IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

A couple of TI consoles showed up with really low ($1) starting bids. I put $10 max bid on them and up until the last few seconds I had them at around 6 bux then I lost in the last few seconds. Just a little while ago it sold for $10.50. Which one of you do I get very angry with? grrrr.

True, but .ti would not be the first TLD that didn't allow it.

ETA: Although, the rules for some of the country code domains are far more arbitrary than that. Local governments get to set them, and technological limitations are sometimes the least concern in some countries. ;)

I hope everyone is aware that Tibet is not really it's own country and there is a possibility that the servers for the .ti domains might be in China and therefore compromised from a security standpoint.

I'm having a hard time getting my brain around what you are saying. If a TLD is for a particular country then all data for an address in that TLD goes through that country? My internet architecture knowledge is very rusty but this doesn't sound right, is that true?

It's my understanding it's dependant on where the servers actually reside. While it's entirely possible that a server for an address could physically be in a different country than it's domain would suggest, I'm not sure how common that is. I mean, I doubt a .co.uk address would be in France.

Also consider the path to and from your computer to the hosting site. There is a lot of 'behind-the-scenes" data mining going on by security institutions in various nations, our own country included. One must take into account that China is one of the most repressive and controlling countries when it comes to Internet activity and anything coming or going with a foreign IP address is probably going to eventually be looked at by someone within the ranks of the PLA.

Has anyone done any background yet to see where it actually resides, who owns and who controls it?

Are you talking about the web server or the DNS server? Domain name has no bearing on where the web server is located. A domain name can be pointed at a server anywhere. I'm not sure how traffic goes though. I think traffic passes directly from the server to the client and not through the DNS server. Doesn't the DNS server just provide the IP address pointers for the server? Like I said, my internet architecture knowledge is rusty.

What I'm saying is that just because a TLD is for a particular country doesn't mean the website is hosted there.

Edited by Mitkraft

There are specific policies for domains; some allow for open registration, some others have restrictions. For instance, you can only get a .gov, .edu, .mil TLD for US-American institutions, while .com, .net, .org are open to everyone. New domains like .pro or .museum or .aero have their own restrictions.

The German .de domain requires you to have an administrative contact (admin-c) with a German postal address (while the owner may be living elsewhere).

The associated Internet address may be anywhere, but this may also depend on the registrar policy.

Note that all TLDs with two letters are country domains (ccTLD) even when they suggest to be prepositions or abbreviations, like .tv (Tuvalu), .to (Tonga), .at (Austria), .ag (Antigua and Barbuda) etc.

Also, there were always hot discussions about ccTLDs like .ps (Palestine).

What about the popup to configure your DNS-server on your own PC, for the "New Nations" ?

And what does "New Nations" mean here ? Just non-existent TLDs, I think.

Maybe somebody is doing his own, isolated DNS-stuff ? So, that you have to point your DNS-settings to him...#

Very dangerous, if so.

Means, that he solves the NN-Domains internally to his servers, with an isolated DNS-space,

and just passes through all other, non-solved, legal DNS-requests to the "real" internet ?

(while sniffing a little bit on your traffic and connections :) )

This also means that, if some day i.e. a "NN"-domain "accidentally" (from his view) like .TI becomes real, you cannot use it

because your redirected DNS-server won´t point there, as it is redirected to this faked .NN-domains, by his faked DNS-server

So this does not look legit at all. But if .TI really is for Tibet here, and if there is NO need to configure his DNS-Server

as yours, on your local PC, then it should be OK for this TLD. But I don´t think so.

EDIT: hmmm, I think .TI is just an already created "TLD" here (you can create more by yourself),

and so you have to change your local DNS-server, as described, to see it at all.

If so, it cannot be used/seen by other people. Nobody should change his DNS-server to an unknown one !

(And this is not possible on most company PCs.)

Maybe I am totally paranoid, but pls be careful ;)

• Like 3

For you electronic project buffs - I thought I'd throw this out there. Old Amigas such as the A500 are in dire need of an inexpensive scandoubler (among other things). Something that could plug into the external video port and converts it from 15khz to 30 or 60 VGA. The current options are in the $100 range. If something could be done at half that it'd make a killing. The only reason I would even think of posting this here is because it is very much needed and the developer community there doesn't seem to work together nicely so asking there is sure to bring a flame war hate fest down upon my head. I'm so much more impressed by the cooperation, sharing and productivity here that I dream of it someday. Like an f18A for the amiga chipset, or the USB keys for the Amiga - oh, so much that has been done for the TI would be refreshing on that platform. please, be careful when throwing tomatoes. The juice burns my eyes.

i was poking around- could something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/111780487964(i know, ebay link), be used for the Amiga stuff? It looks like you'd connect wires from it to the Amiga RGB port to provide the output you were wanting.

Allegedly yes, there's a tutorial someplace but that thing does so much more that I think a much smaller board can be created specific to the computer.

So, how realistic is this for prototyping for a guy like me who doesn't know pcb design?

I mean, couldn't I just make a stencil with an exacto knife and paint it on to a thin piece of wood with connections for resistors and such then drop a bit of solder to hole them in place and pain over the solder as a last step?

I dunno, I'm asking.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1305

i was poking around- could something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/111780487964(i know, ebay link), be used for the Amiga stuff? It looks like you'd connect wires from it to the Amiga RGB port to provide the output you were wanting.

WOW, and here it is!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connect-favourite-wired-or-wireless-USB-keyboard-to-Amiga-500-500-and-other-/232364977565?hash=item361a082d9d:g:6SkAAOSwT5xZOa-B

So, how realistic is this for prototyping for a guy like me who doesn't know pcb design?

I mean, couldn't I just make a stencil with an exacto knife and paint it on to a thin piece of wood with connections for resistors and such then drop a bit of solder to hole them in place and pain over the solder as a last step?

I dunno, I'm asking.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1305

I guess NOT.

I've bought many DVD's on eBay, yesterday I received my first counterfeit/bootleg copy... it kind of ticked me off. No security seals, a couple of small glitches during play and my computer tells me it's a ripped copy. Oh well, now I know why they were selling for only $7.99! Being so cheap it was not worth the hassle of messing with, but I took the courtesy anyway of informing the seller in case he was unaware.

What happened next surprised me, no questions asked, he cancelled the order and refunded my money. Hmm, that's suspicious... so I checked his feedback, apparently other people have noted that they have received bootlegged copies as well.