IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Whilst still trying to have 1 cart solution to run them all , I keep comparing my UNOcart to my AVGcart.

The AVGcart is winning the battle currently in regards to XEX, ROM , CAR files but I noticed that the UNOcart is able to start the Vantage Point demo XEX but the AVG cart isn't, anybody has a clue why ?

AVGcart has been updated to the latest 014 firmware .

I downloaded the XEX from here download

i can't even get it running in altirra but that could be me, what machine are you running it, does it need extra memory?

that .xex also seems to be broken (extra byte in the second to last block?), i need to look more closely at it

EDIT: try the attached .xex

vantage-point_fix.xex

Edited by tmp
  • Like 1

i can't even get it running in altirra but that could be me, what machine are you running it, does it need extra memory?

that .xex also seems to be broken (extra byte in the second to last block?), i need to look more closely at it

My observations :

• 130XE PAL, Sophia DVI , no futher expansions , UNOcart starts the original XEX (from download link ) but halts after the intro (256 plot part)

• 130XE PAL, Sophia DVI , no futher expansions , UNOcart starts the fixed XEX and plays entire demo

• 130XE PAL, Sophia DVI , no futher expansions , AVGcart starts the original XEX (from download link ) but black screen

• 130XE PAL, Sophia DVI , no futher expansions , AVGcart starts the fixed XEX and plays entire demo

• Altirra (via Wine OS X ) , emulating 130XE PAL, crashes with both original XEX and fixed XEX

• Atari800MacOSX , emulating 130XE PAL, works with original XEX

So the culprit is the XEX ? thanks for the very quick resolution , since I hardly use Altirra not sure what is happening there

Edited by Lastic

Not all games need to be compatible, but only the ones not available on XEX format.

Check out Homesoft collection "Disk only" folder.

I tested all Homesoft "disk only" games (games not available in XEX format). Those work with AVGCart (multidisk games don't work with UNO cart because I think it cannot swap disks):

Abenteuer in Schottland (1985) (Kruse Software) (s1).atr

Abenteuer in Schottland (1985) (Kruse Software) (s2).atr

Adventure 01 Adventureland (1982) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 01 Adventureland (1982) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 02 Pirate Adventure (1982) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 02 Pirate Adventure (1982) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 03 Mission Impossible (1982) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 03 Mission Impossible (1982) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 04 Voodoo Castle (1983) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 04 Voodoo Castle (1983) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 05 The Count (1983) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 05 The Count (1983) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 06 Strange Odyssey (1982) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 06 Strange Odyssey (1982) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Adventure 13 Sorcerer of Claymogue Castle (1983) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Adventure 13 Sorcerer of Claymogue Castle (1983) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Asylum (1986) (All American Adventures).atr

Atari Sudoku (2013) (Isaac Davis).atr

Blade of Blackpoole, The (1982) (Sirius Software) (s1).atr

Blade of Blackpoole, The (1982) (Sirius Software) (s2).atr

Caverns of Callisto (1983) (Origin Systems).atr

Cromwell House (1985) (Ariola).atr

Cutthroats (1984) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Cutthroats (1984) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Cyborg (1982) (Sentient Software) (s1).atr

Cyborg (1982) (Sentient Software) (s2).atr

Day After, The (1984) (Softwareladen)

Deadline (1982) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Deadline (1982) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Enchanter (1983) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Enchanter (1983) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Gruds in Space (1983) (Sirius Software) (s1).atr

Gruds in Space (1983) (Sirius Software) (s2).atr

Hawkquest (1989) (Red Rat Software) (d1, s1).atr

Hawkquest (1989) (Red Rat Software) (d1, s2).atr

Hawkquest (1989) (Red Rat Software) (d2, s1).atr

Hawkquest (1989) (Red Rat Software) (d2, s2).atr

Hi-Res Adventure #6 - The Dark Crystal (1984) (Sierra On-Line).atr

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (1984) (INfocom) (s1).atr

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The (1984) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Infidel (1983) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Infidel (1983) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Jumpman Junior (1983) (Epyx).xex

Moonmist (1986) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Moonmist (1986) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Pirates of the Barbary Coast (1986) (StarSoft Development Laboratories) (s1).atr

Pirates of the Barbary Coast (1986) (StarSoft Development Laboratories) (s2).atr

Planetfall (1983) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Planetfall (1983) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Questprobe 1 The Hulk (1984) (Adventure International) (s1).atr

Questprobe 1 The Hulk (1984) (Adventure International) (s2).atr

Seastalker - ... and the Ultramarine Bioceptor (1984) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Seastalker - ... and the Ultramarine Bioceptor (1984) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Sereamis (1985) (Ariola) (s1).atr

Sereamis (1985) (Ariola) (s2).atr

Sereamis (1985) (Ariola) (s3).atr

Sereamis (1985) (Ariola) (s4).atr

Starcross (1982) (Infocom).atr

Superfly XL (2017) (Patjomki, Christian Krüger, Michal Szpilowski) (pal).atr

Suspect (1984) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Suspect (1984) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Suspended (1983) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Suspended (1983) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Temple of Apshai Trilogy (1985) (Epyx).atr

Transylvania (1984) (Penguin Software).atr

Witness, The (1983) (Infocom) (s1).atr

Witness, The (1983) (Infocom) (s2).atr

Zork I - The Great Underground Empire (1983) (Infocom).atr

Zork II - The Wizard of Frobozz (1983) (Infocom).atr

Zork III - The Dungeon Master (1983) (Infocom).atr

Perhaps those work too but to test disk change I would need to go further in the game:

Mask of the Sun, The (1982) (Broderbund Software) (s1-4).atr

Serpent's Star, The (1983) (Broderbund Software) (s1-4).atr

I think circa 80 ATR games don't work.

