IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Aliexpress show my cables as not having left China yet :( but when they do arrive, they will be XL length and I will have spares if anyone wants one.

Aliexpress stopped shipping to a lot of countries right now...

Better use ebay stores, they for now still ship stuff...

If anyone in the UK needs a cable and a header I have 3 full cables left and around 6 headers, the cables are perfect for an XE machine but are woefully short for an XL, so if anyone wants one it's FOC, just about to post one to another member (sorry its a little late Mike, hell here) so all are welcome..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:31 PM, Mr Robot said:

With that resistor there, won't it think the cable is always plugged in even when it's not? You wont ever be able to load ATR's without the cable like that!

The cable will always be plugged in ;) I sold my SIO2SD thingy and I don't have any other devices that use that port. If I ever do need to disconnect it, I'll add a switch to break that connection.

Edited by juansolo

10 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

If anyone in the UK needs a cable and a header I have 3 full cables left and around 6 headers, the cables are perfect for an XE machine but are woefully short for an XL, so if anyone wants one it's FOC, just about to post one to another member (sorry its a little late Mike, hell here) so all are welcome..

No worries, I'm still waiting for the cart ?

On 6/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, tmp said:

there is a beta firmware that has some preliminary support for sio mod (atr, atx, cas), so if you got the mod done, just let me know (and don't forget to share a photo!)

Here is my cable and cartridge. Thanks, @tmp, for this great add on.

52202021624.jpg

52202021523.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mimo said:

Cart has arrived :D

Thanks @tmp 

And your header etc has just been sent via the local PO so maybe 2mozz, had a parcel to send to the US which was the slight delay..

PS If you ever brick your cart ythen let me know as I have an unbricker here :)

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it will happen but the ability to get the bits delivered (except with amazing luck in my case) might put a hold on that, also post is still a bit flakey, I'm expecting a badge for my 130XE that was posted from Poland 10 days ago so lockdowns and post shortage are hitting us all..

I would say I'm stunned tmp has not done this but after chatting to him its pretty clear its not an option based on demand..

Is Canada a real country, I thought it was like an Acme version of the US :)

(and before anyone is insulted, I have extended family in Toronto and a place called Hamilton, both places were lovely to visit and the people smashing..)

And odd, I sent something to an AA in the states via Airmail and he got it within the week..Twas just a couple of flash drives though..

• Haha 2

I ordered 10 cable assemblies and 10 connectors but I only need 1 (maybe 2) so I'll have 8 spares. I'm happy to make all 10 cables and send them to anyone who wants one for the cost of postage. I'm not the only person offering this, there are other people who ordered shorter cables so if you are an XE user you may want to get one from them and leave my longer cables for XL users.

Anyone who wants one will still have to solder the connector and cut the case (or 3d print a new case), so even with the cable being made for free there is still a fairly small number of people who would be able to use them.

That is of course if they ever arrive from China... at this rate, maybe by Christmas. I'll ask if anyone wants them once they are made so don't spam this thread asking.

• Like 2

Just to add to this, the connector is quite small to solder to but a bit of flux and a steady hand should suffice if you have soldered before and as tmp has already noted that the cases are NOT great fun to mod, I used very sharp electrical snips to do it and a file but the plastic is not nice..

To make the opening for the  connection I just used an Stanley knife. It can be done with an exacto knife, I just marked the position with a pencil and then very carefully did both sides, and then I moved downwards by cutting little slices, like cutting pieces of cheese to eat., until I get to the desired deep. I finally use a file to the final touches. I wasn't bad, or maybe I was expecting the worst given tmp warning and I just got lucky.

I soldered the connector in the opposite side of PCB (opposite to the one shown in the pictures), so maybe that made the difference...  if you do that remember that the wires colors will be different than the pictures posted.

My AVG cart as that black plastic case. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

dremel time...

I use a dremel for this sort of thing but not the tool we all think of. I use a Dremel Versatip, its a butane torch with blades and other tips for wood burning, soldering, cutting etc. makes these sorts of jobs trivial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I use a dremel for this sort of thing but not the tool we all think of. I use a Dremel Versatip, its a butane torch with blades and other tips for wood burning, soldering, cutting etc. makes these sorts of jobs trivial.

I'd take you up on a cable if no-one is selling an all in one solution (I would still need to find a printed case and connector)

On 5/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, StickJock said:

While I tend to agree with this rule (plugs are male, sockets are female), I'll bet nobody ever called the connector on the end of an Atari joystick cable a "socket".  ?

Likewise for SIO cables....  ?

But, overall, the plug itself goes into the socket (acting as a single pin). It's still good.