IGNORED

What console is best to develop for?

my80chevette

I'm a big Sega fan and have seen recent games being developed for various Sega hardware. Of course while checking these out I've seen lots of things being made for the SNES and NES. Now is this because these systems are easiest to program for or wide availability of systems/emulators? The original xbox and the PS2 are popular for emulators and media centers but don't seem to attract much actual game development. Just thought I would ask those who actually do this stuff.

• Like 1

the best system to develop for is the one you like

and it depends on what one means about develop, as there's probably a option to use basic on everything ever made, which will make a game, with some effort a fun game

then there's lower level languages like C or ASM for whatever cpu is being used + support for the custom chips and blah blah blah

its not really a question of easy (heck there's a gob of stuff for 68000's used in genesis and about a billion computers, but the SNES's 65816 was used in that and the Apple IIGS) but if you have not noticed, Nintendo systems tend to draw in a lot of "enthusiastic fans" so you tend so see more on those type of scenes

the best system to develop for is the one you like

and it depends on what one means about develop, as there's probably a option to use basic on everything ever made, which will make a game, with some effort a fun game

then there's lower level languages like C or ASM for whatever cpu is being used + support for the custom chips and blah blah blah

its not really a question of easy (heck there's a gob of stuff for 68000's used in genesis and about a billion computers, but the SNES's 65816 was used in that and the Apple IIGS) but if you have not noticed, Nintendo systems tend to draw in a lot of "enthusiastic fans" so you tend so see more on those type of scenes

Thanks for the response. I was wondering about what sort of tools are available for the different platforms? A lot of the stuff used on older systems you would think would be hard to find or use now but since I haven't given it a really deep look yet I'm not sure. Saw a tool set from Microsoft called XNA for use with xbox 360 and tutorials for using it so thought about checking it out. What have you used if anything?

1. The console you like.

2. If you want to get the girls, try the Atari 2600, it's the hardest among the popular machines if you are using assembly. Just joking, but, if you like challenge and fighting the limits the console have, even with Batari Basic, you can create great games. This is the kind of system that is not about the time you invest in coding, but your abilities ang logic.

3. If you want to do detailed games with hard work, choose the Dreamcast. It eats pirate copies without modding and has really cool abilities.

4. If you want to reach most people, Commodore64, Gameboy or NES

5. If you want to make copies easily, Commodore 64 (casette or floppy) or ZX Spectrum.

6. If you are crazy as hell, try the Entex Adventure Vision. :D

Edited by MemberAtarian

• 7 months later...

the best ones i don’t know - the ones i consider as simplest ones to develop, from my humble experience:

- Colecovision (it’s quite close to sega-sg1000 and msx1)

- Sega SG-1000 (as above)

- Sega Master System (based on and retrocompatible to sega sg-1000)

- Sega Game Gear (no much different from master system, only differing on the palette format and display size)

- Casio PV-1000 (really rare console from Nintendo-Famicom time)