IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

12 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Now there is an _AVGCART folder, would it be a good idea to move files like AVGCARTA.UPD, OSXEX and AVFPLAY to there to keep things tidy?

update file is always read from the current directory and i want to keep it that way since it has some advantages

the other support files, i don't have a strong opinion about that, they're not shown in the browser so that's not an issue and i can't tell if more people would appreciate the change or be pissed due to having to figure out why things stopped working

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Where can I get PDMPLAY from? 

Do you mean the PDM-player from FJC for AVG-cart ? If so, try this one:

pdm.zip

To use the player with the AVG-cart you first have to load the SIDE-loader (*.CAR file), then load the PDM.XEX file and finally load a PDM file. Alas, once you have picked a PDM file and play it back, you have to listen to it until the end, since there is no key to stop or abort playback and return to the menu. (But when playing ends, it will return to the menu). Curious as I were, I tried something stupid, by renaming PDM.XEX into PDM or PDMplay (without any extender). The AVG menu did then show all PDM files but it could not play any of them, so it looks like you simply must use SIDE-loader and then PDM.XEX to playback PDM files...

@FJC: I would really like to see a small update to PDM.XEX - a key to stop (abort) playing the current PDM file and return to the menu (so one can choose another file)... of course stereo-playback is also a nice option ;-)

SIDEloader_v3.zip

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

@FJC: I would really like to see a small update to PDM.XEX - a key to stop (abort) playing the current PDM file and return to the menu (so one can choose another file)... of course stereo-playback is also a nice option

Yes: I promised to update the thing months ago, but am still adding yet further refinements to the latest version of the SIDE Loader, believe it or not (like, right this minute). :) I will endeavour to add the requested features to the player as soon as I can.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Do you mean the PDM-player from FJC for AVG-cart ? If so, try this one:

No, I have that.

If you try to play a PDM file from the AVG Cart menu, it pops up an error message saying it can't find PDMPLAY, I thought I might have missed a release.

4 hours ago, tmp said:

the other support files, i don't have a strong opinion about that, they're not shown in the browser so that's not an issue and i can't tell if more people would appreciate the change or be pissed due to having to figure out why things stopped working

I'm not invested one way or the other, it just seemed logical

I tested AVFPLAY just a couple of days ago using the latest firmware and the PAL example videos from the AVF thread, and everything worked perfectly. I didn't do anything to the SD card I usually have in my cart, just put the files on it and selected them from the menu. The SD is a sandisk 32GB one formatted to fat32

16 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

Yesterday I updated my AVGCART (Firmware Version 17) and afterwards I wanted to test AVFPLAY.

Unfortunately I see and hear only garbage :(

I tested various SD cards (also fast ones) and I let the files get defragmented with "Contig" tool.

The filesystem is FAT32.

Any idea?

unfortunately no, there were only a few similar reports and i don't think the cause of the problem was found in those cases

i've never seen this problem myself so i was never able to look into that

what machine is this and are you able to test it on a different machine?

Hmmm,

I am using firmware 17 and so far all the AVF movies do work fine - when there are no PDM files on the same SD card (and vice-versa, the PDM files do work fine, when there are no AVF files on the same SD card), no clue why. It's strange, since the AVF movies are in a subfolder and the PDM files are in another subfolder (using FAT32) on a 16GB Sandisk ultra (and the same happens on a 32GB Sandisk ultra)...

it should fit the bay but most likely you won't be able to close the cover, atr emulation probably won't work unless you got upgraded ram

i don't own 400 (actually never seen one in person) so hopefully someone who has one and tried avgcart in it will reply here with his experience

13 minutes ago, BigBen said:

Is an interface description to the Atari AVGcart available? Can the cartridge be programmed from the Atari, is access to the Fat32 partition possible? Since last weekend there are more fans of the cartridge and want to support it by software.

there's basically no useful internal interface that could be used by 3rd party sw, when in menu, atari is only used as a dumb terminal so it doesn't have access to stuff like files/entries (not that you could talk to the cart at that moment since the menu is running), when it's emulating cart, it only responds to stuff that is defined by the bankswitching type (until you press the cart button), etc.

now i'm not against doing some custom interface if there's a good use case for that, it's just there was no point in doing any extra stuff that nobody would ever code anything for so basically everything is just a bare minimum to have the core functionality working

• Like 1