In my opinion only 30 are very good games (for example Alternate Reality, Seven Cities of Gold, Conan, The Dallas Quest, His Dark Majesty...).

It would be nice that at least some of them would be patched to work with AVGCart.

Try single ATR images for "The Dark Crystal" and "The Dallas Quest" plus the combined Infocom titles to avoid the disk swapping

Thanks Mark.

The Dark Crystal is already on my list (Hi-Res Adventure...), I have your nice single disk version of The Dallas Quest but unfortunately it doesn't work with AVGCart, your Infocom disks work.

In these types of instances the aim is actually to enhance the game-play experience by removing actions such as "Insert Disk X Side Y into Drive Z" so that any pre-setup of mounting the disk images in a certain way or pressing buttons or key combinations to change the disk are removed.

I agree, I would love it, but I think it's impossible for a cart to fully emulate SIO.

With the carts I think its a wise move to use in tandem with an SIO2SD or PC, I think the carts are great for loading up compilations or in the case of the AVG, lots of compilations and use the SIO for the real disk needed stuff..

Edited by Mclaneinc

With the carts I think its a wise move to use in tandem with an SIO2SD or PC, I think the carts are great for loading up compilations or in the case of the AVG, lots of compilations and use the SIO for the real disk needed stuff..

Yes, a modern SIO device is necessary to load all software and for advanced users.

But if the circa 30 best ATR games could be patched, a basic user would only need to buy a cheap AVGCart, drag and drop files on SD card, and enjoy the best Atari software.

• Like 1

Yes, a modern SIO device is necessary to load all software and for advanced users.

But if the circa 30 best ATR games could be patched, a basic user would only need to buy a cheap AVGCart, drag and drop files on SD card, and enjoy the best Atari software.

Totally agree and I hope it happens, its a great mix...The cart is so cheap for what you get and it just keeps getting better...The cart and a machine equals a really good time..

• Like 1

Thanks for the report, perhaps Tmp can take a look at why Dallas Quest isn't liked?

The Mask of the Sun & The Serpent's Star would make a nice single ATR combo, possibly Essex and Brimstone as another, both with self contained save areas. One for the future :)

Wanted to send you a PM but your box is full..

Re the carts you sent..

As for those multidisks, on the C64 I've seen an Easyflash (an AVG type for the C64) version of Dallas Quest so its all do-able for those things, hopefully a few of those can be patched and packed for a rom image..

Should work just fine. You can even drive the HDD with the PBI BIOS on an U1MB machine. To all intents and purposes, the SD card behaves like a CF card in a SIDE cart.

couldn't that portion of the bios be on the avg and loaded just like osxex or one of the others?

Another quick question , may I ask how you were able to notice the extra byte ? What tool did you use ?

I guess something must be so drastically different then, as compared to kmk/mio/bb etc that the cartridge can't have the needed rom loaded and accessible while doing other things... Somewhere between diagnostic, MUX carts and OS carts and the like...

Edited by _The Doctor__

PBI/ECI devices are completely different to cartridges. They have access to the entire bus, and can assert the MPD signal in order to replace the OS FP math pack with an external 2KB ROM (or mixture of ROM and RAM). When the SIO is called, the OS checks for a valid device ROM signature at $D8xx and will JSR through the device's SIO vector. That's how devices like IDE Plus, KMK/JZ IDEa, MIO, BB, U1MB and Incognito are able to handle HDD partitions without a customised operating system. It's how U1MB is able to provide an OS-agnostic high-speed SIO driver, and it's how several devices are able to handle ATR disk images hosted on mass storage devices.

Cartridges are cheaper to produce, less complex, and fit both the XL and XE machines. A PBI device is inherently more capable, but needs some kind of adapter to fit both expansion port designs. U1MB is uniquely positioned to allow cartridge-based storage solutions to function as if they are PBI/ECI host adapters, since it provides an on-board general purpose PBI device. By emulating the SIDE cartridge, the AVG cart takes advantage of this functionality.

• Like 3

If we don't want to get that creative, just for giggles, who can name the fast math cartridges by mpp and the like.

how about modified rom images to either burn to and eprom or flash to a 4 in 1 or

32 in 1 flash OS switch from Atarimax? That way it's all good... and wouldn't or shouldn't require an ultimate 1 meg.... unless u1m is doing some else other than just providing a rom in the right place....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Of course you could use a patched OS in ROM to load ATRs via AVG if the author made such a ROM available. But if you're going to go to the trouble of installing a device which allows OS ROM switching, put an U1MB in the machine and enjoy the PBI solution already exhaustively discussed. U1MB's PBI BIOS is an 8KB banked ROM in 2KB of address space, BTW. If your math pack cartridges can do that, I am all ears. Otherwise I fail to see how the discussion benefits this thread.

• Like 1