IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

2 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

So, i find myself watching Fight Club for the umpteenth time tonight.

And i think to myself, what f****d up world... What a f****d up movie.

All of a sudden i have a need to find a support group.

For the love of Christ, please... If you somehow have never seen this movie, don't do it.

Don't watch it. EVER. You have no idea the depravity it can lead too.

We don't talk about Fight Club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

For our Dutch fellows here ... (I was following some courses on quantum mechanics on Youtube, when I stumbled on the "Hoygens" principle.)

I have to admit that this is difficult to pronounce for us Germans, too, and we are quite used to some non-trivial phoneme combinations.

(Just the force he's speaking with, together with the fist ... ROFL :-D )

And of course his pronunciation of  Huygens gives away where he grew up. ;)

(It is much softer in a southern accent.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

How can I list the drivers which are installed as part of the distro?  I can list active drivers with installed hardware, but I need to know the inactive drivers so I can match them to a card.

This is as far as I got, which is to find the top level directory where the ethernet drivers are located. I have no idea about the contents of said directory though.

ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/

Source:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-display-list-of-modules-or-device-drivers-in-the-linux-kernel/

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Use the web browser?

For me, yeah, I just have a shortcut link to my favorite website on my phone.  A senior citizen friend of mine would like to do it by voice as he has trouble with arthritis in his hands.  I tried multiple attempts, even telling the Google assistant on his phone to NOT use CNN, but it still does it anyway.  

2 hours ago, chue said:

This is as far as I got, which is to find the top level directory where the ethernet drivers are located. I have no idea about the contents of said directory though.

ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/

Source:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-display-list-of-modules-or-device-drivers-in-the-linux-kernel/

That worked, sort-of.  It shows "intel" but not Realtek which it definitely includes.  I will dig a little more and this gives me a better place to start.  Thank you.

root@awr-tlh-nas01:/# ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/
intel

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

That worked, sort-of.  It shows "intel" but not Realtek which it definitely includes.  I will dig a little more and this gives me a better place to start.  Thank you.

Mine shows Realtek:

# ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/
3com     amd       cisco         intel      neterion       rocker   tehuti
8390     aquantia  dec           jme.ko.xz  netronome      sfc      ti
adaptec  atheros   dlink         marvell    nvidia         silan    via
agere    broadcom  dnet.ko.xz    mellanox   packetengines  sis      wiznet
alteon   brocade   emulex        micrel     qlogic         smsc     xircom
altera   cadence   ethoc.ko.xz   myricom    rdc            stmicro
amazon   chelsio   fealnx.ko.xz  natsemi    realtek        sun

# ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek
8139cp.ko.xz  8139too.ko.xz  atp.ko.xz  r8169.ko.xz

1 hour ago, chue said:

Mine shows Realtek:

Oh, yeah, you have a lot more than this NAS.  It is a very narrowly-tailored system. What aggravates me even more is the Broadcom tg3 driver is loaded but there are no Broadcom network chips on the board, and there appear to be no Realtek drivers though the network cards are RTL 8111 and 8168.  Supposedly this series supports a 10Gb NIC, but the only higher-end Intel card listed is an i350 which are multi-port gigabit, and I have found no other hints so far.

The BIOS is custom which searches for a boot image with a specific signature in an on-board USB flash, which then extracts an initrd from another USB flash into ramfs.  Both the boot image and initrd image appear to be untouchable except through a convoluted update process which I have not yet traced out.  The firmware files are encrypted.

I have had enough for tonight.  These work very well with MPIO over two gigabit ports, so long as I do not boot all of the VMs at once (is good for a laugh once in a while,) and so long as I can get six gigabit ports (which are bondable, if necessary,) these will hold me over until the next refresh.

7 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

For me, yeah, I just have a shortcut link to my favorite website on my phone.  A senior citizen friend of mine would like to do it by voice as he has trouble with arthritis in his hands.  I tried multiple attempts, even telling the Google assistant on his phone to NOT use CNN, but it still does it anyway.  

Understood. Yeah, it sucks when the technology you use to make your life easier ignores you.

9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

The BIOS is custom which searches for a boot image with a specific signature in an on-board USB flash, which then extracts an initrd from another USB flash into ramfs.  Both the boot image and initrd image appear to be untouchable except through a convoluted update process which I have not yet traced out.  The firmware files are encrypted.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to switch to commodity PC hardware; then install your favorite Linux distro.

54 minutes ago, chue said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to switch to commodity PC hardware; then install your favorite Linux distro.

One would think, but honestly I do not have the resources to bother, and the requirements for FreeNAS are off-putting versus what these boxes do.  Sure, I could spend time cutting down a distro to fit my purposes, but why invent the wheel when these boxes perform just fine with the CPU upgrade and will do well until my next refresh.  The only reason I am bothering right now is I have an extra unit and before I put it into service I wanted to see how much I could tweak it in a short time.  So far I have upgraded the CPU and added additional network ports and this suits what I need.  Now, once everything gets rolling I will opt for something 10Gb and maybe a Xeon, but that is several years down the road.

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

This one is sooooooo true. Compromise is almost a guarantee in this world--the only real question is who is actually doing it. . .and this diagram does an excellent job of enumerating the possibilities.

Yes, but it also shows a fatal attitude of "nothing we can do about it". This cannot be a consequence. It reminds me of some discussions when people say that the secret services and some three-letter agencies can break into any system they want. If I was a member of such an agency, I would do any effort to make people believe exactly that. Maybe I would even pay people to propagate such a rumor.

Also, the levels are not really comparable. The deeper down in the stack (closer to hardware) you try to compromise a system, the less meaning of data (semantics) is there. Or: At a higher level, you know that this is a postal address of a person. Some levels deeper, you only have byte sequences. At the bottom, you have just memory cell values.

It is certainly impressive what can be done with the Meltdown and Spectre attacks (which are pretty deep down in the stack), but a lot of these attacks remain proofs of concepts and were never seen in the wild.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Scratched a small entry off the bucket list today.  I hit the Asian market in Olympia for Gimbap, Soju and other assorted Korean snacks.

No bungeoppang (fish shaped pockets with sweet red bean paste)?

24065266_c8d80832-f1ea-438b-b44b-2720fc92b2d3_615_429.jpg

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

@TheBF does your program use the speech synthesizer?  How long does it take to run to completion?  ?

696367572_BINARYBEERS.jpg.7b3c73b94db47e46ad93ff60e329f14e.jpg

I put 600 mS of delay in every verse (100ms per comma and 300 mS for the final period)

So that adds and extra minute to 100 verses.

But with as is it takes 1:48.61

With the delays removed: 52.23 seconds.

If I load it on CAM99DTC which is direct threaded code it runs in 47.06 seconds

My VDP driver code is not the best in the world. I tried to balance speed and size as best I could.

beers timed.jpg

FASTBEERS.png

• Like 3