IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Off Topic...

I recall looking through this forum that someone purchased the...

POWER+ 8000 SERIES SOLDERING IRON STATION

Its time to purchase new tips for my old Metcal SP-PW1-10 that I have used for 15+ years.

Would the Power+ 8000 be a nice upgrade to my Metcal or would you keep the Metcal?

post-41001-0-42173700-1431463151_thumb.jpg

post-41001-0-42836200-1431463193.jpg

I recall looking through this forum that someone purchased the...

POWER+ 8000 SERIES SOLDERING IRON STATION

Yeah, that was me. You know, purchasing new tips would probably be cheaper! :)

After using it for a while now I'm very happy with it. It heats extremely fast and maintains temperature very well.

The only drawback... Celsius only display.

The unit came with an extra heating element and tips.

Below are a couple of photos if you want a closer look at what you'll get. Click on the images for a LARGER view.

The Unit

gallery_35324_1027_1106123.jpg

The extra tips and heating element...

gallery_35324_1027_1303119.jpg

I had mentioned a few weeks ago that I had acquired an Apple IIe system, and have been playing around with it a bit. A few thoughts:

• The disk controller is much faster than the TI one
  • There is a program called ADTpro which uses the Apple's Super Serial card to transfer disk images back and forth to a PC, very similar in essence to the HDX system and just as easy to use. Much faster though.
  • The TI has a better keyboard
  • The Z80 Softcard from Microsoft rocks! It sits quietly in its slot and does not interfere with normal operations unless the computer is booted up with a CPM disk, at which point it takes over and you then have a great fully usable 80 col CPM system. The TI had the Morningstar CPM card, but it was produced in very limited quantities and never took off because it operated in 40col mode. CPM in 40col makes me shudder... Imagine the possibilities if we had real CPM on the TI... Forth, Fortran, Pascal, Cobol, compiled Basic, WordStar... Which makes me wonder: Anyone here actually has the Morningstar card? Is it something that could be adapted to work with the F18A chip?
  • Graphically the TI, in the right hands (Rasmus et al), looks much better.
  • I don't understand why the Apple II was so much more expensive than the other home computers of the day. From a build stand point, it's mostly an empty box...

Just rambling :)

I just did the same thing. I had to condense some space on my desk to get my old Dusty Apple IIe out of the crawl space and into the room. Works Great! I never had one as a kid due to the price and I loved my TI but so many people had the Apple so I had a chance to play on them a lot and have a lot of fun memories. The local College also had IIe's in their computer room along with some 8088 and 286 computers.

I have to re-learn all of the commands now.

* I also like the feel of the TI Keyboard Much Better

* The Apple has a lot more programs than the TI

* Expansion is easier and takes less space as the cards are added directly into the 8 slots inside the computer itself

* Accessing a Floppy Disk on the Apple is faster than the TI

* The TI cosmetically in my opinion looks much cooler with the Silver and Black

* I like both machines and have great memories with each but I spent a lot more time on the TI back in the day and it was my first real computer that I still prefer it over the Apple to this day.

post-41001-0-51323600-1431565575_thumb.jpg

Edited by TI-GAMER

Hey...

I took your advice and rearranged everything. Unfortunately I did have trouble getting to the floppy with the Console and Speech Synth being in the way so I had to do a couple of things.

Moved the TI to the left and the PEB a little to the right.

I then put Coasters or Sliders(that you use to move furniture around) under the PEB as the Flex Cable interfered with the floppy so I had to raise the whole PEB up some.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/103436292/smokador-knoll-chrome-2-tier-paper-tray#

Dont know if that pic will post, but if not...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/103436292/smokador-knoll-chrome-2-tier-paper-tray

Flip this upside down, set PEB on top. Silver and black, it matches, you dont have to offset your system, and the floppy drive is accessible.

Plus it looks cool as hell.

hmm, I would turn the PEB to its smaller side, like a tower, means standing up, on your left side.

With the floppies at the bottom (!) for very good access (you have to turn the drives in the PEB upsidedown, maybe)

And then I would place the Display in the middle, next to it, in front of the TI.

The flexcable so could go around, behind the Display.

Something (but only something :) like that one here in the upper right in the pic.

/EDIT/ and you can place your TV a bit higher with that paper-dingsbums from the thread above /

post-41141-0-73113600-1431568383_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-42716300-1431568399_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-28462200-1431568427_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-49463800-1431568465_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-70255700-1431568477_thumb.jpg

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 1

I would love to but they want $100 for it which is kind of steep just to prop the PEB up higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Knoll-SMOKADOR-Chrome-Desk-Double-Letter-Paper-Tray-Rare-Legal-Size-15-10-/221755181029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a1a387e5

I only found 1 available on ebay.

Your right that it would look good with the TI.

For 100$, I would buy this get get my PEB a little bit higher:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351033272765

:-D