IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Thanks to Homesoft website, I checked ATR games not available on XEX or CAR format not working with AVGCart and I made a list of the best ones.

It would be nice if someone would patch them to run on AVGCart (this cart can swap disks and save ATRs).

Not an easy task (perhaps in same cases impossibile) but the number of games is limited.

Alternate Reality - The City (Character Disk).atr

Alternate Reality - The City (Disk 1 - Side 1).atr

Alternate Reality - The City (Disk 1 - Side 2).atr

Alternate Reality - The City (Disk 2 - Side 1).atr

Alternate Reality - The City (Disk 2 - Side 2).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Character Disk).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Disk 1 - Side 1).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Disk 2 - Side 1).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Disk 2 - Side 2).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Disk 3 - Side 1).atr

Alternate Reality - The Dungeon (Disk 3 - Side 2).atr

Dallas Quest, The (1984) (Datasoft).atr (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266961-the-dallas-quest-single-atr-version)

His Dark Majesty.atr

Infiltrator (Side 1).atr

Infiltrator (Side 2).atr

Jumpman.atr

Mail Order Monsters (Side 1).atr

Mail Order Monsters (Side 2).atr

Mindshadow (Side A).atr

Mindshadow (Side B).atr

Murder on the Zinderneuf.atr

Operation Blood (Light Gun).atr

Operation Blood.atr

Questprobe 2 - Spiderman (Side 1).atr

Questprobe 2 - Spiderman (Side 2).atr

Questprobe 3 - Fantastic Four (Side 1).atr

Questprobe 3 - Fantastic Four (Side 2).atr

Seven Cities of Gold (Map Disk).atr

Seven Cities of Gold.atr

Shanghai.atr

Special Forces (Light Gun).atr

Special Forces.atr

The Brundles (Leveldisk - Side 1).atr

The Brundles (Leveldisk - Side 2).atr

The Brundles.atr

The Guild of Thieves (Disk 1).atr

The Guild of Thieves (Disk 2).atr

The Neverending Story.atr

The Pawn (Side 1).atr

The Pawn (Side 2).atr

Many people already have OS switching flash/eprom devices installed, after all they have been around since since forever.... why not take advantage of that?

No need to buy a U1M when you're happy with the 256, 320 or 512 you already have. And since you already have OS switches and solutions installed possibly. Why tear it all out and install a U1M...

The Idea here is to get the most use out of AVG without the need to get all new upgrades that are highly duplicative of what many have done and added since the start maybe in 1980's or 90's... so why not expand the user base?

Any chance to get 2x AVGcart??? Or TMP can you send me gerbers, firmware in zip??? When you are not able sell me 2 carts to same country.I will made them?Can you opensource project on github?Like UltimateCart...

Calm down, country doesn't make a difference when the queue exists... I would like to get one, too... And I am in the same country as well.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Many people already have OS switching flash/eprom devices installed, after all they have been around since since forever.... why not take advantage of that?

No need to buy a U1M when you're happy with the 256, 320 or 512 you already have. And since you already have OS switches and solutions installed possibly. Why tear it all out and install a U1M...

The Idea here is to get the most use out of AVG without the need to get all new upgrades that are highly duplicative of what many have done and added since the start maybe in 1980's or 90's... so why not expand the user base?

Sure: if all you want to do is run a single ATR via a patched OS in ROM, that's plausible if the developer decides to release one. The reason I didn't make such an OS for SIDE/SIDE2 is that i) U1MB has a prolific user-base and ii) no patched OS in ROM can fully implement the functionality of the PBI BIOS you previously asked to be integrated into a custom OS or carried on a cartridge. If you choose to consider only the multi-OS aspect of U1MB (and ignore the PBI BIOS functionality you previously asked about), then there's certainly no point in replacing an existing multi-OS upgrade if tmp decides to release a custom OS which targets ROM.

Edited by flashjazzcat

again, what part of the parallel bus interface basic input output system can't be held in rom? is there something else that u1m does electronically that makes things different? So long as we are already replacing the OS (on some sort of ROM and can do the same with extension rom, some refer to as patched etc) how would it be any different than an old newell ramrod board or 32 in 1 and some mods... I would guess it would be possible the u1m has a simulated interface that bounce back to the bus, but it seemed more like the layer followed the Atari pbi bios method to a degree..... In any event it sounds like this is not something you are interested in, we should all run to the single source that exists for the u1m and turn our pockets out... You can bet there are far more rambo's newells, petersons, and compy shop upgrades out there than the PROLIFIC U1M... honestly 30 plus years of upgrades installed out there, and might I add nearly any users group did them left and right. Somehow we are to believe there are more ultimate 1 megs out there than all of history... I bet lotherik is a gazzilionaire... come on Jon, I'm just hoping to make this work out to advancement of all... not just collectors and people with money to burn... If it can't be, so be it. Everything seems to be nail when all you have is a hammer. I kind of understand why so many just lurk or leave. If a person just makes a generalized statement and you can get the jist of what they're getting at.... but don't like it... go technical and precise, go about tearing it up and make it look silly as possible. We ole' folks are just a bunch of hardware hackers. What do we know?

