IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

Atari labels them on the front of the 800 "controller jacks".

"Jack" sounds like a male term (and, in fact, the Dsub9 ports for the joysticks are male), but one of the more common uses is the headphone jack, where you plug your male "plug" into your female "jack".  Isn't language fun?

I guess "port" is a gender-neutral term.  Serial port, parallel port, USB port, etc.

8 hours ago, StickJock said:

Atari labels them on the front of the 800 "controller jacks".

"Jack" sounds like a male term (and, in fact, the Dsub9 ports for the joysticks are male), but one of the more common uses is the headphone jack, where you plug your male "plug" into your female "jack".  Isn't language fun?

I guess "port" is a gender-neutral term.  Serial port, parallel port, USB port, etc.

From working in the electronic component retail industry I was taught very early on that anything with holes is a socket and anything with pins or inserts in to a hole is a plug. The trouble is people say "where do I plug that in" and for some reason take it that the place they do that is a plug which if they gave it a second thought its clear that the item they are hold is the plug and not where its going.....

As you say, language is fun......And confusing :)  Also we have too many names for items ie headphone Jack.....its a PLUG....  :)

USB ports / plugs are not the norm as they are both sexes as it were..

Edited by Mclaneinc

The world gone wild, electrical sockets are now plugs... pandemonium, mayhem, cats are sleeping with dogs!

There's a boy named Sue (and a song about it)

Yeah, there's a girl named Jack

The world is full of confusion, but, it's possible some folks are still at the ready... to teach small children that a socket is a socket and a jack is jack...

some will still be confused and they find it's a bit whack...

but after some explanation,

reality may come back.

The truth about sockets and plugs-

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

The end of a (joystick/tablet/pen/paddle/etc) cable is a plug with female connectors...

The port on the Atari is a socket with male connectors...

not that HARD to finger out...

so it's a joystick plug, and an Atari hardware port/socket...

a Socket is an opening or hollow that forms a holder for something. In our case pins.

The trouble is that if you buy that socket for mounting on a cable it suddenly gets classed as MALE...Which it is..Same with the so called plug on the end of the j/s cable, you mount that in a case and its classed as a socket..

Its all rather silly and slightly confusing on paper / a screen but when you have the goods in front of you it seems obvious :)

Anyway, enough talk of male plugs and female sockets, its all getting a bit sexual :)

Nope, since the construct is always about the container as a whole and not the individual pieces, shall we discuss shrouding next?

ducks, rolls, runs, and takes a quick glance from around the corner... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

I've always wondered a bit.  See the pins are sure male, but the female plug, which receives the pins, is also male in that it plugs INTO the male jack, which body is female and receives the female plug.  I go by the pins.  I suppose the plugs may have their own opinion.  ?

Jeff

• Like 1

and this is why.... this is why....  no wonder it's so 'hard' to explain rs232 cables.... the simplest things are turned into never ending and twisted dance of reasoning.

heads for the nearest cliff, turns at the last second filming the lemmings flying over the edge.... phew almost... almost...

:)

female shroud, male pins

male shroud, female connector

socket is the container

plugs go into sockets.

a jack normally gets a plug.

is there smoke yet?

who's on first?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

looking good, who else want to show theirs?

Thanks! I just order a couple 3d printed of SIO connectors and I was lucky enough to have those small plastic cases I ordered long ago, that were useless for years,  to make the connections there. I need to do it since I need to extend the cable to make it long enough for 600XL and 800XL. The yellow cable was part of a Radio Shack midi cable I got to use the connector for Atari A/V cable.

So basically everything were leftovers.

I just got lucky, and I originally was making the connections "by hand" and using electric tape as always, until I found the little plastic boxes.

I have to say, that I am very very proud of the work done in the Chelco 600XL in the picture, though. I polished the acrylic, change the function keys, redid the "brushed" aluminum effect of the parts which are not buttons, did retrobright to the off-white part of the case and clean/wash  everything, including the keys one by one. I also did the hole in the case for missing the A/V connector, soldered a DIN5 , did the classic 64KB upgrade, change a cd4051 which has a line not working (some keys not working) and finally installed U1M and UAV. 

It is my new toy...  I really like it.

Edited by manterola
  • Like 3

Half way through modding mine.

It's not pretty, tmp was correct in saying the carts really are poor quality so the cut out is a bit of a bodge.

Hopefully when all this shit is over with I'll be able to buy myself a 3D printer like I was about to do when everything kicked off and the gougers doubled prices 

Edited by mimo
sp