IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Hmmm, how about some visual update of the firmware, e.g. one that shows "AVG-Cart" at the top of the screen and a few keyboard functions at one or two of the bottom screen lines ?!? This could be similar to SIDE/SIDE-2, U1MB, etc. (Okay, I have these texts and icons as soon as I load the SIDE XEX-loader and PDM-player, but it would be nice if the AVG cart would have them also...)

it's probably a matter of preference, i personally prefer being able to see 2 more entries on the screen to having some static lines that nobody will care about in a day when he figures out to use cursor keys and enter

it's a tool to run fancy things, doesn't need to be fancy

but if the consensus is opposite, i can change that

@FJC, when using the side2sdx cartridge image provided for the avg, if you choose cold /n etc... the avg cart is not switched off, it just restarts SDX... method to suspend or shut off cartridge might be different? which begs the question will inidos also turn it back on.... would this be the rom needing tailoring or the emulation within AVG?

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will be as long lived as the suns that shines on us all. Here's to a successful tunnel emergence!

i'm still easily confused by all these atari things including sdx and u1mb, but if you have u1mb, you should probably be using internal sdx and SIDE-only emulation (shift-s currently)

I tested it using stock 130 XE to see the sdx cartridge control functions as well as rtime8 - happily the rtime8 functioned with the AVG plugged in and td line et all worked.... the cartridge control functions didn't respond with and without anything else present (as in AVG all by itself). Should be interesting to hear what it ends up being.

I will look for some other SD X car images and test that the cartridge switching functions with the AVG for those...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

But if not, are the upper two bits of the SIDE banking register implemented as per the description on pages 141-142 of this document?

http://www.virtualdub.org/downloads/Altirra%20Hardware%20Reference%20Manual.pdf

it should but that doesn't mean that there are no bugs left

if something doesn't work like it's supposed to with real hw (SIDE cart in this case), i need steps to reproduce and expected behavior because i've never used the real thing (or sdx)

Of course. I'm not implying that there should be no bugs at this stage: simply referring you to a clear description of the registers.

To clarify: typing COLD at the SDX prompt causes an OS restart. Adding the '/N' switch to that command suppresses the SDX cart prior to restarting the OS. The exact behaviour is described in the document linked above.

Bugs?

By the time testing poking and prodding is done it will be be bug free except that one typo in the code that does absolutely nothing at all, orphaned and forgotten till some one starts hacking on it and discovers color was spelled colour or something like that 35 years from now :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

That the normal behavior It does basic ready prompt on cold/n with the latest builds of Sparta X, but if you are holding option during cold /n the system would and should naturally switch basic off... it will get you self test..... unless in either case a sio device is polled or pbi device booted etc the you will get whatever loads from them...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hello tmp

Hmmm, how about some visual update of the firmware, e.g. one that shows "AVG-Cart" at the top of the screen and a few keyboard functions at one or two of the bottom screen lines ?!?

it's probably a matter of preference, i personally prefer being able to see 2 more entries on the screen to having some static lines that nobody will care about in a day when he figures out to use cursor keys and enter
it's a tool to run fancy things, doesn't need to be fancy

"AVG" somewhere on the screen would be nice, even if only to determine that this is the AVG Cart and not something else. And something like "Press HELP for list of commands" or something like that.

Sincerely

Mathy

many: 28 639 files, 6 436 folders

4GB, SDHC, FAT32, no error (bad clusters)

example:

1GB, SD, FAT16, full format

create dirs:

ATARI/TEST

in root dir, search: "side"

nothing not found, two backspace keys = OK

but

copy AtariOnline database to card SD to directory ATARI

into 970MB will fit, see photo

in root dir, search: "side"

and break, cartridge not reading at directory steps (is empty) :(

maybe this is catalog, look: DemoScena\cp\Forever 12 2011\GFX\Ripek_Lupine Archer\

movie: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-IYublF2ZPn9JgMLUGWMYpFSzX6eJSEu

Wow - is it feasible to do a search on something that size?!?

Here's a dumb question. Is the 6502 in the Atari doing the searching, or is the (whatever) device inside the AVG cart searching and providing results back to the Atari for display? Sorry, I don't know how these new devices really work.

Wow - is it feasible to do a search on something that size?!?

Here's a dumb question. Is the 6502 in the Atari doing the searching, or is the (whatever) device inside the AVG cart searching and providing results back to the Atari for display? Sorry, I don't know how these new devices really work.

most of the work is done in cart with atari only acting as a terminal (display, input), many things could be moved to 6502 code but i'm no FJC ;-)

@tmp - thanks for update firmware

menu, cursor left/right = pages

menu, cursor on down/up = pages, This is ok

but what if the name is too long (>38 sings), how to see the end?

search: SD card 4GB = ok, super works !

search: new color backround

I must correct my collection, rename polish letter to unicode (or better atascii), example Ł to L https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_alphabet#Computer_encoding

Do you plan to issue control documentation?
What they are used for: $D500-D507, D5FF, BFF0

I added a game,
which you will not break: left button card + Reset.
It must be a cold start.

It's good that I have QMEG

Pac Man (-)(Day, Martin)(US).xex

Edited by pajero_pn

you can make a sparta disk copy inidos.sys to it then boot inidos.sys and set it to the side

or you can use the current toolkit disk that has it already set up that way

With a valid DOS bootable in drive 1

with a SpartaDos X cart in and doing sparta x compatible work etc.. you want to blip out and work on your bbs etc..

COLD /N

boots, do your thing (work on this or that)

you want to go back into spartados cart now that your done... so you boot a disk with inidos and it switches the sparta x etc back on

back in business!

You never need power cycle the Atari in that way....

if that works then other control methods may work as well

Edited by _The Doctor__

xex that require files system an no drive or file system available should be put on an atr and then run the atr... or run from ide/pbi/sio device that will be like having said drive with filesystem that is required...

Edited by _The Doctor__