IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

5 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Not Off-Topic at all, but I don´t know how to find a better topic here (with the new search).

https://imgur.com/a/8uzr5yu

image.thumb.png.3d337306389f0be6405214a5fa4cb92f.png

I honestly don't know what to make of this.  If the goal was for making a toy for a kid to sit in a darkened closet playing spaceship, then yes it's a success.  A little kid would surely have a BLAST(off) with this thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

I honestly don't know what to make of this.  If the goal was for making a toy for a kid to sit in a darkened closet playing spaceship, then yes it's a success.  A little kid would surely have a BLAST(off) with this thing.

According to the album text, it's a working controller for Kerbal Space Program, which is a complex PC spaceflight simulator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to help raise money for some car repairs, and I notice there was a sale board on here, and I'm wondering: we have a Merlin the 10th Quest complete in box that we've been wanting to sell, and we're wondering if we should post it up on that board, and if so, how much we should ask for it. Ebay is all over the place with the prices for that handheld, so...

Oh man ... we're struck by heat waves these days ... 40°C in some cities in Germany (let me fahrenheit this for you: 104), tomorrow 41°C forecast. I guess overseas you're laughing about that, but here, the majority of private homes does not have any air conditioning. This is what many foreign people moving here or spending some longer time in private homes are pretty surprised about.

Last year I got a mobile AC device with a kind of trunk to be put out of the window, better than nothing. Had some extra hours for me today.

If it continues this way, we'll once have olive and palm trees here... no need to travel far for a holiday feeling.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mizapf said:

Oh man ... we're struck by heat waves these days ... 40°C in some cities in Germany (let me fahrenheit this for you: 104), tomorrow 41°C forecast. I guess overseas you're laughing about that, but here, the majority of private homes does not have any air conditioning. This is what many foreign people moving here or spending some longer time in private homes are pretty surprised about.

Last year I got a mobile AC device with a kind of trunk to be put out of the window, better than nothing. Had some extra hours for me today.

If it continues this way, we'll once have olive and palm trees here... no need to travel far for a holiday feeling.

I know how you feel, I live in South Georgia, USA and my central air has a bad compressor, been using fans in upper 90 to low 100 °F temps for a month. Bought a used portable and it worked for 4 days, then lost its charge. Yep I know how you feel!!?

• Like 1

I remember that temperatures in the US have not increased that much in the last years but indeed lowered, with stronger winters. At least for central Europe, this is not the case, temperatures are clearly rising over the years. Maybe the course of the jet stream has slightly changed. Maybe it is actually a sign of global warming.

A/C is slowly gaining acceptance here in Germany. A/C used to be seen as energy wasting (nothing worse what you could do! :) ), and also as possibly hazardous to health; people believed that germs are gathering in the device and spread into the air. But I think since A/C is now typically installed in trains, buses, and cars, they learned that the concerns are not really justified. And now, in summer, A/C devices are quickly sold out in the stores.

Just heard in the news: In the town of Lingen, 42.6°C (=108°F) were measured today, a new record. In Nuremberg, we had 39°C.

Reminds me of this (own picture, summer 2015):

kuswc1142.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, the worst I ever had to deal with was a day at China Lake about ten years ago--it was 118 degrees Fahrenheit that day. I did not want to be there, especially as I was working in a non-air conditioned attic space. Touching metal was a quick way to get burned.

• Sad 3

You guys know the Computer Reset store that I linked you a video to, a while back? Well, LGR got a prize from there working, and even uploaded the contents to the Internet Archive for posterity. Turns out, what he got was a genuine Super PCJr from Sierra's QA testing branch, owned by Ken Williams, and had a bunch of stuff, including a bunch of developer debug saves for the game Codename: Iceman. You can see his attempts to explore it and get the info off of it here:

• Like 7

On 7/24/2019 at 7:09 PM, mizapf said:

Yikes! 

I am to be in Paris Aug 2.  I have never been in temperatures higher than 37C.

Sounds like lethal weather to me.

Viel Glück

11 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Ever order three things at the same time (to be used together) only to have the cheapest items that came from the furthest away arrive first? ?

Yup- and weirdly enough the last time it happened we ordered them through Amazon Prime, even.

31 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Probably!  I think 12TB should be enough.

I had something similar said to me back in the day by a friend.

Back around 2001, i went out and purchased a 80 GB drive USB drive.

A friend of mine made the comment that "that is more space then anyone will ever need".

Jump ahead to around 2012, and that drive was completely full.

... Just give me a 1 Yottabyte drive, that should last me the rest of my life.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have photos, videos, DVD and BluRay rips, CD rips, software ISOs, virtual machines, various classic computer-related downloads, storage areas and drive backups for my Solaris server and Amigas, business documents, and more on encrypted volumes.  This NAS then replicates to another NAS sitting in co-location.

• Like 3