IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

22 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

?

Is this going to become the 1541 Ultimate+II for Atari? A 1050 Average+II?

not really, this is just a by-product of testing some ideas and (ab)using avgcart as a devboard

currently it's 2 emulated xf551s, kinda works but there are still quirks i need to debug (also trying to run it via a single floppy cable is slightly problematic), the hw is just a few connectors, some pullups and many wires, if it ever gets working properly, i might design an adapter pcb for it or let someone else do it but it's gonna be unofficial and unsupported

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I now have an U1MB installed in my 130XE and want to use the SIDE loader with the AVG cart.

These were the changes on update 016

- SIDE mode on power-on if right button is pressed
- SIDE mode on power-on if card contains file _AVGCART/SIDE (Ctrl-Shift-S and Ctrl-S creates/removes file on card)
- Shift-S is now working for cards with no FAT filesystem
- Right button in SIDE mode emulates SIDE button

I have 017 on my AVG cart.
I can turn on SIDE mode using Ctrl-Shift-S once in the AVG Cart menu and then load the SDLOADER3.CAR and have a working SIDE loader.

However booting with right button pressed, just gives me a grey screen and I won't get the AVG menu on reboot until I delete the _AVGCART/SIDE file on my SD card.

Am I doing something wrong or have I misunderstood which need to be taken in which order ?

If you have U1MB, you don't need the SDLOADER3.CAR file. Enable the PBI BIOS, HDD and ATR swap button in the U1MB BIOS setup menu. Then power cycle the machine and make sure you put AVG into SIDE mode as you do so via whichever method you prefer. You can then use the SIDE loader built into the U1MB firmware to mount disk images, partitions, etc, and boot from them. The AVG acts almost exactly like a SIDE cart, right down to using the button to rotate ATR mount points for loading multi-disk titles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Completely agree, it's little things, like the fact it reads every SDcard i throw at it, my Ultimate cart is extremely picky about what it will work with. I only have one card it likes, every other card just displays an empty menu, they all work fine on the AVG. 

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

Completely agree, it's little things, like the fact it reads every SDcard i throw at it, my Ultimate cart is extremely picky about what it will work with. I only have one card it likes, every other card just displays an empty menu, they all work fine on the AVG. 

Is there a manual or a site, someplace I can get information about this cart?  I inherited one this weekend and would like to put it on the road.  The menu just says 'Mounting SD card' and sits there.  I figure I need to format the card or something.

Best,

Jeff

Yeah, the manual is in the github repo  

the cards need to be formatted fat32  but like I say, it's quite picky. It seems to be something about how fast the card is to become ready, if I hit the button and reset I get a blank menu even with the card it does read. I have to power cycle to get the card contents back up.

55 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Yeah, the manual is in the github repo  

the cards need to be formatted fat32  but like I say, it's quite picky. It seems to be something about how fast the card is to become ready, if I hit the button and reset I get a blank menu even with the card it does read. I have to power cycle to get the card contents back up.

Is this "Ultimate Cart" the same as the AVG cart?  Mine has two buttins...  I'm confused.

1 hour ago, Technoid Mutant said:
Is this "Ultimate Cart" the same as the AVG cart?  Mine has two buttins...  I'm confused.

So, I got it right, you need AVGCart instructions, not Ultimate's.

As I've written in previous post (#620), you'll find AVGCart instructions in first post. 

You only have to format the SD card and drag and drop files on it.

Second button is useful to swap ATR disks (ATR compatibility is limited, because it's not a SIO device).