IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

7 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Just ordered these (20 ea) 6 Pin Cables w/6 pin Right Angle connectors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273522982615

Looks like I'll have 18 to send to 18 lucky people in the U.S. after I receive them for the cost of shipping.

Hmmmm, package size is 20cmx20cmx25cm - but what is the actual cable length?

Since I only have 800XL computers I need a cable that is long enough from the (upwards oriented) Cartport to the SIOport... on the XE the SIO and Cart ports are next to each other, not so on the XL's (not to mention the 400/800/1200XL)...

Could the red and white wires be soldered together on the PCB pads?  Or are they used to detect the cable is plugged in?

Was thinking I could use a 4 way connector, and a jumper wire. Maybe.

This is a fantastic development, the AVG is the best thing I ever bought for my Atari, and it just gets better.

those 2 wires are ground and a signal line that is not 5v tolerant (unlike the other 4), i had no use for them so i thought about using it as a cable detect and that's why they're joined

of course you can join them on the board but i'd probably suggest doing so via 10k resistor just to be safe, i'll test the value later and will let you know

Edited by tmp

Ok.  That's sounds good.  I assume the cartridge works exactly as before when loading .xex .car file etc, and its just the .atr loader which changes to SIO when the cable is detected.

So, having the sound and signal line connected permanently via a resistor doesnt affect anything else?

What I'm thinking of is a 4 conductor 3.5mm jack socket, if I can get one to fit on the cartridge.  

4 hours ago, tmp said:

the subsequent question would be "why?"

I understand this has been done before with SIO2PC (USB) so that you just plug a stock USB cable from your PC to USB port mounted in your case, so similar principle.

"Why" would be this not needing the cable from the AVG cart connecting to a Molex plug and hence freeing up the SIO socket, a "thru" socket'd solution just doesn't appeal to me.

Hello Steve

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Who's going to be the first person to mount an AVG cart PCB internally with just the SD/Buttons sticking out and an on/off switch so the cart slot can still be used?

In a 600XL, with VideoXE, Ultimate1MB, Stereo Upgrade, SIO2PC, FujiNet, etc...

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mathy said:

Hello Steve

In a 600XL, with VideoXE, Ultimate1MB, Stereo Upgrade, SIO2PC, FujiNet, etc...

Sincerely

Mathy

Unfortunately I sold my 600xl with all those mods ☹️

Hello guys

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

I understand this has been done before with SIO2PC (USB) so that you just plug a stock USB cable from your PC to USB port mounted in your case, so similar principle.

IMG_8652.jpg

AtariMax

Sincerely

Mathy

PS sorry, dinner is ready, need to go off-line.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmmm, package size is 20cmx20cmx25cm - but what is the actual cable length?

Since I only have 800XL computers I need a cable that is long enough from the (upwards oriented) Cartport to the SIOport... on the XE the SIO and Cart ports are next to each other, not so on the XL's (not to mention the 400/800/1200XL)...

Going by this pic, they should be long enough for my needs.

s00.jpg

random observation: standard atr emulation via osxex breaks when one enables hsio in u1mb

why nobody ever reported this is beyond me

let this be a piece of useful information buried in tens of pages of this thread (at least for the time being)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmp said:

random observation: standard atr emulation via osxex breaks when one enables hsio in u1mb

Naturally, if the OS polls PBI handlers before performing its internal IO.

Not really a big deal for U1MB users, however, since they can just put the AVG cart into SIDE2 mode and use the PBI-based ATR handling, which is preferable to any RAM-based OS solution.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, tmp said:

yes, that looks ok

that cable will be long enough for 800xe but will need extending for xl

Thanks for the hint.

I have doubled the cable length (~30cm) to support XL, too. A few pictures below, so one can better estimate dimensions:

AVG1.thumb.jpg.34be56861c15b3b928f7ee516e0e62fc.jpg

AVG2.thumb.jpg.e29918a194773ef88fa4f1a785a95dc5.jpg

AVG3.thumb.jpg.64f34bcb822506e9e1bf3fba679e08b9.jpg

• Like 5

nice but we need shielding, I know some folks don't car about the noise generated, but it's much better for radio signal of all types that the shielding be on the Atari and it's cables... the lengths folks have gone to in making PCB's have ground planes is an example of how it should be, inside at the board level and out.

• Like 1

Hello Jon, guys

1 minute ago, flashjazzcat said:

I can verify that SIDE2 IDE emulation also got a lot faster with the latest AVG firmware update.

So all we have to do now is ask @Xuel to increase the maximum setting for FujiConvert.  Jon, do you have an idea how high we would be able to go?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Jon, do you have an idea how high we would be able to go?

I don't Mathy; I have yet to try the AVG's AV player, so have little idea what it is capable of. I will have to check it out.

EDIT: D'Oh... of course you mean my player. Sorry. I haven't tested mine on AVG yet, but AVG's IDE emulation is not going to be faster than a SIDE2, so we are not suddenly going to see faster playback rates than were possible already.

Edited by flashjazzcat

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

nice but we need shielding, I know some folks don't car about the noise generated, but it's much better for radio signal of all types that the shielding be on the Atari and it's cables... the lengths folks have gone to in making PCB's have ground planes is an example of how it should be, inside at the board level and out.

I took a shielded, flexible wire and reworked my AVG SIO cable. I don"t think it really matters, but who knows...

AVG1.jpg

AVG2.jpg

AVG3.jpg

AVG4.jpg

• Like 1