Part of the fun used to building stuff, hacking the hardware old school, maybe the cart etc is new and we want to get everything we can out of it. It would still be nice to burn a rom or two, flash it whatever a person has.... and then enjoy it. I kind of thought it wouldn't be much different than when we made a rom out of myide bios for the original myIde so everything would work as the soft os could get over written.. I honestly thought it would be a good idea to ask of the more experienced person with the newer U1M device.. who knows maybe it's just a matter of installing an u1m set it up to work with the avg..... and then copy the pertinent stuff and burn/flash it.

Have you noticed the number of people clearing out their stuff recently? Just up and selling it or giving it away for shipping? or saying they've had it? We get to feeling as Mclaneinc just did or even as some others such as myself take a break. We are all suppose to be on the same team. At one time we used to be. I don't think we all need to be myopic or anal. If you kind of think you know where someone is going with an idea or thing... how about guiding them to it or even saying something like I know what you're thinking maybe we could do it this way or that... ... instead of some - you didn't say that in that way you said it this way blah blah blah... you full well know what the idea is or is going to be! Since you are quite intelligent and have your responses at the ready knowing what the posts will be. Those of us who can't remember what we had for lunch will slowly get around to stating things in a way that we all can understand and or finally remember and word it more correctly later anyway... but it doesn't have to be so adversarial, so anal, so rigid.

Is there a problem with a hard coded OS/PBI BIOS burned or flashed, or is there an electronically emulated device sitting on/sharing the bus and are not aware of?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see Jon's answers as being adversarial in nature. Seemed more like mister Spock answering in a very logical and pragmatic way. Now yes for us not so U1MB/Side2 educated peeps, it would be nice to know the what or why that prevents the PBI aspect to be handled as part of a custom OS ROM in the same way that the U1MB does, although my feeble brain suspects it has something to do with the much more massive nature of the ROM space on the U1MB vs. the normal OS (not to be confused with the amount of RAM).

Edit: Actually I just went back and reviewed the back and forth chatter that I obviously missed, and it seems that Jon did a pretty good job at describing the difference, in that on one hand you are looking at CART signals vs. what the U1MB hardware has access to. Bottom line is the CART is missing some very important signals related to the PBI (MPD for one). Remember the cartridge slot predates the PBI and just doesn't have all of the signals as such which is really no surprise.

Edit2: Also key to this is that not all of the address lines are present at the cartridge, so it wouldn't be possible to even decode what is missing. However the U1MB has full address access, as well as completely takes over for the MMU, so the sky is the limit :).

• Like 2

went back to read... looks like he made a last post before the page changed from 14 to 15... he mentions an 8kb rom in a 2kb space. It's late, time for sleep. Next time I'll eat a snickers bar, and take a nap....

Even Spock was half human, even still... in so many episodes he was out of his Vulcan mind! :)

oh no I used a smiley!

• Like 2

went back to read... looks like he made a last post before the page changed from 14 to 15... he mentions an 8kb rom in a 2kb space. It's late, time for sleep. Next time I'll eat a snickers bar, and take a nap....

Even Spock was half human, even still... in so many episodes he was out of his Vulcan mind! :)

oh no I used a smiley!

Smiley back at you :).

I see that I was editing my post at the same time you posted this. Yep the abbreviated addressing of the cartridge port severely limits what you can do via this avenue.

Good night.

• Like 1

again, what part of the parallel bus interface basic input output system can't be held in rom?

I gather you eventually read and understood the explanation. If you find my description hard to digest, consider reading up on PBI devices. I don't think this is necessary the best place for a thesis on the parallel bus interface, although I fear you've already gone heavily off-topic.

In any event it sounds like this is not something you are interested in...

I was sufficiently interested in the AVG cart to help the developer with SIDE emulation, and sufficiently interested in your queries to provide answers to them, repeatedly. If you don't like the answers, there's not much I can do about that.

