IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

no, it does not fit any original atari cart shell as it's considerably larger (designed for probably the only available cart shell that one can buy in quantity that fits at least some (most?) ataris)

I am trying to send payment but I am thread blind, can find pay pal email address.. I'm sure it's posted some where I just can't seem to catch it,

tmp answered so quickly I have deleted the message, I will be contacted when it's my turn to pay.

I tried too hard looking for an address etc that I didn't read fully, the thread and excitement are so great, that re reading it all is a big task!

This is big winner in the cart offerings realm!

Thanks for such a wonderful offering!

Edited by _The Doctor__

post number #3 in the pre order thread, got it...

tmp, It looks like your cart is going to be such a great success, you may need help to meet the increasing demand!

I see many people excited as the capability of the cartridge and it's firmware continues to expand. Great team, great work!

Having been experimenting with the UNO Cart, I would be interested when the firmware is likely to become open source in order to learn if similar things will be possible with the AVG Cart?

As these demos are written mainly in C, I should hope they will port over easily enough.

1) GameBoy VRAM emulation - using Pokemon village tile-map dump to demonstrate scrolling with soft-sprites

2) Variation on Gameboy-VRAM - Mode 7 style projection

3) Variation on Gameboy-VRAM - Mode 7 style projection with rotation

4) Glenz vectors

That looks amazing! Do you have any pointers about how to setup a proper dev environment for the UNO Cart? It would be really nice to turn this cart into a multi-purpose co-processor. Veronica emulation comes to mind, but also rendering of audio chips, etc...

edit: removed duplicate videos from quote...

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

Simply view it along the lines of the SNES's Starfox cart...

from Wiki - "The Super FX was so much more powerful than the SNES's standard processor that the development team joked that the SNES was just a box to hold the chip."

... so now the A8 is just a box to hold the STM32F4 ARM chip :D
...and hopefully the same with the AVG Cart?

Hello orpheuswaking

I asked if he'd sell him a bunch and he said: "Sure". I've asked him how many he's willing to sell, which colors he still has and what the price would be. After he said: "Sure". That was not even 24 hours ago.

Sincerely

Mathy

You get any follow up Mathy?

I check my tracking today. And very pleased to see.

Tracking History 

June 20, 2018, 11:30 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 11:30 am on June 20, 2018.

Desplayed at USPS Track and Confirm.

• Like 1

new firmware update is available

http://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/avgcart-0012.zip

not much changes from 0010, some compatibility fixes and (S)IDE emulation

IDE emulation can be currently enabled by

- shift-s will reboot with IDE registers in cctl area enabled and no cart mapped - useful for u1mb machines, internal sdx and side loader should be able to access sd card as if it was IDE device

- http://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/side2car.zip- booting this .car will load side loader with emulation enabled, currently probably useful to try stuff like PDM

IDE emulation will be improved later, possible making it a toggle switch in selector so any cart or xex will be able to use it (or at least those bankswitching types where there is no collision with SIDE registers)

also be sure to backup your sd card if you're going to try the write support

thanks to Philsan, Vyper68 and ndary for testing and feedback and to flashjazzcat for valuable info

i found out yesterday that 0012 doesn't work with U1MB's PBI BIOS

so here's 0013

so for U1MB equipped machines, you can use SHIFT-S and then use internal side loader or sdx

for standard machines, you can use these .car files, one will load side loader, the other sdx (same rom, just different cart types to emulate side2 switch position)

http://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/s2car.zip

these .car files won't work with u1mb unless you disable pbi bios (or hard drive? or internal sdx? i have no idea, ask fjc ;-)) because otherwise u1mb will disable the cart

also if you enable pbi bios and hard disk, you need to disable "atr swap button" otherwise u1mb won't boot avgcart (so you won't even get to selector)

Edited by tmp
  • Like 1

Disabling the ATR Swap button should be all that's required to allow emulated cartridges to work. Certainly it's all I had to do when testing my UNO cart firmware modifications (it was possible to use the emulated cartridges alongside the PBI HDD). So, disabling the ATR swap button is a required step to enable your selector menu to boot (since enabling it suppresses cartridges at the CPLD level), but it should also allow unimpeded access to emulated cartridges (at least any which aren't deactivated by the PBI BIOS writing to $D5Fx). I've tested MaxFlash 1Mbit and various OSS cart images using the UNO implementation, and those carts at least didn't mind writes to $D5Fx being filtered out and redirected to the HDD registers.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

remember that narrow mode loader I was going on about for cart pass thru loading.... would an idea like that keep from perturbing the pbi bios?

silly thought, but a possible but slower work around? for certain troublesome cases?

abstract thoughts

Edited by _The Doctor__

Does this work with the original bios or only your updated one?

The behaviour is part of the CPLD logic on the U1MB board, so it's always worked this way. But since the HDD driven by the PBI BIOS had hitherto only existed on a cart (SIDE) which does not emulate cartridges, there was never previously any real point in disabling cart suppression. This changed with the 1088XEL (the default "button" mechanism is always suppressed there in order to allow external carts to work, the HDD commonly being the XEL-CF decoded on page 0xD1) and latterly with AVG and the custom UNO cart firmware I'm working on. In these circumstances, disabling the ATR swap button in the setup menu is necessary for the cartridges emulated by these two devices to show up.

Neither AVG nor UNO have any method of taking advantage of the default "swap" mechanism, and XEL-CF 3 has its own discreet ATR swap button, so disabling the ATR swap mechanism in order that carts may work is no great loss.

Hello guys

I received a message from Steven Tucker today. 100 cases would cost $ 4.40 each. Plus shipping.

Colors available: red, light clear blue and neon clear green. "They do not fit the same style pcb used in the brown Atari made casings"

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

oh that's interesting... maybe that second button on the avg cart could be mapped to a more discreet and compatible swap function the typical swap d1: d2: or roll d1 thru d4: ?

The PBI BIOS already rotates every mounted ATR in the first fifteen drive positions (the maximum currently supported anywhere) when the button is activated, so once it's implemented on the cart, it'll just work (though carts and ATR rotation would remain mutually exclusive without alterations to the PBI BIOS, which can't currently recognize AVG as a distinct piece of hardware, since the AVG impersonates a SIDE2, but with the button inactive).

Now I understand. I was dreaming up loading an sdx car image etc and accessing the sd cart or atr/ ide in the avg at the same time. As carts like express or diamond or maybe yours graphic os (JazzTop?) would be emulated and being able to access the drive sd cart or ide emulation could be the cat's meow. Who knows what all it can be programmed to do... (you have much better ideas on that than I would)

That should all work perfectly well. I have emulated carts running with low-level SD card access via the modified UNO cart firmware here, and an SDX image loaded from the AVG cart should be able to access the SD HDD via the SIDE.SYS driver. This allows - in both cases - cart emulation, XEX loading and APT hard disk operation on stock machines, and cart emulation, XEX loading, APT hard disk and ATR mounting on an U1MB machine, all via a single cart solution.

• Like 4