IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

photo.jpg?sz=48 IS THERE A RASPBERRY PI BBS SYSTEM?

I've been thinking that it would be nice to run a little BBS, since my router is on 24/7 anyway. To me the Raspberry Pi seems like the obvious solution. The RPi is self-contained, has all the connections, enough memory, takes little power and it's small enough to be tucked out of the way.

I just don't know if there is any BBS software available for it, does anyone here know?

photo.jpg?sz=48 IS THERE A RASPBERRY PI BBS SYSTEM?

I've been thinking that it would be nice to run a little BBS, since my router is on 24/7 anyway. To me the Raspberry Pi seems like the obvious solution. The RPi is self-contained, has all the connections, enough memory, takes little power and it's small enough to be tucked out of the way.

I just don't know if there is any BBS software available for it, does anyone here know?

Any linux BBS

a dos bbs sw in dosbox maybe

Greg

they had to know what a TI-99 was as an inside joke.

Yeah !

Below are some more visuals of the beast - audio seems to be redone ala Portal. There's gotta be a better clue/link like a 16k bit shoehorned, a strange looking solid state cartridge port, parts of the old TI-99/4 keyboard, infamous joysticks, title color palette, GROM, PEB - anything !?!!

Edited by sometimes99er

Anybody want 180 old used calculators for just $5,500.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Calculator-Collection-180-Calcs-LED-/251305469894?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a82f927c6

Somebody was realllly excessive compulsive when it came to have a calculator handy. :)

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1

Here's something I find interesting. I am using a low end and ancient laptop these days. I am dual booting, using Lubuntu for most of my computing but using Windows XP for TI development work. Everyone knows what bloatware Windows is, so why is it that the horribly bloated and inefficient Windows XP can load and be ready to use in noticeably less time (around 40 seconds) than the lightweight, efficient and speedy Lubuntu system? (Around 46 seconds). Of course there is nothing on Windows except a text editor, Win994a and Classic 99, but still.....

LOL ... I cannot watch the video because:

"This video is unfortunately not available in Germany because it may contain music from UMG for which we have not yet reached an agreement with the GEMA."

(GEMA is an institution that manages royalties for artists in Germany. There is an ongoing debate between GEMA and Youtube because the GEMA model of royalties management is incompatible with Youtube's ad-based system. GEMA sued Google/Youtube, then Youtube put a similar notice stating that GEMA refuses to provide a license, then GEMA sued again because the notice sounded as if it was merely GEMA's fault that the music is not available on Youtube, and unbelievably they won.)

OK, let's just go on, nothing to see here, just a dinosaur from pre-digital times exhaling its hopefully last breath.

Everyone knows what bloatware Windows is, so why is it that the horribly bloated and inefficient Windows XP can load and be ready to use in noticeably less time (around 40 seconds) than the lightweight, efficient and speedy Lubuntu system? (Around 46 seconds). Of course there is nothing on Windows except a text editor, Win994a and Classic 99, but still.....

Because times change and prejudices need to change with them. ;)

• Like 1

I still prefer Unix to Linux, after all Linux was design solely because at the time no PC could load a full version of Unix like today.

Besides anything written in Linux I can be ported into Unix, unlike Linux that can not use new features of Unix but instead write own versions lacking features of Unix.

Not a knock on Linux just stating facts. I love Linux but honestly Unix is much much older than Linux or Windows or any other OS used today.

(Much more debugging done in over 41 years Unix has been around. Unix created in 1973)

By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINUX, it is 20 years old today!!!

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1

exactly. Linux is getting to be just as much as a bloated p.o.s as Windows!

I'm not sure that's a fair statement - some Linux distros are highly bloated, but not all. I bet Senior_Falcon could load TinyCore in a matter of seconds on his machine - probably Puppy too ;). I haven't run ArchLinux on the real hardware yet, but it loads reasonably quickly on VirtualBox (about 36 seconds). That's from Grub menu to fully loaded KDE session (typing in a password as well ;)) - and KDE is one of the most heavy-weight desktops out there. While it may not be a huge improvement from Senior's, the host system is using 87% of the memory when the virtual Arch system also running, after all. I bet that boot time would improve on real hardware, too.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that's a fair statement - some Linux distros are highly bloated, but not all. I bet Senior_Falcon could load TinyCore in a matter of seconds on his machine - probably Puppy too ;). I haven't run ArchLinux on the real hardware yet, but it loads reasonably quickly on VirtualBox (about 36 seconds). That's from Grub menu to fully loaded KDE session (typing in a password as well ;)) - and KDE is one of the most heavy-weight desktops out there. While it may not be a huge improvement from Senior's, the host system is using 87% of the memory when the virtual Arch system also running, after all. I bet that boot time would improve on real hardware, too.

True, but I can build you a version of Windows XP embedded that boots in 30 seconds too. The distro is everything in both cases.

• Like 1

Besides anything written in Linux I can be ported into Unix, unlike Linux that can not use new features of Unix but instead write own versions lacking features of Unix.

Not a knock on Linux just stating facts.

To some degree, but not without major fuss on Solaris. A lot of stuff in AmigaOS now is ported from BSD, and much from Linux.

Also, my XP x64 machine, Q6700 on an Intel DQ965GBF, boots in 22 seconds from the end of POST. Well, 28 with the two Firewire drives and one USB3 drive connected.