If a person just makes a generalized statement and you can get the jist of what they're getting at.... but don't like it... go technical and precise, go about tearing it up and make it look silly as possible. We ole' folks are just a bunch of hardware hackers. What do we know?

I take it you prefer imprecise and non-technical? What the fuck do you want me to say? Should I make up an answer that isn't as triggering for you? How about not trying to sound like a smart-ass when replying to my responses:

If we don't want to get that creative, just for giggles, who can name the fast math cartridges by mpp and the like.

You're the venerable old hacker, so presumably there's a way of mapping 8KB of cartridge ROM to the math pack address space that I don't know about. Go right ahead and do it, then.

There's nothing about your suggestions or observations I don't particularly like. It seems to be YOU who has the problem, with both the message and the messenger. I assume that's your reason for venting about it.

Have you noticed the number of people clearing out their stuff recently? Just up and selling it or giving it away for shipping? or saying they've had it? We get to feeling as Mclaneinc just did or even as some others such as myself take a break.

Oh, is it my fault people are selling off their Atari gear now, is it? Or my fault that drama queens are having public meltdowns in threads I didn't even post in (although I did 'like' a couple of posts, which proved highly triggering)? It's not as if I actually PRODUCE anything which facilitates people actually getting more use out of their gear, is it?

We are all suppose to be on the same team. At one time we used to be. I don't think we all need to be myopic or anal. If you kind of think you know where someone is going with an idea or thing... how about guiding them to it or even saying something like I know what you're thinking maybe we could do it this way or that... ... instead of some - you didn't say that in that way you said it this way blah blah blah... you full well know what the idea is or is going to be! Since you are quite intelligent and have your responses at the ready knowing what the posts will be. Those of us who can't remember what we had for lunch will slowly get around to stating things in a way that we all can understand and or finally remember and word it more correctly later anyway... but it doesn't have to be so adversarial, so anal, so rigid.

I spent a lot of time answering your questions, and if you don't like the answers or if you sense I'm becoming irritated by the fact you can't understand what I'm talking about, that would be squarely your problem. I don't have time to dumb everything down for the benefit of people who can't hold a cogent discussion. Ever considered that I sometimes respond to your questions at one in the morning or while snatching a moment of forum time on the bus? Ever consider I might have had a bad day and might not feel like going the long way around a simple explanation for the benefit of slow readers? What's so particularly fucking special about your context which requires me to repeat the same explanation again and again and again and have to like it?

The fact of the matter is, I answered every question you posed and you still continued to pick and push. 'Yes, but they put a fast math pack on a cart,' and 'Why can't the PBI BIOS be put in a custom OS?'. I've even answered similar questions elsewhere on the forum (the matter of patching the SIO being an age-old subject), and now you've reached the point of wanting a patched OS for the AVG cart. Go ahead and PM tmp and ask for one instead of pontificating about my posting style. If you want to know more about the parallel device firmware, go and read up on it instead of getting on my case.

I've been posting here for nearly ten years now and it's only a handful of jackasses who ever had a problem they felt the need to vocalise, and half of them ended up banned because it was emprically proven that they were full of shit. The few left over appear to be habitual 'jokers' who are super self-deprecating, lovable old eccentrics... at least until they get triggered, at which point they become reproachful, didactic, easily offended, and perpetually misconstrued owing to their personal context. You never know where the hell you are with such people, and even the safest response (unambiguous, detailed, factual) is liable to offend unless you completely absolve them of their own agency and personal responsibility. That's frankly too much work when posting at six in the morning or on the bus with a smartphone.

The old 'I've had it with AtariAge' [shuffles deck, picks card] 'it's too serious/confrontational/clannish' is the also the oldest sympathy ploy in the book. People who announce their departure in such a grand manner almost always come back, lurk, or never had any intention of leaving in the first place.

Delighted to hear that I'm 'quite intelligent', though. I must tell the wife about that. She will be shocked and delighted.

Edited by flashjazzcat

.....Learn some bloody manners..

You didn't bring me into the conversation but you could not help make a rather disgusting ill mannered RUDE comment that I'm a drama queen...MATE...You could not deal with the crap I've gone through and still do, the last thing I need is god complex sounding types being ignorant. I left our conversation say that I loved your work and I would leave it be even after the acidic jibe PM I got telling me how I need to explained to how to write on a forum.

And yet I'm back in the mix again, Doc brought my name in because he saw something that was common in the way things are going on the forum, nothing more but you could not resist even after me saying that was it, to have a dig..

I'll leave this as I'm sensing there's something more at play here and it may not be a thing you can control..

