IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I can see it as a surge protector, possibly even for lightning strikes on the powerlines going into your home, but unless you live underground in a hardened facility, it's worthless for what it's advertised for.  In my opinion this is misleading advertising aimed at the scientifically illiterate.

The ironic thing is, even *IF* it could do what it claimed, (it cannot in a residential setting) the infrastructure supplying your electricity would be fried and would take years to be repaired, and by that time a good portion of the population would be dead from starvation, disease and possibly even total lawlessness.

I suppose some old tube radios would survive, but unless you can generate your own power, not many stations, if any would still be broadcasting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm choosing B, because A is just horrible, C is just... no, I've heard too many horror stories about the Darkweb to even want to touch that; at least with B, there's a chance the cat can still be alive, and it doesn't scar to physically or psychologically once the mystery is revealed.

Anyway, anyone want a slightly-used, mostly-working old gaming video card that can still run Doom 2016 at minimum settings? Turns out our rig is too primitive for it, and the seller won't return it, because he shipped it at a loss.

• Like 1

For those that aren't current Udemy members, there's a course sale today only. Many titles retailing for $100-$200 can be purchased for $10.99.

https://www.udemy.com/crash-course-electronics-and-pcb-design/ - 

This course includes
  • 99.5 hours on-demand video
  • 10 downloadable resources
  • Full lifetime access
  • Access on mobile and TV
  • Certificate of Completion

I have no affiliation with this company, but everybody likes saving money, right? And for those of us lacking formal degrees or means are out of our price range,

there is more than enough here to allow you to brush up on a topic of your choosing or look at topics in a different way than traditional classroom lectures.

Doug

course.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

19 pounds of awesomeness, standing 27 inches tall.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-war-for-cybertron-unicron

That's Bull S$#^! This crowdfunding crap is totally out of hand.  I understand some hobbyist trying to put out some obscure product with limited interest, but why the hell is one of the biggest toy companies in the world asking people to pay before they make a toy?!  That's outrageous!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mitkraft said:

That's Bull S$#^! This crowdfunding crap is totally out of hand.  I understand some hobbyist trying to put out some obscure product with limited interest, but why the hell is one of the biggest toy companies in the world asking people to pay before they make a toy?!  That's outrageous!

Meh.  Because otherwise bean-counters would say, "Okay, so it might be 'cool,' but we are not putting forth money for molds, tooling, and ultimate production of a product which might have niche appeal for only 8,000 people*.  AND you had better not be doing this prototyping nonsense with company resources or time!"

Sure, they could go the route of Star Wars and invest a shyte-ton of money into action figures and play-sets which sold barely half of the units produced and the rest are on clearance, but most people want to make money.

Even if this project does not come to fruition, Hasbro now has a working concept and design which could be licensed off or sat on until there is enough publicity to build better interest.  They are not ripping me off, and anyone who backs does so voluntarily and can apparently revoke backing as I watched it drop from 5,697 backers just today.

* Only 5,694 at the time of this post

I saw that. I'm excited, but I'm anticipating the crowdfund to fail. I've owned the Armada Unicron, and I would've loved to own this, but the fact that it's mostly a shellformer* kinda ruins it for me.

Anyway, good news/bad news time, for me:

Good News: I'm getting a refund for my graphics card, after filing a case against the seller. I'll need to return the item and provide a tracking number for it, but that's okay.

Bad News: I lost a good $30 on a sale that got damaged, and I can't request insurance on it, because a second sale I had for the same company was shipped in the same envelope with it, and was fine, so...

* Shellformer: a Transformer whose transformation is mostly folding it up into a ball, and covering it with a shell for the alt mode.

Edited by xabin

1 hour ago, xabin said:

I'm excited, but I'm anticipating the crowdfund to fail. I've owned the Armada Unicron, and I would've loved to own this, but the fact that it's mostly a shellformer* kinda ruins it for me.

I do, as well, or it might be extended, again.  It really seems they want to make this.  I never knew about the Armada version.  I stay away from "alternate" Tranformers, although the "War for Cybertron" figures seem really damn nice.  I can forgive this Unicron design being a shellformer given how complex it must be, from a standing robot to a planet with a gaping, tooth-lined mouth, and HUGE!

1 hour ago, xabin said:

Bad News: I lost a good $30 on a sale that got damaged, and I can't request insurance on it, because a second sale I had for the same company was shipped in the same envelope with it, and was fine, so...

That sounds like a healthy dose of male bovine feces.  What shipping company?