IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Picked mine up from the post office where it was delivered Wednesday.

I must say it's a nice looking piece of technology , sober but nicely packaged.

(hmm picture keeps ending up on it's side)

post-64282-0-17076500-1529689718_thumb.jpeg

Finally able to load the 1MB SpaceHarrier CAR and peruse the GOS ROM.

For being a total Atari noob , altough I was a kid witnessing all the 8 bit homecomputers but ending up on 8086 ,and now a huge retro fan I'm blown away by what the Atari scene

and a lot of folks on this forum have been doing pushing this 8 bit hardware.

My sincere thanks to firstmost tmp for this little wonder and to all others pushing the limits.

Edited by Lastic
  • Like 10

Having played around a bit more with the AVG cart , I had a few noob questions.

When navigating into a directory, how do you go back to the root directory ?

Is there a limit to the number of nested directories ?

Is there a size limit on the used SD card ?

1. backspace to go to the parent directory

2. there's probably some theoretical limit but nothing you should be hitting during normal usage

3. SDHC cards up to 16GB has been tested working, i'm not sure about larger SDXC ones (i don't have one to test and frankly, what would one put on it anyway to use the capacity?), if somebody has one, let me know

arrows to navigate the list, with ctrl jump to beginning/end of page/list
backspace is parent dir
enter and letters choose item

? shows version
esc disables cart and reboots
shift-s enables IDE emulation and reboots
shift-ctrl-u starts update
  • Like 1

Is it possible to add support for more than one FAT partition on the SD card? There are three partitions on my card: APT 2 GB, FAT16 2 GB and FAT32 ~3,2 GB. AVGCart sees only first FAT16 partition.

Awesome work! :)

• Like 1

Hello tmp

3. ... i'm not sure about larger SDXC ones (i don't have one to test and frankly, what would one put on it anyway to use the capacity?)

In a couple of years SDHC cards will become harder to find. It would be nice if we could use SDXC cards just because of that.

BTW you don't have to use the whole card with ATARI stuff. The 16GB card I'm using with my Ultimate Card is also used for other stuff I want to take with me to Atari meetings.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

I check my tracking today. And very pleased to see.

Tracking History 

June 20, 2018, 11:30 am

Processed Through Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Your item has been processed through our facility in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 11:30 am on June 20, 2018.

Desplayed at USPS Track and Confirm.

And has arrived today. Now to fill it and figure it out. Should I go all Carts, or all xexs .

• Like 1

And has arrived today. Now to fill it and figure it out. Should I go all Carts, or all xexs .

Do you have a SIO2XX device? If so, it might be cool to have the AVG as a dedicated all CAR flash cart.

• Like 1

Uhhhhh, does it look like TMP is running a business here ?

He made a first batch of 30 carts to "test the water" which I can fully understand and they all sold -probably enexpectedly- quickly. It's not exactly the only cartridge available for the Atari 8 bits machines, so tmp might have been surprised by its quick successs.

He clearly wrote that he was pretty new to the A8 (scene) so it could well be that he didn't expect to sell them all so soon.

Yes the AVG sales list proves there is demand for at least 50 or so more, but he also seems to be pretty busy with fine tuning the firmware. I'm sure he also has a day job and real-life besides the avg cartridge, who knows maybe he is on summer holiday or maybe he got sick of all of us screaming for one or more AVG carts :D

Does the fact that you are from the same country give you more rights to buy one then others ???

Does the fact that you wrote an article about the cartridge (without actually Having one to test , which is already kinda weird) give you more rights to buy one then others ?

I don't think so.

If you show the same kind of attitude in your PMs I can fully understand why tmp is ignoring them.

Maybe you missed it but tmp hasn't responded to this thread or the list thread since he ran out of the first batch. He also clearly stated that thread was only for the first batch. So, all we can do is be patient and wait in line...Just like everybody else. Oh and I'm pretty sure everyone who showed their interest in 1 or a few has money too....

These kind of projects are hobby projects, people make them because it's fun, they can help fellow A8 users with the product and maybe earn a few bucks....it's not a huge company from who you can demand next day delivery.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

@TMP - Any chance to buy your cart? I am from same country. I have money. Where is problem? You ignore my PMs... I gave you link for cases... Wrote articel on atari.sk... My ultimate arrived sooner...

I have to agree with Level42 here I'm afraid jumping up and down like a five year old and posting your ire on this thread will not get you one any faster. You will need to pre-order one and wait your turn like the others. Trying to circumvent the process because you live locally and have cash is not the way to go.

Edited by Vyper68
  • Like 2

Who found nice cases for them??? For few cents not your 10usd solution??? Who? Ahh me... It was like 4 hours of searching webstores.. Bla bla bla.

