IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Damn, got to extend my cart lead, as its on a 65XE and I have a few 128K files I can't get it to go in to the cart when its mounted on the Syscheck....

Silly me...

Otherwise its working a treat, ATX's just go in fine..

Hello guys

3 hours ago, StickJock said:

I don't know if it will be an issue with your setup, but there is a possibility that inserting/removing the plug may short adjacent contacts.

That was my first thought too.

3 hours ago, marauder666 said:

I dont plan on removing the plug when anything's turned on.

Not a foolproof idea, in my opinion.  A day will come when you're distracted for a moment and either you or somebody else pulls the plug...

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Simple solution, we could just label it with a ️ symbol to identify it as a lightning fast SIO port connector.

If we want a harder wearing connector than a JST we're going to have to pick something already existing, no ones going to make a proprietary one just for this. µSIO or something.

Ooooh!  µSIO.  I like it!

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is an HDMI connector.  It has more than enough pins (19) and is even shaped sort of like an SIO plug.  ?

Of course, they are not cheap.

USB C connectors have 2x12 pins.  You could wire them up in pairs using axial symmetry so that you could plug it in either way.  That would get you 12 SIO pins (skip the +12V pin12 only connected on 400 & 800) in a very small package.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:59 PM, tmp said:

if you prefer not to hack the original shell, you can print your own

avgcart_3d_printed_shells.jpg

https://avgcart.tmp.sk/files/atari/avgcart_3d_printed_shell.zip

(the one with the large cutout is slightly narrower but i doubt it'd fit 1200xl, if anyone has 1200xl and 3d printer, just print either top or bottom, try and let me know)

apparently the narrower one fits 1200xl (thanks to rEVERz for testing and the photo)

avgcart_1200xl.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

All you have to do is sand both sides of the cart a 32nd of an inch or so.  I do it to Side2 carts all the time, to make sure they will fit the original 800 and the 1200xl.  Both machines don't like the common cart shell these days, There's a lip on them, on each side.  Sand til that lip is gone and the cart will fit nicely.

Jeff

• Like 1

I just sand the sides with sandpaper and once I get the lips sanded off, go over them with scotchbrite to smooth things out.  It works well.  Unless you knew it was done, you wouldn't know.  I'll post a couple of photos.

jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
  • Like 1

i don't mind people doing the mod this way, the only issue is that marauder was seeing a behavior for which the easiest explanation would be noise being picked up due to those wires being run over the pcb (ok, yours are routed a bit differently but still)

i don't know if that's plausible, i still hope i'll find a better explanation but you have been warned

3 hours ago, juansolo said:

Just added SIO to my AVG the same as Marauder. Love it, but the beta firmware (got it from Marauder) breaks Side Cart emulation with the U1MB.

avg.jpg

With that resistor there, won't it think the cable is always plugged in even when it's not? You wont ever be able to load ATR's without the cable like that!

Still waiting on Aliexpress here.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, tmp said:

random observation: standard atr emulation via osxex breaks when one enables hsio in u1mb

why nobody ever reported this is beyond me

let this be a piece of useful information buried in tens of pages of this thread (at least for the time being)

Hmmm,

afaik, the highspeed SIO patch by HiasSoft (which is most-likely hsio in u1mb you refer to) uses page 1 to achieve its (up to) Pokey divisor zero speed. Maybe your osxex also requires page 1 ?!? Or there is some other conflict with this hsio in ROM...  I am no U1MB owner...

Most software based (RAM-based) highsio drivers copy the OS into RAM and patch it there, thus utilizing RAM under the OS, which would also break/conflict with osxex...

-----

A friend of mine did the special AVG SIO-cables for me and also drilled the holes into the carts. and soldered the small ports onto the pcbs. Hope to have the carts back in a week and then I am ready for testing the new firmware...

img_2018.jpgFor anyone wondering how the mod works can I say its amazing, there's been zero issues my ends and tmp knows how much I have been throwing at it...

I know tmp has jokingly said  I made him do the ATX support but it works 100% at the mo

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3