I'll just put you on my very small (even after 30yrs of posting) ignore list, I thank you for help you have gave me and wish you well in your work but as a person I can't conduct chat with you,,,

Bye bye..

• Like 2

.....Learn some bloody manners..

You didn't bring me into the conversation but you could not help make a rather disgusting ill mannered RUDE comment that I'm a drama queen...MATE...You could not deal with the crap I've gone through and still do, the last thing I need is god complex sounding types being ignorant. I left our conversation say that I loved your work and I would leave it be even after the acidic jibe PM I got telling me how I need to explained to how to write on a forum.

And yet I'm back in the mix again, Doc brought my name in because he saw something that was common in the way things are going on the forum, nothing more but you could not resist even after me saying that was it, to have a dig..

I'll leave this as I'm sensing there's something more at play here and it may not be a thing you can control..

I'll just put you on my very small (even after 30yrs of posting) ignore list, I thank you for help you have gave me and wish you well in your work but as a person I can't conduct chat with you,,,

Bye bye..

nice use of (1.67) elipsis Mac.

Seriously though, I'm struggling to understand how one person - who's given more to the Atari community than most of us - can be to blame for all the wrongs in the world.

I personally, (donning my Oxy Acetylene mask and Asbestos Suit) think this has all gone too far now.

If you really feel that drama queen is a "disgusting ill mannered RUDE comment", then perhaps you are being a bit over-sensitive.If the worst i ever got called on AAGE was Drama Queen, then I'd be delighted.

FWIW - I've always found Jon to be helpful, approachable and particularly UNRUDE, non-disgusting and mild mannered. Perhaps any recipients of his ire may be better served considering "what have I done to provoke this". se regarde etc etc.

Martin, how it was said and why it was meant are two different matters, Jon knows what he meant and it was a personal dig just like "get f*cked" was to someone else, I know you know Jon well and he's done some stuff for you and as I've said so many times I'm getting a bit annoyed, that I love his work and he has been ok at times but lately his manner has been rather terse and ignorant which he never apologises for and makes just as silly remarks. He's taken simple silly jokes and instead of using a PM to say "please don't do jokes like that", instead he threw acidic comments back.

The drama queen comment refers to me being open about the problems I've had over the years and how with the mental health side I struggle with depression, he's used that to ridicule my recent post re the way things are going..FACT..That's the charming mate you have. Personally I could go down possible issues of the like with Jon but its not my call and its not the platform to do it from so NO, I don't like the remark...

I do NOT want this used to make this look like its a turn on a dev if possible, I'm sure he has done lots of stuff and I've seen his work but we are talking about the person and not the dev now, please please do not muddy the water through friendship of him..

I've never said he was responsible for all the ills but if you can't see how the threads have turned then perhaps you are looking too closely at the dev said.

And please don't tell me "I deserved it", that's just wrong and I've spent 30 plus years spreading the Atari word and being kind and hell to people, Jon is one of the utterly rare people that has thrown his toys out of the pram ever, so perhaps you should look at it a bit less one sided..

If that means I'm not welcome on your forum then so be it, I used to like Jon but I don't feel like its the same guy, I love what he has done for the community BUT that does not give anyone special rights to try and humiliate folk...Would you be so happy with "get f*cked*..Probably not..

He's on ignore, I don''t care what he has to say but now others are bringing me back in to this nonsense...Please leave me out of it..Jon does not like my or most humour, fine, ignore it,..

No on deserves it over such small inequities. No one questioned contribution. No one questioned intelligence. We are not all powerful and omnipotent. FJC was always a pleasure to work with, help and deal with. When his knowledge increased and he really started to shine and take off he changed a bit. He has developed something in his writing that has become off putting and un-approachable for some. When an idea is not well like in his thought process he advocates against it, going beyond the normal that's not the way I'd go about it approach. He had always been of the 'this is how I would do it' mentality or 'I think I know what you're trying to say' sort of bloke. But in the past year it's basically not been the case. We are getting the 'not a chance', it's all wrong sort of responses. Mind you sometimes interspersed with good nuggets of knowledge. Many speak very general on the normal threads and leave the technical perfection for the special threads at the top dedicated to such deep discussion. Even then talk is general and guided to a degree, especially until it's finally focused in on, all the ideas and weird chatter ceases and two or three people have at it with code and a definite and precise process and conversation develops, all eager as the solution is brought forth over time.

