IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

new firmware update is available

http://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/avgcart-0012.zip

not much changes from 0010, some compatibility fixes and (S)IDE emulation

IDE emulation can be currently enabled by

- shift-s will reboot with IDE registers in cctl area enabled and no cart mapped - useful for u1mb machines, internal sdx and side loader should be able to access sd card as if it was IDE device

- http://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/side2car.zip- booting this .car will load side loader with emulation enabled, currently probably useful to try stuff like PDM

IDE emulation will be improved later, possible making it a toggle switch in selector so any cart or xex will be able to use it (or at least those bankswitching types where there is no collision with SIDE registers)

also be sure to backup your sd card if you're going to try the write support

thanks to Philsan, Vyper68 and ndary for testing and feedback and to flashjazzcat for valuable info

• Like 8

What is the difference between this cartridge and for ex. the UNOcart ?

In Topic for newbies there's a comparison chart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/

Both cards load XEX and CAR files.

UNO cart, more expensive, doesn't load XEX and CAR >128KB (for example Atari Blast!, Bomb Jack, Commando) but loads single disk ATR.

AVGCart, less expensive, doesn't load single disk ATR (at the moment it loads them but compatibility is very low).

• Like 3

In Topic for newbies there's a comparison chart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/

Both cards load XEX and CAR files.

UNO cart, more expensive, doesn't load XEX and CAR >128KB (for example Atari Blast!, Bomb Jack, Commando) but loads single disk ATR.

AVGCart, less expensive, doesn't load single disk ATR (at the moment it loads them but compatibility is very low).

<facepalm> didn't realize that the comparison chart had been updated, thanks for the info.

Convinced now and waiting on pre-order thread :)

• Like 1

I can't use something i don't have so zero or close to it.

I promised to deliver 30 carts so that's what I'll be working on. Also there is quite some work on firmware pending so those are my current priorities and time is limited.

• Like 3

Having been experimenting with the UNO Cart, I would be interested when the firmware is likely to become open source in order to learn if similar things will be possible with the AVG Cart?

As these demos are written mainly in C, I should hope they will port over easily enough.

1) GameBoy VRAM emulation - using Pokemon village tile-map dump to demonstrate scrolling with soft-sprites

2) Variation on Gameboy-VRAM - Mode 7 style projection

3) Variation on Gameboy-VRAM - Mode 7 style projection with rotation

4) Glenz vectors

• Like 15

Hello guys

Good news. Steven Tucker just responded. He's willing to sell us his cartridge cases, but we'll have to take the colors he has in stock since he's not going to produce new ones for a while. (But maybe if we buy enough of them.... :grin: )

Sincerely

Mathy

PS me so happy!

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 4

enclosure is roughly 90x68mm

also there is no joystick support because that's still on todo list

one more thing, although i do slap some sticker on the cart that i put together in 5 mins in some drawing program and printed on some sticker paper i had laying around, it's basically "this side up" guide because i'm sure it will peel itself off if you'd stare at it long enough

so please no complaints about it as it's not an advertised "feature" ;-)

• Like 1

Hello guys

Good news. Steven Tucker just responded. He's willing to sell us his cartridge cases, but we'll have to take the colors he has in stock since he's not going to produce new ones for a while. (But maybe if we buy enough of them.... :grin: )

Sincerely

Mathy

PS me so happy!

Is he looking to sell bulk to you? Or is he selling them individually? Also did he mention price?

Hello orpheuswaking

Is he looking to sell bulk to you? Or is he selling them individually? Also did he mention price?

I asked if he'd sell him a bunch and he said: "Sure". I've asked him how many he's willing to sell, which colors he still has and what the price would be. After he said: "Sure". That was not even 24 hours ago.

Sincerely

Mathy

Price, check

SD card, check

CAR and XEX, check

ATR, any is a bonus

SIDE....awesome....

Updatable firmware through SD card....brilliant !!

This looks like a huge winner :)

The last, but most important one for me: does it support a search command like The!cart does ?

I absolutely hate having to search for a certain game through menus and lists. Having the possibility to put in the cartridge, smply start typing and it immediately starts looking for the matching files still makes The!cart the winner for me. But the update process simply makes me barely ever add stuff....so SD is brilliant.

But I'm always surprised how few people seem to find this an issue, for me it's THE key element of using a multi cart. A menu system is OK like for the Lynx, where the software library is quite limited, but with the gazillion games and apps on the A8.....

So please.....if it's not there yet....could it be implemented in the firmware ?

[edit] I'm convinced this will be possible, I want one anyway when you're doing a second batch :))

[edit2] you are WAYYYYYYY too modest calling this an average cart ! ??

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

@tmp

I am a fan of original cases. And I put mine The!Cart in an original Atari 400/800 "Left Cartridge" case.

http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=2663

Please check the dimensions of you AVGCart PCB for me if it fits into an original cart case.

The!Cart dimensions: 51mm x 73mm. The 73mm is a little to high. If your dimensions bigger, consider please to redesign the pcb if possible to smaler dimensions.. so it fits into an original cart.

Thanks for your great work. It is looking very impressing :-))))

Have Fun

thecart_dimensions_51mmx73mm.jpg