IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

On 1/23/2020 at 7:44 PM, tmp said:

that's pretty horrible, i was aware of .ds_store and similar crap but i didn't know it's doing this for every file on fat32

ok, i'll probably add skipping hidden files in the future update

apple...

Yeah, those are the resource forks.  They aren't supported on FAT filesystems, so they create a separate ._ file for each one.   ?

5 minutes ago, jamm said:

flashjazzcat is going to have quite a challenge improving on that

Considering the AVG stands on the shoulders of the UNO and fjc has previously given advice to tmp, I find this a bizarre comment. In what regard would he have to improve something?

1 minute ago, Wrathchild said:

In what regard would he have to improve something?

I kind of started it. :) I made a FAT XEX loader shoot-out video and... erm... won some things. Tmp took it in great spirit, and was working on new firmware for AVG anyway. We're having some fun seeing how fast things can be.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Considering the AVG stands on the shoulders of the UNO and fjc has previously given advice to tmp, I find this a bizarre comment. In what regard would he have to improve something?

fjc has a friendly competition going in his recent review of flash loaders - so it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to that...

• Like 3

i just want to make sure that i'm not passing misinformations, is the following true? are there any other issues not covered?

65XE, 800XL/XE, 130XE, 600XE, XEGS - no issues

800 - cart too tall, lid can't be closed, lid switch has to be triggered by some other means

400, 1200XL - cart too wide, needs to be removed from the shell

ATR emulation needs at least 64kB RAM

1 hour ago, ndary said:

Also it would be nice if AVG could emulate the right cartridge on the ATARI 800 computer

can you explain what scenario you have in mind? 8kb right slot cart (21) should be supported, plus you can concat left + right cart into one 16kb .car file

2 hours ago, tmp said:

800 - cart too tall, lid can't be closed, lid switch has to be triggered by some other means

400, 1200XL - cart too wide, needs to be removed from the shell

Is it possible to create a cartridge case that is less wide so it will fit the 400 and 1200XL?  Or is the PCB itself too wide to allow use of any case at all?

Also, will it fit in an 800 if the metal shielding is removed from the lid?

there was some commercial 3d printed case designed to house avgcart and fit 1200xl but apart from seeing a photo, i can't say much about it (and yes,the pcb is pretty wide)

i believe @Mr Robot was looking into designing one but probably figured it's a too tight fit

and for 800 and height, my guess would be no (even when using a halfsize micro sd adapter) but since i don't own 800 (and it's pretty impossible to get one at a decent price), i can't be sure

4 minutes ago, tmp said:

and for 800 and height, my guess would be no (even when using a halfsize micro sd adapter) but since i don't own 800 (and it's pretty impossible to get one at a decent price), i can't be sure

I'll send you some measurements when I get my cart!

15 hours ago, tmp said:

i believe @Mr Robot was looking into designing one but probably figured it's a too tight fit

I was and I did give up. There was basically no room at all for a case, I was going to sandwich the board so the edge looked like racing stripes or something but it really wasn't feasible.

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

When is the Intel Core i5 version coming out :) I want my SD card search done < 1 second!

I already have one of those! the only problem is that the OS (Windows) and the Windows file manager take more time in searching files than the Atari (when I plug the SD card in both UnoCart or AVG cart).

Good work guys!!! you have already beaten the Intel Core whatever...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, Mr Robot said:

I was and I did give up. There was basically no room at all for a case, I was going to sandwich the board so the edge looked like racing stripes or something but it really wasn't feasible.

I took a look myself since I got my AVGcart recently.  It may be possible to design a case without sides (a sandwich, as Mr. Robot puts it), but the real problem is the height.  Even with the internal metal shield removed from the 800's lid, it won't close due to the AVGcart's buttons.  And that's without an SD card inserted in the cart -- it's significantly taller than that when there's a card inserted.

Basically no way due to height without removing the 800's lid.  A redesign would require the cart to be no taller than it currently is with its buttons removed.

7 hours ago, Philsan said:

I don't like to see SD card on the top of the cart.

I solved the problem with microSD + short adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-MID-MacBook-Pro-Air-MicroSD-Card-Adapter-TF-to-Short-SD-Adapter-Black/182686946979?

(slow shipping)

Interesting!  I hadn't seen those.  If you used one of those, and removed the AVGcart case, and moved the buttons so they faced either forward or backward instead of upward, then it would fit in an 800 without modifying the 800.  ?

8 hours ago, Philsan said:

I don't like to see SD card on the top of the cart.

I solved the problem with microSD + short adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-MID-MacBook-Pro-Air-MicroSD-Card-Adapter-TF-to-Short-SD-Adapter-Black/182686946979?

(slow shipping)

But I like it! The SD-slot in my AVG cart. does not have a spring or something similar to eject the SD-card. So if the SD-card would fit completely inside the case, I would not be able to take it out again without opening the case. And I do not want to open the case everytime I want to remove the SD-card (allthough it is just one screw)...

(I do have a chinese tape-adapter with SD-card and there the SD-card fits completely inside the case and since the SD-slot does not have a spring and the case cannot be opened, I had to use a scissor to cut of some plastic stuff from the case top, so my fingers can grab the card and get it out of the slot and the case again.)

-----

Besides, there was some talk about the new AVG firmware 019, but it has not been uploaded yet, correct ? (Or either my eyes or my browser are playing tricks on me, since I am still seeing fw 018.)