I had mentioned a few times I was concerned and perhaps a refresh was in order, rest, sleep, or even air conditioning. Some time with the cat (though I have seen in recent times, and hope is well) or the wife (whom questions intelligence???) was my thoughts. Having conversed with Jon over the years, I kind of felt as though he were a friend. I sincerely enjoy his insight and whit, sometimes barbs, and it's all been in good fun. I have gotten a rather bad vibe as I've read through all his posts as I stated for a period of time, and it's become cumulative. Perhaps that is my failing, I have become touchy about it. I still think he needs a vacation and some time spent in happiness and comedy. I am perhaps getting pissy with the current Jon as to the old 'Cat I knew.

The drama queen comment refers to me being open about the problems I've had over the years and how with the mental health side I struggle with depression, he's used that to ridicule my recent post re the way things are going..FACT..That's the charming mate you have. Personally I could go down possible issues of the like with Jon but its not my call and its not the platform to do it from so NO, I don't like the remark...

If that means I'm not welcome on your forum then so be it, I used to like Jon but I don't feel like its the same guy, I love what he has done for the community BUT that does not give anyone special rights to try and humiliate folk...Would you be so happy with "get f*cked*..Probably not..

see, i didn't read it that way at all. i understood Jon's comments to be about reactions solely within the AA environment - nothing else.

I'd also add, that I've not fallen out with you and I don't know why you'd summise that - because in this instance I agree with someone that you disagree with - I'd no longer welcome you at AS. That kind of reaction is a little - if not, "drama queen", then - toy-hurling from pram.

I don't see any humiliation. we're all adults - as i said earlier, if all I ever got called in life was "drama queen" I'd be delighted. whne the adjectives start rhyming with "bunt" "banker" "wickhead" and "ducker", then there's something to be concerned about.

Again, I don't think anyone said "get f**ked" - that's 100% down to interpretation (albeit a very-likely wrong one, to boot).

I'll wade out of this pond now - the water is starting to smell, and I'm sure I just saw a crocodile in the shallows. :)

he most certainly did drop the f* bomb, and has gone back to edit things in retrospect...it all looks much more reasonable now.... which is fine... but worries me further.

We all stand up for our friends, sometimes it's all friends involved which can be a tough place.

edit, full disclosure, I've edited this message...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I used the phrase 'Get f***ed' in a PM to Paul to describe my feelings towards a particular type of forum member who criticises the culture of one forum from the safety of another (Those people can 'get f***ed'). If Paul chooses to identify as that kind of person, that's a matter for him.

The same phrase was indeed edited out of my reply to _The_Doctor_ about thirty seconds after I posted it, since I felt it inappropriate in the circumstances. If you want me to put it back, I'll gladly oblige. On the other hand, if it serves your purposes better to misrepresent a small change as 'going back to edit the whole thing... making it all look to his advantage', please yourself.

I'm wondering where the robust sense of HUMOUR went, of which Paul was such a vocal exponent earlier in the week. I'm seeing lots of drama, lots of getting offended, and a complete absence of humour from either of you. So serious!

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Jon there is no funny right at the moment and you are not being sincere. You were not making a funny. No ones humor is involved at that point. You have told a number or people to f off or go away or good riddance that sort of thing for a period of time. I certainly never expected to be one. I am very worried in light of all of this. I hope whatever it is will be looking up... I hope you find me as a friend at some point in the future again.

Maybe we are all different now. Who knows. I can only shake it off at this point. I can't help. Looks like all it does is make a bigger mess. I'm going to leave it alone.

When an idea is not well like in his thought process he advocates against it, going beyond the normal that's not the way I'd go about it approach. He had always been of the 'this is how I would do it' mentality or 'I think I know what you're trying to say' sort of bloke. But in the past year it's basically not been the case. We are getting the 'not a chance', it's all wrong sort of responses.

That's how WE ALL work. Everyone naturally gravitates toward their own perspective - until it's proven unworkable. We ALL favour our own pet ideas.

Also, there's at least 50 people on here with more Atari knowledge than myself. Accepted.

Of those fiifty, about a dozen will ALWAYS know better than me in ANY given technical Atari situation. For those dozen or so I will always 100% accede to their view, this is how I learn - from people who know better. They don't have to go into the whys and wherefores of why something will work better or more easily if done a different way.

When I underwent surgery five years ago, I didn't :

■ advise the surgeon on how I thought it should be done, or

■ ask the surgeon to explain the intricacies of the procedure.

sometimes, if someone knows better - that's enough for me.

what about if the thread is wrestled back on topic? :)

Edited by Guest

@Brenski, all very fair points...

Hoping the doctors could have a discussion about the procedure involved here though.

Looks like the meeting concluded and they've decided to see how things progress on their own, maybe surgery down the line or not at all. Who knows? Who Knows?