IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

I must have screwed up my cable somehow, I can load .cas files, but not .atr files. 
Any ideas? I have the black pcb and soldered the pin header in the opposite direction and on the other side of the pcb thinking that it would work. :( 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:55 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

You're right, I forgot all about this page. It doesn't make much sense to have a separate section nowadays and I'll ask our webmaster Franck to remove it when he has time.

Keep the vapi images please, they are different, and served their purpose. The .dll still assists APE to do a better job.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I'm looking to 3D print SIO connectors for this upgrade and am wondering what people are using for the cable. Six conductor insulated wire is more expensive than I expected. Does anyone know if shielded Cat5e cable would work or have any other inexpensive recommendations?

Thanks for your help,

Greg

I made an SDrive-MAX and used cat-5 for the cable, it was very stiff, unusably so. I'd imagine it would rip itself free of the JST connector on this mod fairly quickly. Most people seem to be buying ready made JST cable assemblies and sticking an sio connector on the other end.

46 minutes ago, Awch said:

I'm looking to 3D print SIO connectors for this upgrade and am wondering what people are using for the cable. Six conductor insulated wire is more expensive than I expected. Does anyone know if shielded Cat5e cable would work or have any other inexpensive recommendations?

Thanks for your help,

Greg

I wouldn't bother shielded cable for the short run from the sio to the cart port.  Just twist the wires all together and rub a little dirt on it.

Best,

Jeff

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

I wouldn't bother shielded cable for the short run from the sio to the cart port.  Just twist the wires all together and rub a little dirt on it.

Best,

Jeff

The wires are too short to reach the SIO port and I'm also hoping to make a few full cables. Does anyone have any real suggestions?

2 hours ago, Awch said:

The wires are too short to reach the SIO port and I'm also hoping to make a few full cables. Does anyone have any real suggestions?

I use heat shrink tubing for such small cables.  You can get lengths of a couple of 18" or so from Amazon, frequently in multiple colors.  Put the wires into the tube before you finish your soldering or before you insert the pins into the SIO connector and you have a spiffy-looking cable.  You don't HAVE to heat the tubing and shrink it if you don't want to, it just makes a nice-looking jacket for the cables and protects them as a jacket should.

In this case what I would do is strip the number of wires you need from a length of flat ribbon cable (like that used for floppy connections) and lengthen the shortie cable you got from China.  Use small shrink-wrap tubing to cover the solder joints where the wires are connected, to insulate them, and then go to town with your connector, perhaps using a larger diameter shrink tube for an outer jacket for the whole cable bundle.

Best,

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
  • Like 1