IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I can verify that SIDE2 IDE emulation also got a lot faster with the latest AVG firmware update.

Latest firmware as of today for U1MB, Side2, and AVG cart.  All tests in PBI mode.

SI2 Benchmarks:

Side2:  DMA On/DMA Off

Read Sequence:  65 kbytes@sec / 91kbytes@sec

Read Backwards:  62 / 88

Read Random:  62 / 87

Read same sector:  63 / 89

AVG Cart:

Read Sequence:  48 kbytes@sec / 61 kbytes@sec

Read Backwards:  48 / 61

Read Random:  48 / 61

Read same sector:  49 / 62

This compares to a Black Box with a 1gig Toshiba SCSI hard disk, which, since SI2 did not exist when I owned it, I can only give my stopwatch figure.

DMA ON/OFF:  24kbytes@sec / 33kbytes@sec

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
Tab does not work in this editor and causes trouble if you try to use TAB.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

Latest firmware as of today for U1MB, Side2, and AVG cart.  All tests in PBI mode.

SI2 Benchmarks:

Side2:  DMA On/DMA Off

Read Sequence:  65 kbytes@sec / 91kbytes@sec

Read Backwards:  62 / 88

Read Random:  62 / 87

Read same sector:  63 / 89

AVG Cart:

Read Sequence:  48 kbytes@sec / 61 kbytes@sec

Read Backwards:  48 / 61

Read Random:  48 / 61

Read same sector:  49 / 62

This compares to a Black Box with a 1gig Toshiba SCSI hard disk, which, since SI2 did not exist when I owned it, I can only give my stopwatch figure.

DMA ON/OFF:  24kbytes@sec / 33kbytes@sec

Best,

Jeff

Using CF-3 adapter (CF based dual drive) in my 1088XLD, I get:
SDX 4.49 with DMA Off (VBXE driver)

Read - 90kB/sec

Write - 80kB/sec

Amazing setup for someone that started with a 410 (600 baud), later got a 300 baud modem, a 19.2kBaud disk drive, went to 3X SIO, and now - 90kB/sec!  Insanity on this old machine.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

it's a demo of currently very beta and buggy cas emulation via that sio cable described on the previous pages here

i wanted to do only basic cas support but i've found out that standard tape loading on atari is extremely boring and annoying so i added some preliminary turbo support (pwm chunks)

unfortunately the issue i've ran into is the lack of test files, i tried making some using turgen and testing them in atari800 with liba8cas support (is it really the only emulator that supports pwm chunks? really?) to make sure they really work but i've been mostly unsuccessful in getting it work even in emulator so i'm done for now (i'm apparently incompatible with ui of those programs and after a while i had a urge to murder people which is not super useful)

so feel free to provide me some cas + loader (car/rom/xex or even included in cas) combinations that can be verified in any emulator, i'll be grateful

• Like 5

What kind of CAS ?!?

a) CAS created on the PC, they do have the FUJI header, contain info for baudrate and whatnot

b) CAS created on the A8, no Fuji header, just plain binary tape data...

I am using type b) on my A8 computers with several C-Simulators to load them with 19k2 Baud from diskette. Of course not every tape (casfile) works from diskette, due to protections and used memory but approx. 80%-85% from 800 tested tapes do work fine with one CSIM or the other. There is also another 5%-10% of tapes which I can simply freeze, using three different software-freezers (which do create self-running bootdisks)...

For type b) I can send you several ATR images in DOS 2 format with just the data (plain binary files) on it and no CSIM... for type a) there are several (PC) CAS archives on the internet, e.g. the ones Montezuma mentioned above...

Find attached a few (PC) CAS files from my collection. Note that the following files do require Basic: A Day at the Races (Start), Fruit Pickin (CLOAD), Fruit Salad (CLOAD), Hubert (CLOAD, lame+old german type-in listing, please wait init. 3 minutes!). Think I created only five of these CASfiles, all the rest were created by others... Last not least, if the opponents do not appear in Knock Out, just press any key on the keyboard and if you cannot find the key named "anykey", use spacebar instead... ;-)

PC_CASfiles.zip

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Find attached a few (PC) CAS files from my collection. Note that the following files do require Basic: A Day at the Races (Start), Fruit Pickin (CLOAD), Fruit Salad (CLOAD), Hubert (CLOAD, lame+old german type-in listing, please wait init. 3 minutes!). Think I created only five of these CASfiles, all the rest were created by others... Last not least, if the opponents do not appear in Knock Out, just press any key on the keyboard and if you cannot find the key named "anykey", use spacebar instead... ;-)

PC_CASfiles.zip 355.93 kB · 3 downloads

although those files are not turbo (no pwm chunks), some of them contain fsk chunks which i still need to implement so they should be useful for testing, thanks

• Like 1

Blue sky thinking here.

Is it possible for the AVG cart to load a cart image and a disk image at the same time? There are a few carts that need companion disks or a DOS disk to use them. The menu wont allow the picking of more than one item but if the cart can handle it maybe some sort of mechanism could be created to allow this? maybe a text file listing the different files to load or a directory with a file extension so with all the files in that the menu knows to treat as a single item?

Is it possible for the AVG cart to feed audio back to the Atari via the SIO port? Stereo cas files or cas files with accompanying mp3 spring to mind. I'm guessing pin 11 isn't connected so this isn't possible.

6 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Is it possible for the AVG cart to load a cart image and a disk image at the same time? There are a few carts that need companion disks or a DOS disk to use them. The menu wont allow the picking of more than one item but if the cart can handle it maybe some sort of mechanism could be created to allow this? maybe a text file listing the different files to load or a directory with a file extension so with all the files in that the menu knows to treat as a single item?

that is planned in some way, technically you can select atr using tab and then run car even now (needs a tweak to actually work, currently it will ignore one of those files)

6 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Is it possible for the AVG cart to feed audio back to the Atari via the SIO port? Stereo cas files or cas files with accompanying mp3 spring to mind. I'm guessing pin 11 isn't connected so this isn't possible.

this is not planned, get fujinet ;-)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tmp said:

although those files are not turbo (no pwm chunks), some of them contain fsk chunks which i still need to implement so they should be useful for testing, thanks

Aha,

so you need (PC) CAS files then for testing. Sorry, I never used/owned any kind of turbo-tape and therefore never created any turbo-tape files. Even today I am still loading tapes with standard 600 Baud to convert them into bootdisks. I was never really interested in turbo-tape format since there are way too many different formats and I did not bother to make loading from tape a little faster, instead I bought a disk drive...

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Is it possible for the AVG cart to load a cart image and a disk image at the same time?

(just to prevent any confusion, this is not a stock avgcart, it has sio cable added which is a diy mod)

• Like 3