IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Interesting.. I have replaced more bad Seagate drives in systems over the years than any other brand.. while I have wd drives that have operated 24/7 for over 10 years.. they are all the blue or black drives.. might be a green in there but not many of them as preference is performance..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Also this is literally hundreds of drives in systems around the area in my consulting work.. not just in my home system. the long term drives are in my home systems

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine used to buy the same drives and motherboard hardware so we had similar base systems, except he always went on the cheap with power supplies and RAM.  His machines always seemed to bluescreen and he'd end up rebuilding the machine only to do the same thing weeks later, always blaming Windows and his applications.   I went the route of better power and RAM and almost never saw blue screens or crashes. Adding a UPS into the mix certainly didn't hurt.   I still have a few of the old WD drives from a Win2000 server that was running 24x7 for nearly 10 years before I decided to update and retire, mostly for capacity and power saving reasons.  Few of my other systems use red and black with no troubles over the years.

PCs at work had a mix of brands but the one I remember replacing the most were the seagate. They often ran hotter and you could almost tell when they were gonna die by the chatter cadence.

29 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

the whole unit is only 15 bux more than a replacement battery!

You can find off brand batteries for less... for example I see one that's $35 for that particular UPS.  Just make sure to read the reviews before buying.

2 hours ago, chue said:

You can find off brand batteries for less... for example I see one that's $35 for that particular UPS.  Just make sure to read the reviews before buying.

Yeah, Battery Source (or equivalent) will usually have a BB battery (which is often used and re-branded by APC) for about $10 to $15 less than the listed price.  These UPSes are really trimmed down these days.  The inverters have gone from constantly-energized transformers with low frequency inverters to high-frequency inverters with smaller transformers.  This allows them better run-time, reliability, and lower heat output (a HUGE issue in my lab, so I am replacing all my old UPSes.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah, Battery Source (or equivalent) will usually have a BB battery (which is often used and re-branded by APC) for about $10 to $15 less than the listed price.  These UPSes are really trimmed down these days.  The inverters have gone from constantly-energized transformers with low frequency inverters to high-frequency inverters with smaller transformers.  This allows them better run-time, reliability, and lower heat output (a HUGE issue in my lab, so I am replacing all my old UPSes.)

We use APC UPSes for our network gear where I work- I think I have like ~190 deployed with the NICs so they can be managed.  We are looking at the li-on ones, but they are pretty pricey.

Speaking of batteries, my boyfriend is having so much trouble with getting a working battery for his PC; the one it came with died after a good number of years, the second one he got was acting funny, and this third one isn't working at all. It's like fate doesn't want him to stay online, anymore...

The Ori stayed in the Pegasus galaxy until the SG program connected us and we started into the Arthurian story arc, interacting with the Ascended, etc. then the Alteran long-range communication device which "swapped" Vala and Daniel into the bodies of Harrid and Sallas, who resided in the Pegasus galaxy.  During this swap they encounter a prior and discover the religion of Origin.

In the Milky Way, the Go'uld were the impetus for most religions as they presented as gods, and more importantly as gods incarnate.

I believe I know this, it's been a while since I've seen SG1, but it was always fascinating to me how similar Origin was to monotheistic religions (especially with its teachings and hypocrisy of man contrasting those teachings), and figured we'd eventually find out that like Moses was an Origin practitioner that got pulled to Earth during the Goa'uld's reign in Egypt, and started the rebellion that went down in history as the Book of Exodus, or something along those lines. Would've made for a nice tie-in for everything.

13 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Notice the show never touched directly on the big religions.

Yeah, they probably didn't want to piss off the Catholics or Christians by saying their God is actually an alien theocratical tyrant or something.

Though now I'm reminded of that indie fighting game Fight of Gods, and wonder why they allowed Moses and Jesus as fighters, and there's calls for it to have Mohammad and the like, but Xenu isn't the final boss or something, or we don't have ancient gods like Cthulhu as a fighter.