I dont want it sooner!!! Or 2 in one time. Can be until Xmas and second one next summer 2019... But He can at least reply and make preorder list with names and numbers. I am sure this series is just for betatesters. But why no communication? And pre-order list??? Thats like 30seconds for answer...

People wrote article about Mars.No human being was there... So Its weird? I dont think so. I wrote news article not test article...

In fact. "Europe first!" will be nice too... Supporting local scene is really nice thing to do. Anyways I will wait. Or will buy Side3 or Ultimate...

Edited by Matej

It can be overwhelming when hit with so many orders so fast when not expected. I personally can be impatient as well.... and that doesn't always turn out well....

My suggestion, sit back and relax... I know lots of great people who only visit the Atari forums every so many weeks or months. Life happens, weather happens, internet connections and ISP's come and go. Please give it some time.. a great number of people have made suggestions and sources for the project. I don't see others making any demands. I personally think that more time ensures the firmware and functions are tested and tweaked to good effect. He may very well be doing this by hand and or baking them 2 or 4 at a time. Let's not sour this deliciousness. It's going to fine, I am certain that if there would be a reason he would no longer be able to or want to do the project, someone would take up the banner or flag. Give it some time.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I rarely get involved in stuff like this but i just want to push back on some of your points because tmp has worked very hard on this so far and I want to publicly acknowledge that.It's great that you were excited and off your back looked for a new shell for people who are somehow dissatisfied with the current shell. I am a bit bemused by that to be frank, for me the function of the product comes first, the shell is to protect it. To me all the stuff about the new shells is white noise/static that was hampering the progress of the firmware. Not everyone will agree with that view and if you don't,that is fine, we should be able to voice our opinion without getting flamed we are all adults here, I hope.

There is a separate thread for the next 30. If you didn't get one then you will need to wait for the next pre-order thread to start. This thread was about announcing the AVG and gauging interest to start with the morphed into what it is now.

It's a shame you are frustrated and feel the need to post but indicating that you feel a new shell somehow gets brownie points, threatening to buy a Side3 or Ultimate is going to be counter-productive and won't work. Good luck with your search for alternative products in the future.

• Like 4

Go for the throat Vyper ;)

Matej, calm down a little, tmp is trying to create an Atari product off the cuff, he's an Atari newbie in the hardware stakes and yet has produced a great bit of kit.

I don't think every one got instant replies after the orders exploded in size from the first batch let alone the second lot but I can say that he was good to his word and got back to me even though there was a delay period with no stock...

For a semi proper first run its been a massive success but it was a limited one with more orders than stock..A good seller keeps the order requests in strict order so that people get rewarded for being an early adopter..

I'm sure he appreciates your help but lets keep it real and calm down..Its a cart...it will return and I'm sure you will get one if you can wait..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe,

after receiving two AVG carts, I can now successfully playback PDM (PCM 4+4) files with FJC's PDM player. The first thing I had to do was searching for some docs. regarding keys and key-combos, found them somewhere in one of the two AVG topics. http://atariage.com/...-9#entry4055093 Then I downloaded all kinds of firmware I could find (would be great if a link to the latest AVG firmware and docs could be found at the start of the AVG topic) and finally update to the latest AVG firmware 013. http://avgcart.tmp.s...vgcart-0013.zip

Since my 16GB SD Sandisk Ultra was already formatted with FAT32, I created a folder named PDM...

- copied the pdm-player (PDM.xex) http://atariage.com/...-5#entry4032449

- the SIDE XEX loader (S2load.car) http://atariage.com/...-8#entry4053638

and several pdm files I had downloaded from AA into it. Then insert the SD-card into the AVG-cart and this into the A8 and power-on, goto the PDM folder, load the SIDE XEX loader, then load the PDM-player and finally choose a PDM file to play. Wow, simply wow ! Great sounds and quality. Too bad, that stereo can only use playback with 22khz, but still very impressive that a whole song with up to 12MB can be played off the SD card.

So now the PDM-player can be used from SIDE/SIDE-2 cart, UNO-cart and AVG-cart. Hopefully other carts (e.g. Ultimate) and enhancements (IDE-2/IDE+) can also use this fine player in the future. Its great what the AVG cart does for approx. 1/3 (one third!) of the price of an Ultimate cart. But errmmm, it would be nice if the AVG cart and its firmware would display something above and below the files and folders, e.g. the name "AVG-Cart" in big letters on top and e.g. some available keys and key-combos at the bottom (like in the SIDE XEX loader or in the Ultimate cart. firmware).

• Like 6

It is A Very Great Cartridge isn't it? It's not average at all, though if you were to take the average wants and needs everybody would like and stuffed it into one cartridge this is shaping up to be it. This truly is the Atari's Versatile Goto Cartridge at this point.

Using word play on A V G C can be fun... anyone else think of a few more? For some it may be, A Versatile Gaming Cartridge, perhaps?

It's your turn for nameplay!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1