IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

That looks OK for a low-cost solution. I use a Pace PPS-25A for most of my work (or its big brother when I have to do a lot of vacuum desoldering), but an iron to go with it will set you back $100 all by itself (although they are long lasting--I've soldered about 300 cartridges together with one tip, and it is still in outstanding shape).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361023323212?

• Like 1

What from I've been able to gather is use an iron that's got the appropriate wattage for the kind of work you need done.

Well this one goes down to 200C (392F) and goes as high as 480C in the past I've usually just run around 340C for most of my work as and I don't want to risk damaging any components, but want the solder to do it's job quickly.

That looks OK for a low-cost solution.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and order it then.

• Like 1

Need some advice...

My old soldering iron bit the dust, and I have some surgery to perform on my TI, so I was looking at inexpensive soldering stations, since it'll be rarely used. What do you think of << this one >> ? Any comments or better options?

$(KGrHqF,!lcFJ(+i8MLCBSeHJlCop!~~60_57.J

I have it and it works quite well. Excellent quality to price ratio for the hobbyist.

ANOTHER INK JET PRINTER BITES THE DUST!

I'm so sick of dealing with Ink Jet printers! I only had this new Epson for under a year and the YELLOW print head is burned out.

Can anyone recommend an AFFORDABLE COLOR Laser Printer? I'm "HOPING" to find one around $250.00. Is that unreasonable?

My other criteria is to have reasonably priced color toner cartridges that last awhile. Thanks.

ANOTHER INK JET PRINTER BITES THE DUST!

I'm so sick of dealing with Ink Jet printers! I only had this new Epson for under a year and the YELLOW print head is burned out.

Can anyone recommend an AFFORDABLE COLOR Laser Printer? I'm "HOPING" to find one around $250.00. Is that unreasonable?

My other criteria is to have reasonably priced color toner cartridges that last awhile. Thanks.

HP makes some good color lasers in that price range. Consumables are reasonable, as well. I have deployed several to my customers, but off the top of my head I do not have a model number.

HP makes some good color lasers in that price range. Consumables are reasonable, as well. I have deployed several to my customers, but off the top of my head I do not have a model number.

Yeah, I'm sort of out of my knowledge zone when it comes to laser printers. Since I never considered one before, I never bothered to keep informed on them. I do require a WiFi, ALL-IN-ONE (with scanner) unit that will print in book form as well as two sided. I can go higher if needed, but I have to factor in those toner cartridges that can cost as much as some printers.

Yeah, I'm sort of out of my knowledge zone when it comes to laser printers. Since I never considered one before, I never bothered to keep informed on them. I do require a WiFi, ALL-IN-ONE (with scanner) unit that will print in book form as well as two sided. I can go higher if needed, but I have to factor in those toner cartridges that can cost as much as some printers.

It isn't laser but I have been quite pleased with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. I bought it from Office Depot 2+ years ago for work purposes. It scans, faxes, prints in color single or duplex scanning (both manual and automatic doc feed), has both wifi and direct-wired connectivity as well as USB and memory card ports. I print everything using draft mode and it still comes out looking nice. I have not compared consumable costs lately and if you look at Amazon reviews, there are raving good and bad reviews. Just thought I'd share as the cost was in the $200 range when I got it, in case you don't find something you like in the laser category.

It isn't laser but I have been quite pleased with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. I bought it from Office Depot 2+ years ago for work purposes. It scans, faxes, prints in color single or duplex scanning (both manual and automatic doc feed), has both wifi and direct-wired connectivity as well as USB and memory card ports. I print everything using draft mode and it still comes out looking nice. I have not compared consumable costs lately and if you look at Amazon reviews, there are raving good and bad reviews. Just thought I'd share as the cost was in the $200 range when I got it, in case you don't find something you like in the laser category.

I've had 6 HP's over the years. The earlier ones with the print head in the cartridge worked just find, even if they were $pendy to run. (I do a LOT of printing). On the later models, if you do not use them on a regular basis, the ink dries in the line and the printer is toast. The ink in HP's also expire and refuse to print... SO DON'T STOCK UP on HP ink! I learned that lesson the expensive way. Also, the last HP printer I had seemed to use a ton of ink every time I turned it on. I felt like HP was picking my pocket.

This last printer I bought proves the old adage, "You only get what you pay for."

Well, shit, you want it to make you coffee, too? ;) Just kidding -- happens all the time: recommend, increase requirements, recommend, increase requirements, recommend... heheheheh

• Like 1

I've had 6 HP's over the years. The earlier ones with the print head in the cartridge worked just find, even if they were $pendy to run. (I do a LOT of printing). On the later models, if you do not use them on a regular basis, the ink dries in the line and the printer is toast. The ink in HP's also expire and refuse to print... SO DON'T STOCK UP on HP ink! I learned that lesson the expensive way. Also, the last HP printer I had seemed to use a ton of ink every time I turned it on. I felt like HP was picking my pocket.

This last printer I bought proves the old adage, "You only get what you pay for."

I own the preceding model, an 8500 Pro, and it still works great after five years. In the Pro-series printers, the inks are all separate which is a good thing, but, yeah, if you do not print a lot definitely do not stock up, or if you do make sure you get the longest-living carts (you can look on the packaging.) It is also better ink and does great for photo printing.

I have deployed the 8600, as well, with good results. It is the right balance of quality and price, and it works great over Remote Desktop (a must for many of my customers.)

Well, shit, you want it to make you coffee, too? ;) Just kidding -- happens all the time: recommend, increase requirements, recommend, increase requirements, recommend... heheheheh

Well, HELL YES, why not make coffee too! :)

Seriously though, I've gotten used to the built in scanners on my last few printers and actually NEED them. Even the cheap a__ printer I have now scans, and does double sided print and book form... if you turn the paper over manually. I don't know what I'd do without the ability to print off my TI manuals.

• Like 1

Well, HELL YES, why not make coffee too! :)

Seriously though, I've gotten used to the built in scanners on my last few printers and actually NEED them. Even the cheap a__ printer I have now scans, and does double sided print and book form... if you turn the paper over manually. I don't know what I'd do without the ability to print off my TI manuals.

The 8500/8600 Pros do booklets. I used that function to print manuals for Pitfall! and Miner 2049er. (UGH, just typing that game's name makes me shudder. What an over-rated pile of shyte!!)

• Like 2

I gave up on inkjets 4 years ago, and now use the Brother MFC line of laser printers (MFC-7860DW). I stuck with monochrome because quite frankly there is precious little stuff I absolutely need to have in color. The price differential between monochrome and color can be substantial... These Brother multi-function printers are a gem and I am extremely pleased with them.

That said, I still love my trusty old Panasonic KXP-1123 dot matrix printer which is hooked up to my TI :)

Edited by Vorticon