IGNORED

Just got a power base converter what SMS games should I get?

bradhig1

I'll try to keep the list semi realistic as some of the best games are too expensive.

Govellius

Power Strike

Fantasy Zone II

Zillion

Spellcaster

Choplifter

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Psycho Fox

Shinobi

Columns

Double Dragon

Kensiden

Miracle Warriors

Sonic the Hedgehog is different enough from the Genesis version to warrant buying, as is Castle of Illusion.

Golden Axe Warrior is great, but spendy. Power Strike II is fantastic but costs three hundred dollars nowadays. There are a lot of neat European games (and plenty of licensed shovelware, too) and a variety of arcade conversions... some great, some not so much. If you love old SEGA arcade games, you are in luck. Stuff like the Ninja and My Hero and Action Fighter are going to be pretty cheap.

• Like 1

Sonic 1 on the SMS is expensive as well in my opinion. I had to opt for a loose cart with repro case and insert. Psycho Fox is also on the spendy side and I feel that game is seriously over rated! I dislike it myself as I just can't get those floaty controls down and find the game overly difficult because of it.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is good but I still prefers Dragon's Trap overall. You listed Power Strike II as being expensive, but I guess you haven't priced the first game lately either LOL! Really the SMS is started to get up there in pricing these days too.

Good thing is that many of the european releases will work fine on the US SMS and Power Base. I especially like Bank Panic and would advise getting Master of Darkness as well.

The system has arguably the best versions of Choplifter, Double Dragon, and Ghostbusters, so those are good choices. I also really like Fantasy Zone II. I think they were all four already mentioned, but they are all easy to obtain. You'll likely stumble over some other easy to find games like Hang On, Astro Warrior, Rambo, The Ninja, and Zillion. Get all of those, but try to steer clear of After Burner and Space Harrier. Those 2 just weren't very much fun IMO on the SMS.

Hm, well, since you have Phantasy Star, There isn't much else I can think of...

Eh...

No, some of the games weren't that great, some were even bad.

But "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" was okay.

And "Decap Attack" is the result of "Psycho Fox" being released in Japan, then here,

then in japan again, and back here, but it took so long they put it on the Genesis instead...

*I think...*

So if you like D.A., go for "Psycho Fox".

Oh, and "Hang-On" is okay, but the controls are float-y, so if you already have "Super Hang-On", forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic 1 on the SMS is expensive as well in my opinion. I had to opt for a loose cart with repro case and insert. Psycho Fox is also on the spendy side and I feel that game is seriously over rated! I dislike it myself as I just can't get those floaty controls down and find the game overly difficult because of it.

I paid like 7 to 8 Euros for a loose cart imprted into US with free international shipping. After fees and conversion it was maybe $10USD. Granted that was a couple years back but it's still stupid common in PAL territories.

Fun fact, the USA game cart and box is identical to the PAL game and box with an extra region specific UPC applied to the outside of the protective case. A couple other late release SMS titles were actually PAL imports which received the same treatment. A genuine USA release with intact UPC sticker costs a pretty mint, but the UPC stickef itself seems like it would be incredibly easy to counterfeit seeing as how the technology hasn't changed in the past 30 years. So for boxed collectors, just forget the UPC label and import a PAL CIB.

There is also an SMS Sonic 2 which bears almost no resemblance to the Genesis games.

I have a Genesis 1 and Power Base Mini converter from Stone Age Gamer. Most SMS ROMs also play on the MD Everdrive without the need for an adapter, and Genesis hardware supports the Sega Phasor if you're into lightguns. Sadly my Super Retro Trio which does play SMS via flashcart or converter, doesn't work with the lightgun accessory. :sad:

There is also an SMS Sonic 2 which bears almost no resemblance to the Genesis games.

Indeed. Like Sonic 1, it's basically the Game Gear game (albeit with a larger viewing space).

Sonic Chaos and Sonic Spinball (which were both on Game Gear as well) were also released on the SMS in Europe.

Assuming you already have a bunch of Genesis games, here's the Master System games I like that don't have superior versions available on the Genesis.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Alien Syndrome (Requires Master System Controller)

California Games

Choplifter!

Double Dragon

Fantasy Zone

Fantasy Zone II

Golden Axe Warrior

Govellius: Valley of Doom

Hang-On & Astro Warrior

Montezuma's Revenge (Requires Master System Controller)

Phantasy Star

Power Strike

Psycho Fox

Rampage

Rastan

R-Type

Shinobi

Sonic the Hedgehog (European Import)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (European Import)

Sonic Chaos (European Import)

Tails Adventures (Game Gear Conversion Cart)

Tails Skypatrol (Game Gear Conversion Cart)

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

Ys: The Vanished Omens

Also, Space Harrier and OutRun. There are better versions available on the Genesis but they're both fun games to play that really show off what the Master System could do graphically speaking, and they're both pretty inexpensive to pick up. :)

Edited by Jin

• 2 weeks later...