IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

On 12/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, tmp said:

it should fit the bay but most likely you won't be able to close the cover, atr emulation probably won't work unless you got upgraded ram

i don't own 400 (actually never seen one in person) so hopefully someone who has one and tried avgcart in it will reply here with his experience

I get the AVGcart yesterday and it's working perfectly in my Atari 800XL.

Out of interest I wanted to know if the AVGCart also works in my Atari400.

But, strangely enough, it is not recognized at all.

I had to test the AVGCart without the case, because the Slot of the Atari 400 is too narrow.

Edited by Apostrophe

2 hours ago, Apostrophe said:

I get the AVGcart yesterday and it's working perfectly in my Atari 800XL.

Out of interest I wanted to know if the AVGCart also works in my Atari400.

But, strangely enough, it is not recognized at all.

I had to test the AVGCart without the case, because the Slot of the Atari 400 is too narrow.

This is a common complaint with modern cartridges.  The fix is to sand the sides of the cart to remove a little material.  It'll fit.  Have you upgraded this 400 to more than 16k?  If so, you can sure run the Side2, but if not, I would think none of these carts would do much of anything in 16k.

Jeff

I have a similar problem with QMEG-OS: At power on with the AVG-Cart, the cart is often simply ignored (except the screen often gets black) and otherwise the Atari crashes (garbage at the screen is displayed). After I press Reset, the AVG cart works normally (or I hold SELECT to ignore the cart at power on to avoid a crash). But on the 400 this doesn't work after a crash, since Reset is not a CPU reset, but an interrupt.

I suppose, the AVG cart needs some time to initialize itself. The cold reset in the 400-OS and QMEG-OS works much faster, since these OSes don't test the whole RAM, as the XL-OS does. So the cart may have not been initialized fully when the OS jumps to the cart ROM area - maybe the cart doesn't present its ROM at $a000 in time.

Many thanks for the AVG cart - it's fantastic.

just the other day i was looking into an issue with xex loading on 800 (some other thread here) and noticed that when i downgraded from beta 0018 to 0015, it was crashing when i used OS B rom and it needed a reset

there were some startup changes in 0018 but they should not make the menu rom make available that much sooner than in older versions, i'll do some tests with qmeg later, thanks for the info

2 hours ago, StefanD said:

I have a similar problem with QMEG-OS: At power on with the AVG-Cart, the cart is often simply ignored (except the screen often gets black) and otherwise the Atari crashes (garbage at the screen is displayed). After I press Reset, the AVG cart works normally (or I hold SELECT to ignore the cart at power on to avoid a crash). But on the 400 this doesn't work after a crash, since Reset is not a CPU reset, but an interrupt.

ok, i think i need a bit more info since this is the first time i'm seeing qmeg

i've flashed qmeg+ 4.04 to one of the u1mb's slots and now when i turn on the atari, qmeg menu shows up and when i press esc, avgcart's menu shows up

should that crash be happening before qmeg menu shows up but cart is being ignored?

15 hours ago, tmp said:

bummer

it acts as there was no cart inserted or does it crash in any way?

i assume pressing reset doesn't bring the menu, right?

Okay, I've run some more tests now. It acts as there was no cart.

I couldn't reset the keyboard, because the cable of the keyboard is broken. I'm still looking for a spare keyboard. Therefore I connected pin 18 and pin 22 of the keyboard connector (ResetButton) But no reset was triggered. Apparently the RNMI input of the Antic is defective. Therefore I have now connected the reset line of the CPU with a button. And look, after a reset, the AVGCart ? works.

Edited by Apostrophe

13 hours ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

This is a common complaint with modern cartridges.  The fix is to sand the sides of the cart to remove a little material.  It'll fit.  Have you upgraded this 400 to more than 16k?  If so, you can sure run the Side2, but if not, I would think none of these carts would do much of anything in 16k.

Jeff

Yes, I built a 64KByte memory expansion at that time, of which 52KByte are available.

7 minutes ago, Apostrophe said:

@tmp What I just remembered, controlling the AVGCart with a joystick is great, especially since my Atari doesn't have a working keyboard at the moment. What I am missing, is an additional entry in the menu, to get one level higher again. Something like, ".."

Try Backspace.

Best,

Jeff

29 minutes ago, Apostrophe said:

@tmp What I just remembered, controlling the AVGCart with a joystick is great, especially since my Atari doesn't have a working keyboard at the moment. What I am missing, is an additional entry in the menu, to get one level higher again. Something like, ".."

left+fire should work

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, tmp said:

ok, i think i need a bit more info since this is the first time i'm seeing qmeg

i've flashed qmeg+ 4.04 to one of the u1mb's slots and now when i turn on the atari, qmeg menu shows up and when i press esc, avgcart's menu shows up

should that crash be happening before qmeg menu shows up but cart is being ignored?

Sorry, the Atari with QMEG-OS didn't crash - I haven't waited long enough after the screen fills with garbage. The exact sequence is:
- Turn on Atari with QMEG-OS
- The normal empty text screen appears for a very short time
- The screen turns black or (quite seldom) garbage appears on the screen
- The OS now tries to boot drive #1
- If drive #1 isn't active, the OS goes to the QMEG menu (which is a replacement for the self test).
Normal behaviour without AVG cart is, that the empty text screen remains there while the OS tries to boot drive #1 (like the XL-OS does).

I assume, that the AVG cart doesn't activate its ROM early enough before the OS checks for a cart. So the OS places the text screen and the display list at $bcxx and when the cart activates its cart area $a000-$bfff, it implicitely changes the display list which could cause garbage or a blank screen. (The same may happen with a 400- or 800-OS, but I didn't test this.)

This doesn't really matter, since you can go to AVG cart's menu with Reset (or Esc from the QMEG menu, which jumps to the reset vector $e474). Sorry for the confusion.