IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Hmmm,

in the zip-archive of the update there is a file, named "AVFPlay" (no extender)...?!? What's its purpose ? Threw it into the main/root directory of the SD-card, but it does not show up on the menu, so no clue what's it for.

it's a slightly patched version of phaeron's player from this thread

it might be playing videos from that thread if you're lucky, they need to have AVF file extension and be contiguous (defragmented - use contig to check/defragment)

you also need pal videos for pal machines and ntsc for ntsc

• Like 4

move the stick then press joy button

I suspect the stick controls will be modified at next release.

Unless you are selecting an image using the button to launch, or go into a directory. always move the stick first and hold it in whatever direction then press and release the button.

it's a slightly patched version of phaeron's player from this thread

it might be playing videos from that thread if you're lucky, they need to have AVF file extension and be contiguous (defragmented - use contig to check/defragment)

you also need pal videos for pal machines and ntsc for ntsc

W-O-W-!!!

I can hereby confirm that all videos that I downloaded from that thread do work fine from the AVG cart. All I had to do is download them, extract/unzip them on the PC, change the extender (DD, IMG, BIN, etc.) into .AVF and copy them onto my AVG SD-card. Since I already copied the loader AVFPlay onto the card (root directory), the AVG menu displayed and loaded the movies fine...

My A8 system is PAL, it should only load the PAL videos, but it also loaded the NTSC videos - with extremely awful colors and extremely awful sound, but it loaded them. They are good for a gag or a quiz maybe ;-) The PAL videos were much nicer of course, some with low quality (Skyfall intro, first Tron_PAL movie, Matrix scene - no good audio) and some with great quality (2Unlimited videos, Amiga demos, 2nd Tron_PAL movie, etc.). Since I have never done such a movie conversion and know nothing about VirtualDub or muxing audio+video together, I am quite sure that my conversions would belong to the low quality ones, so hats off to the Atarians that created/converted videos with great audio & video quality!

I noticed that videos with a lot of black(ness) and darkness often had lots of green pixels on the screen which made the video(s) look not as good as they could be, e.g. The Matrix. Is this a PAL problem or what is it that makes those green pixels appear where there is originally black ? (Think I have seen a similar thing in the JPEG converter by R.Espino, all JPEG pictures that had black parts in them displayed lots of green pixels there after the conversion...)

Anyways, most videos are great and I will present them on the next HATZ meeting (not sure if the visitors are still interested in the PDM sounds then)...

P.S.: When I first saw the AVFPlay file, I guessed that AV could mean Atari Video or AudioVideo, but had no clue what F could mean and so I thought, no, its most-likely no video-player. But now I know, it really is ! AVF = Atari Video File ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3

I noticed that videos with a lot of black(ness) and darkness often had lots of green pixels on the screen which made the video(s) look not as good as they could be, e.g. The Matrix. Is this a PAL problem or what is it that makes those green pixels appear where there is originally black ? (Think I have seen a similar thing in the JPEG converter by R.Espino, all JPEG pictures that had black parts in them displayed lots of green pixels there after the conversion...)

i can't tell since i don't see what you're seeing, you can try to create a zero filled file (e.g. 10MB) and play that, it should be completely black

if you're still seeing any green pixels, you can try a different sd card (preferably from a different manufacturer) to see whether there's a difference

• Like 1

Ah ok, just so many horrendous quality fakes of just about everything inc SD's these days..

The trouble I have buying new / 2nd hand blu rays cheaply, so many Chinese fakes and bad ones at that..

Edited by Mclaneinc

I am using the following SD-cards:

a) working:

Sandisk Ultra SDHC I, 16GB, class 10 (in use with AVG-1); FAT 32, re-formatted with 32k clusters;

Sandisk Ultra SDHC I, 32GB, class 10 (in use with AVG-2); FAT 32, re-formatted with 32k clusters;

Sandisk SD 2GB, blue/red, nothing else printed on it (in use with two SIO2SD); FAT 16

Sandisk SD 2GB, blue/red, class 2 printed on it (in use with two Ultimate cart.); FAT 16

Transcend SD 2GB, nothing else printed on it (in use with two SIO2SD/PC micro by santosp); FAT 16

b) non-working:

errmm, nothing atm. (looks like I am lucky...)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

File added to previous post, thanks for appreciation.

Did you notice that it's easier to play those videos with AVGCart?

IIRC with Side2 I had to put the file inside compact flash with win32diskimager and load the player from a SIO device.

• Like 4

I have not done any videos, but the ones that I downloaded from AtariAge forums have a very green tint with greys and some off red.. except for two files that were marked as ntsc and show very good color and sound. Dragon Lair and Half_Life ..