Jump to content
INVISIBLE

OT: Dumping Thread

Recommended Posts

I had a hunch this was out there. The fortuitously, or unfortunately, branded Covidien ventilator. Covidien was spun off from HP. I like how they echoed the old logo.

 

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.7b6500b97028ed400d393dc77a63e876.png    image.png.f3ceb6a1641207213b892085c65346e6.png       image.png.d6c38064412ea6d59fb923b7fe764c27.png    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Question for the Win10 gurus...

I've been prepping some files and renamed one to "ros-copy" expecting to see it show up above "ros-s". Instead, it seems Win10 is ignoring the "-" when it orders the files.  This is extremely annoying. I didn't find any option in File Explorer nor anything in a quick google search that would make file explorer sort 'properly'.

 

image.png.3f8df00ee92720948f321579b27e4d24.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit me, but isn´t this Windows behaviour as usual ?

I tried this names in my Win 8.1, same result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erf, boyfriend decided to ragequit on, of all things, Minecraft. Even on easy, he kept on getting ganged up on and slaughtered by enemies, to the point where he couldn't last much longer than a few in-game days there. I feel bad for him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Hit me, but isn´t this Windows behaviour as usual ?

I tried this names in my Win 8.1, same result.

Well, you can disable the "smart" numeric sorting via policy or regedit. For example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/91417-enable-disable-numerical-sorting-file-explorer-windows-10-a.html

 

I thought maybe the same can be done to enforce literal sorting for other characters, like dashes, instead of pretending they aren't in the filename. 🙄

 

If you use the shell (e.g., CMD command prompt) they sort literally, as I expected. 
image.png.49f693646fa506e3759dca83355ab4f0.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Well, you can disable the "smart" numeric sorting via policy or regedit. For example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/91417-enable-disable-numerical-sorting-file-explorer-windows-10-a.html

 

I thought maybe the same can be done to enforce literal sorting for other characters, like dashes, instead of pretending they aren't in the filename. 🙄

 

If you use the shell (e.g., CMD command prompt) they sort literally, as I expected. 
image.png.49f693646fa506e3759dca83355ab4f0.png

 

OK, you hit me :grin:

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, great, one of the recent virus cases in our county is a worker at one of the local hospitals where one of my boyfriend's sisters works at. This isn't good. She's alright, for now, but to know it hit so close to us... we're petrified, now...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voyager 1: social distancing before it was cool.

 

I envy that machine.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFW you are forced to buy a $25 plugin for a free 3D modeling program JUST to get some of your models to work with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*grits teeth* The IRS and SSA offices are closed, due to this pandemic, meaning I can't contact them to see how I can file for the stimulus check (IRS) or how my SSI application is going (SSA). How in the hell is Trump expecting the checks to go out, if the IRS is literally frozen to a stop, thanks to this pandemic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro = a prefix meaning to be for.

Con = a prefix meaning to be against.

Progress = forward movement in a desired direction.

 

Therefore, Congress = to be against progress.

procon.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, xabin said:

*grits teeth* The IRS and SSA offices are closed, due to this pandemic, meaning I can't contact them to see how I can file for the stimulus check (IRS) or how my SSI application is going (SSA). How in the hell is Trump expecting the checks to go out, if the IRS is literally frozen to a stop, thanks to this pandemic?

The IRS itself is an essential department by statute.  Some personnel are considered non-essential as are its offices.

 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

 

I am not certain I can help you any further than to point you to where Google would take you, that is https://irs.gov, which contains a link to this page:

 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

 

Quote

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, xabin said:

*grits teeth* The IRS and SSA offices are closed, due to this pandemic, meaning I can't contact them to see how I can file for the stimulus check (IRS) or how my SSI application is going (SSA). How in the hell is Trump expecting the checks to go out, if the IRS is literally frozen to a stop, thanks to this pandemic?

 

The FAQ is saying:  folks on SS or low income, who typically do not file any return, can use a free-filing website to file a 2019 return. 

 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep an eye on that page as indicated.  Just two hours ago it came across that the Ways and Means Committee is "criticizing an Internal Revenue Service requirement that seniors and other groups file a "simple" tax return in order to receive economic relief payments"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue is that technically, I'm not on SSI or any other form of disability, but thanks to a long and arduous battle to get on SSI that lasted a full decade (and is still ongoing), I've recently been declared "medically frail" by the FSSA, and thus, cannot work. I haven't been able to file for any taxes, as a result. I dunno if I should file, or wait for a form to be put out for people like me, as the IRS states it may get:

 

Quote
 

Free File and Economic Impact Payments

 

If you would normally file a 2019 tax return, you can still use Free File now.

People who are generally or otherwise not required to file should wait, like low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, and some veterans and individuals with disabilities. We will have more information for you soon. Check IRS.gov/coronavirus
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm. Well, that just leaves what I'm supposed to do, if I should file for a return now or wait to see what paperwork they come up with for people like me to file in lieu of a tax return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xabin said:

Mmm. Well, that just leaves what I'm supposed to do, if I should file for a return now or wait to see what paperwork they come up with for people like me to file in lieu of a tax return.

I suspect all that will be ironed out by the time the IRS posts instructions.  Even if the filing introduces an undue burden as suggested by the WMC, if you have not been required to file anything then the government still needs to know 1) you exist, 2) who are you, and 3) how to get it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I suspect all that will be ironed out by the time the IRS posts instructions.  Even if the filing introduces an undue burden as suggested by the WMC, if you have not been required to file anything then the government still needs to know 1) you exist, 2) who are you, and 3) how to get it to you.

Yeah, I know there's a form for updating your address, but I'm not sure if I would need to use that or not, especially since I've been filing for SSI for so long, that the government has my address, already, through that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xabin said:

Yeah, I know there's a form for updating your address, but I'm not sure if I would need to use that or not, especially since I've been filing for SSI for so long, that the government has my address, already, through that.

So far as I know and understand, Social Security Administrator and Internal Revenue Service records are not intermingled any more than necessary back-end filing.  For instance, my customers provide me with a 1099 and a copy of that to the IRS; employers provide employees with form W2, and the IRS a copied of those W2s as well as their payroll tax filings; &c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All government systems are islands. And all agencies have no idea what the other is doing or has done for the most part. The scary thing is every few years the treasury department hires a new contractor to handle their it and that contractor has to bid all the systems and all the data systems and all the backups and all the employees and everything and they're mostly contractors that are hired just for the job. Then when they lose the contract they destroy everything and they throw away all the equipment because the new contractor has to bid all new equipment. Rinse repeat...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...