IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

If TI had not picked a fight with the 8-bits it might have stayed irrelevant to us. I really doubt the fact the 99/4s have a 16-bit CPU made a big flop of a deal to most people at the time, anyway.

I Kickstarted this documentary and received some of the swag, but I have not taken the time to sit down and watch it.

• Like 1

Why is he posting 8 bit computer war on a 16 bit computer hobbies page?

Is this trying to make us defend the TI community over others?

What is the goal here?

This was actually pretty interesting.. seeing the motivations and actions of the people making the other computers that are poorly built and designed in comparison to the 4/a :)

They were all flailing around hoping to find something that people would want. If TI had started with an open platform and the console priced for the masses history may have been very different. Instead they priced almost as much as Apple and went after anyone trying to write software for their platform.

Greg

• Like 3

This was actually pretty interesting.. seeing the motivations and actions of the people making the other computers that are poorly built and designed in comparison to the 4/a :)

They were all flailing around hoping to find something that people would want. If TI had started with an open platform and the console priced for the masses history may have been very different. Instead they priced almost as much as Apple and went after anyone trying to write software for their platform.

Greg

Well pretty much like Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, and everyone else.

Can you name in 1978 anyone selling a open source computer? (other then Unix?)

I mean 1983 we had Franklin vs Apple on open source.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_and_open-source_software

Well pretty much like Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, and everyone else.

Can you name in 1978 anyone selling a open source computer? (other then Unix?)

I mean 1983 we had Franklin vs Apple on open source.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_and_open-source_software

I did not say open source. Apple and Commodore both had open platforms in 1978. Both computers came with the resources to write software and neither company tried to wipe you out if you tried to release software or hardware for the computers. In fact Apple came with everything you needed to write Assembly Language including the source code! Needless to say Apple changed their mind later with the Macintosh which was a head-scratcher for me.

Franklin copied the apple system firmware and got sued for it, as did a bunch of other clones.. but nobody got sued for making new hardware or program for the apple II.

• Like 2

Unix was not "open source" in the sense we think of today. If it were, Kevin Mitnick and his ilk would not have made so much hay by stealing its source code. (Giving a quick glance at that Wikipedia "article," I would dispute a good bit of it. Some of it reads more like fanboi fiction than real objective analysis. But then, such is Wikipedia.)

As well, there certainly were no "Unix" branded or made computers. With the exception of the home-brew communities, almost everyone kept developments close to their chests. Xerox was one notable exception, pretty much giving their brain-children to the world and the world taking their respective implementations and locking them up as tight as possible.

• Like 2

Great documentary. Tramiel was even more ruthless than I thought, but also appeared to take care of the people who earned his respect or who helped him in the past. One tid bit caught my ear: He said that his grandfather used to lecture the grandkids during Sunday gatherings about not charging more than twice the cost of a product. My grandpa certainly did not do that which explains why I became a doctor instead! ?

• Like 2

This is off topic, so I figured I'd ask here, because this is the largest collection of brilliant and knowledgeable people that I know... :)

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to VPN's as I never had a reason to use one before, so I never did. Anyway the first one I tried would acknowledge something else on my home network, but not connect with it, that was fine, but it would not work with Netflix, which was the reason for the VPN in the first place.

Now I'm using NordVPN and it's different in that I'm able to connect with things on my local network, like the TIPI or a Chromecast device when the VPN is active, is this normal?

This is off topic, so I figured I'd ask here, because this is the largest collection of brilliant and knowledgeable people that I know... :)

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to VPN's as I never had a reason to use one before, so I never did. Anyway the first one I tried would acknowledge something else on my home network, but not connect with it, that was fine, but it would not work with Netflix, which was the reason for the VPN in the first place.

Now I'm using NordVPN and it's different in that I'm able to connect with things on my local network, like the TIPI or a Chromecast device when the VPN is active, is this normal?

For many VPNs, yes, this is normal but it can be manipulated with a little sorcery. Your network stack is smart enough to know what is local to you and will route accordingly. This is partly necessary because the VPN still has to route via your local gateway.

Now, in my arrangement I have printers on a separate VLAN and subnet, so when I connect with a VPN like SecureMe or NordVPN I can no longer print without enabling static routes to that subnet which use my internal gateway.

ALSO: Note that not all VPN clients route all traffic through the tunnel. For instance, standard connections with OpenVPN, Greenbow, Cisco's AnyConnect, etc. are "split tunnel," meaning only traffic destined for the far-end gets routed through the tunnel. That is a setting which can be changed to work like your for-pay VPN services.

• Like 3

Maybe I should have titled my thread differently. I haven't even gotten a single view and I figured there would be some good discussion and maybe learn some info about the stash of TI engineering samples and stuff I got from my uncle: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/288713-some-intersting-ti-engineering-samples/

Looks like AtariAge is reporting 0 views if there are 0 replies. You have 10 likes on your post so it has been viewed.

Looks like AtariAge is reporting 0 views if there are 0 replies. You have 10 likes on your post so it has been viewed.

This is a bug in the forum software Albert noted in another forum. Probably will not be fixed until the next major update (hopefully to include the advanced editor, too.)

ALSO: Note that not all VPN clients route all traffic through the tunnel. For instance, standard connections with OpenVPN, Greenbow, Cisco's AnyConnect, etc. are "split tunnel," meaning only traffic destined for the far-end gets routed through the tunnel. That is a setting which can be changed to work like your for-pay VPN services.

Now that I have it, I thought it would be 'safe' to go on an open WiFi network (and save a little on my phones data plan), but if I still appeared 'wide open', I would not want to risk it.

... as in hackable and/or viewable.

If you do a packet capture on your computer when using a VPN service*, local traffic may be able to be intercepted and whether it can be viewed depends upon the transport being secured or not secured, but Internet traffic will egress through the VPN tunnel. What any interceptor will see is encrypted traffic, be it IPsec, SSL/TLS, OpenVPN, etc.

Make sure the network connection is set to Public and you have not given programs which "listen" access on pubic networks (in your firewall settings, easy to disable.)

* that is you performing the capture for your own information using something like Wireshark.

If you're interested, I recently came across this How To Geek article: Why Do Some Websites Block VPNs. It provides a decent explanation of why some sites are 'broken' while using VPN.

In days past, I regularly used VPN to access my office network (e.g. via Cisco VPN client). Now that I'm self-employed, I occasionally use PrivateInternetAccess VPN when I'm on public wi-fi, but I'm unable to use it for a few banking websites. Needless to say, that makes VPN less useful for me.

• Like 1