IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Here are two music tracks from the Tempest 2000 soundtrack CD. Now you can listen to them on an A8 with PDM player by FJC and UNO / SIDE / AVG cart...

Tempest 2k1 pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Tempest 2k1 pcm4+4 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.zip

Tempest 2k2 pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Tempest 2k2 pcm4+4 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 5

Here is "Third Side Of Numen" music track, original length 11 minutes 28 seconds. A video of it can be found e.g. here: https: // www. youtube.com/watch?v=WQGs23r4ADY

(remove three spaces). Use the PDM player by FJC and your UNO / SIDE / AVG cart... and remember, I am hard-hearing, so if any of my PDM files sound strange, you know why.

Besides, I do own several thousand original songs (on several hundred original / commercial audio CD's) and have already converted 500 rock + pop songs into the PDM format (all mono + stereo). But I do not want to upload any of them here. Otherwise the record companies may sue Albert and me...

Numen (3rd Side) pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Numen (3rd Side) pcm4+4 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 4

Here is "Third Side Of Numen" music track, original length 11 minutes 28 seconds. A video of it can be found e.g. here: https: // www. youtube.com/watch?v=WQGs23r4ADY

(remove three spaces). Use the PDM player by FJC and your UNO / SIDE / AVG cart... and remember, I am hard-hearing, so if any of my PDM files sound strange, you know why.

Besides, I do own several thousand original songs (on several hundred original / commercial audio CD's) and have already converted 500 rock + pop songs into the PDM format (all mono + stereo). But I do not want to upload any of them here. Otherwise the record companies may sue Albert and me...

attachicon.gifNumen (3rd Side) pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

attachicon.gifNumen (3rd Side) pcm4+4 stereo 22135Hz ide pal.zip

Any link for the pdm player? I found only an "alpha" version, I don't know where to find the latest...

Some Atarians from Poland did covers/interpretations of 8Bit sounds with an E-Guitar and/or synthesizers. While some are very recognizable (e.g. Warhawk), others sound quite different and only give you a hint by their filename. So here they are as PDM files...

Draconus_by_Franklyn pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Keystone_Kapers_by Vangis pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Ninja_Commando_by Franklyn pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Warhawk_by_Caruso pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

Zybex_by_Franklyn_8Bit pcm4+4 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip

• Like 2

What is the max. GB an SD card does have, when using with AVGCART? 32?

Afaik, AVG supports FAT-16 and FAT-32, SD and SD-HC. Think, SD-XC begins with 64GB, so the largest SD card which AVG can use should be 32GB...?!?

My Sandisk Ultra 32GB SD-card works fine with the AVG cartridge... but in a few years we will need devices and firmware that also support SD-XC...

Regarding cluster size, my 16GB and 32GB Sandisk SD cards were originally formatted with 8k clusters, but that limited the playback of PDM files to a maximum of approx. 24MB; downloaded the Sandisk SD-card formatter V4.x (older version for Win XP, there is V5.x for newer Windows versions) and re-formatted them with 32k clusters (there was no option in SD card formatter for cluster size, I simply chose format and when it was done, it displayed the SD card size and the cluster size). After re-formatting I could easily playback PDM files with a length of 30MB and more...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering, did anyone order those parts for unbricker (esp8266 + cable) and is able to build one? I have an update here that managed to brick one (remote) cart and I need to find out whether it was just a bad luck/british weather that caused it or there's some bigger issue somewhere.

Our weather is bad but not that bad :)

Yep, twas my cart...I personally just think it was bad luck but tmp has been great...Really nice bloke...Like all our devs and vendors (that I've used), always there to help....Never used FJC but the reports are glowing (didn't want to leave out one of our most known modders / coders / fixers).

Same for all our EU folks..

• Like 1

A nice by product of this issue is that I had already ordered the parts for the debricker device, but because tmp has kindly posted me one to save a LONG wait it means I'll build a debricker when my parts come, flash it up and it will be available if anyone else had an issue like mine, it could be sort of passed around / pay it on if people want to.

Hopefully no one will need it but it will be there just in case..

• Like 2

The debricker works a treat, it even rescued a stubborn cart that I have as it refused to get along at all, almost gave up. Gave it repeated tries and then I was able to flash the firmware. Then we flashed it again just to make sure. It was indeed working again.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Now, if every A8 hardware could be updated so easily...

- download the firmware update and copy it onto your (AVG) SD-card

- insert SD-card into AVG-cart, then insert AVG-cart into A8

- power on Atari and simply press Shift-Control-U and wait.

Done!

No need to buy a USB-Blaster and most of all, no need to download some sh.... gigabytes of Quartus xyz Software. Listening to some music now... with my HiFi system (CDA) or the AVG cart (PDM)... :)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Hmmm,

in the zip-archive of the update there is a file, named "AVFPlay" (no extender)...?!? What's its purpose ? Threw it into the main/root directory of the SD-card, but it does not show up on the menu, so no clue what's it for. (Simply thrown into the archive, so that CC asks about it?)

Also, after I did the firmware update, AVG menu works with joystick, SIDE XEX-Loader (CAR from december 2018, not updated in the first post?) seems not to work with joystick, whereas PDM-Player (PDM.XEX) works with joystick...?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Also, after I did the firmware update, AVG menu works with joystick, SIDE XEX-Loader (CAR from december 2018, not updated in the first post?) seems not to work with joystick, whereas PDM-Player (PDM.XEX) works with joystick...?!?

The SIDE cartridge's NVRAM is not emulated by the AVG cartridge, so the SIDE loader always presents default settings (since it attempts to read the configuration from the non-existent DS1305 RTC chip, and since the checksum is wrong 100 per cent of the time, it finds the configuration to be invalid and uses the defaults). The PDM player does not save any configuration data at all, meanwhile, and happens to default to 'joystick enabled'.

Have you tried manually enabling the joystick in the SIDE loader? There's no reason why that would not work. If the default setting for the joystick needs to be 'Port 1' instead of 'Disabled', I will consider it.

EDIT: Looks like I already considered it, since the default in the unreleased update is 'Port 1'. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

The SIDE cartridge's NVRAM is not emulated by the AVG cartridge, so the SIDE loader always presents default settings (since it attempts to read the configuration from the non-existent DS1305 RTC chip, and since the checksum is wrong 100 per cent of the time, it finds the configuration to be invalid and uses the defaults). The PDM player does not save any configuration data at all, meanwhile, and happens to default to 'joystick enabled'.

Have you tried manually enabling the joystick in the SIDE loader? There's no reason why that would not work. If the default setting for the joystick needs to be 'Port 1' instead of 'Disabled', I will consider it.

EDIT: Looks like I already considered it, since the default in the unreleased update is 'Port 1'. ;)

No, I did not try it, since the settings of SIDE XEX-loader are not saved/loaded anyways (due to the missing DS1305 RTC chip). But it would be cool if the status of the "unreleased update" would change into a "released update" and then become available for AVG also... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

No, I did not try it, since the settings of SIDE XEX-loader are not saved/loaded anyways (due to the missing DS1305 RTC chip).

Despite the fact that settings are not saved, enabling the joystick on a per-session basis will at least allow it to be used for the time being.

But it would be cool if the status of the "unreleased update" would change into a "released update" and then become available for AVG also... ;-)

Yes: that would be very cool. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), I spent three heavy hours last night frantically fixing a bug in the loader which was usefully uncovered by user skr (to whom thanks are due). I think that when three days have passed without additional features being added (like the support for two additional 'broken' ATR types added the other day) or new bugs being found, then it will be safe to release the update. :D

• Like 6