IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

How fast do you estimate this lead foot was going when he passed me?

Well he seems to pass you right at 3 seconds. There is a dark clump of grass further down that he seems to pass at 9 seconds and you seem to pass at 12 seconds. Estimating your average speed at 72mph or .02mps times 9 seconds puts your distance from the time he passes to the clump at about .18 miles. .18 miles divided by the 6 seconds it takes him to pass puts him at .03mps or 108mph. That's my estimate... :D

• Like 2

Well he seems to pass you right at 3 seconds. There is a dark clump of grass further down that he seems to pass at 9 seconds and you seem to pass at 12 seconds. Estimating your average speed at 72mph or .02mps times 9 seconds puts your distance from the time he passes to the clump at about .18 miles. .18 miles divided by the 6 seconds it takes him to pass puts him at .03mps or 108mph. That's my estimate... :D

Very precise estimate sir! I'm impressed. :) :thumbsup:

An interesting fact that was recently published: The ratio of failed driving school exams (theory/practise) in Germany has risen to a stunning 39% in 2017. Experts list possible reasons:

• Traffic has become much denser in the last years, and much less cooperative. For example, changing the lanes in the city requires people to give way to you, and when people spot the car as a driving instructor's, they are even less willing to let them in - a good chance to spoil the exam.
  • Young people today are too much focused on their digital gadgets. In earlier times, they observed the traffic (due to missing distractions), long before they started to learn driving by themselves. This is considered an important phase of driving skill acquisition.
  • Learning to drive has become less important for young people today. A driving license is just one thing among lots of others.
  • In Germany, a driving license is a major investment (typically around €2000,-, i.e. $2250,-). People try to save money and reduce their lessons before the exams.
  • Young people today enjoy a longer time of being taken care of by their parents. On the street, they are confronted with situations that require immediate decisions and that impose an unfamiliar level of responsibility on them.
  • Like 1

Pulled the LED third brake light off an old Mazda6 last night to fix. Eight cylindrical 33ohm canister resisters, all pretty much disintegrated, and 20 burned out LEDs. The only good component on the board was a diode. Took almost six hours, but it works now.

Anyway, while working on it the damned thing smelled like burning dead fish. Anyone ever come across something like this?

Actually, some board substrates decompose a bit and give off that nasty fishy smell when heated, I've run into that a few times in the past. . .

I just uncovered a decomposing box with two of these very drives in my unheated semi-exposed Spa room yesterday...

this reminds me I need to try to move them elsewhere now(not to mention the main unit and others).

Looks like the weather is really starting to take it's toll(13 Yrs.).

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION

Yeah, like "how the F*#$ is this news?" I guess I should read the entire article to see if she links to any of the vintage forums.

I'm more amazed that this article was written by a woman. It's something I'd expect more from a middle aged nostalgic man (like us).

I am more surprised that she could not, or at least did not indicate as such, deal with this part:

"My oldest, who is 9, exclaimed "that's a computer?!" in genuine surprise, and then pointed at the floppy drives and asked "what are those?" My younger twins just kept laughing at how silly it seemed to them."

At the very least she could have explained how they are like low-capacity SD cards. And besides:

I have been sticking to DAT (72, 160, and sometimes 320.) But I am about to retire the last physical machine that uses tape if virtualizing Solaris 8 onto Hyper-V proves successful.

I would like to implement another server to do LTO backups. The prices are not too bad. I would be the second-tier behind a spinning rust-based backup system.

• Like 2

That's the route I take. Hard drives are so cheap now days, you can get a 2tb USB model for $60-$70.

I own two 3TB usb drives.

Strangely, they refuse to boot a operating system, but they work fine for storage.

(my computer does support booting from usb)

The drives in question are this one:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Toshiba-Canvio-3tb-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive-Black/1422563231?iid=382782605890&chn=ps

post-64087-0-33654600-1550526665.jpg