source files into a single text file just so that I can search and find things, but I have to hope/imagine there is a better way.

One thing I learned from some training videos is that accessing a GitHub repository via https://github1s.com/rstropek/htl-leo-csharp-4/tree/master/exercises/0070-aad-api/api (using github1s instead of github) will open the code in Visual Studio code instead of the default https://github.com/rstropek/htl-leo-csharp-4/tree/master/exercises/0070-aad-api/api view. That's pretty cool for searching code samples
  • Like 3