IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

@Lastic and @mimo Have your parts turned up?

Just checking as I sent something to the US 2 weeks via Air Mail and its not turned up yet.....Postage world wide seemed utterly borked!

Hi Paul, I'd just picked my phone up to let you know that the unbricker has just arrived.

Many thanks.

Please let me have your PayPal address so I can pay for the postage, that was a silly amount!

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

@Lastic and @mimo Have your parts turned up?

Just checking as I sent something to the US 2 weeks via Air Mail and its not turned up yet.....Postage world wide seemed utterly borked!

Hi Paul,

Even tough we are only seperated by a sea, I guess it will show up next week, shipments from the UK usually take 3-4 working days now during the pandemic to arrive in Belgium.

Will keep you posted , thanks for your concern and have a nice weekend

12 hours ago, irich2 said:

There is also this option, Lotharek's 5-signal SIO Cable

This cable isn't an option, it only has five wires and you need six, four connected to SIO and two joined together to tell the AVGCART that the cable is plugged in.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

This cable isn't an option, it only has five wires and you need six, four connected to SIO and two joined together to tell the AVGCART that the cable is plugged in.

The latter connection could be done with a short wire directly at the plug, there should be no need to have a sixth line to the sio port. I intend to use my spare lotharek cable for that purpose.

• Like 1

Now that several folks have done the mod and are hopefully using it, a few questions:

Does this mod work with a Quintopus or other multi-SIO adapters (or does the cable need to go directly to the SIO port on the computer?)

Can you create (or delete) an ATR from the Atari, or just load and modify the contents of an existing ATR?

Overall, how would the ATR functionality compare to the SIO2SD or S-Drives?

And maybe an unfair comparison, but how would the functionality compare with APE or RespeQt (for ATR's)?

Larry, can't answer the first one although I did order a SIO splitter (lovely kit) on the idea of use the SD-Max and the cart at the same time but since then improvements have been made that mean I didn't need to try the pair together. I guess it depends what the adapters are doing, are they straight through or controlling the SIO ports?

You can boot DOS up and if the files on D2: I see no reason why that will not work as normal.

The ATR and ATX workings are on going but I've thrown every thing at the cart and when in SIO mode (shift held down) it loads everything that that computer should.

I don't use APE or RespeQt but based on loading stuff it performs perfectly inc HSIO (as long as you have apatched OS), other features I'm not aware of on those bits of software.

Its also plays very nicely with my SYScheck which I use for multiple OS's and the extra RAM. Sorry about not knowing much about APE etc, I'm not much of a utility person, just a gamer at heart.

Take all this under the basis that the firmware is constantly in revision, there's some excellent new features which are appearing as and when tmp has time. I can just say that the cart as it stands it amazing. The only thing that does not work (yet) is multiple ATX booting, with the atr's you can select them with the tab key and number what disk order you want them and swap the disk with the right button, keeping pressing the button cycles through the disks you chose. At the moment you can't do that with ATX files.

The cable mod is a game changer to what is already one of the best carts out there.

Edited by Mclaneinc
spelling as per usual...Education, really should have had some.

OK what am I doing wrong? I'm trying to set up an SD card with an apt partition and a FAT32 partition. I've done this previously on my 1088XEL XEL-CFIII using the U1mb and built in SDX but I'm trying to do this on an 800XL using just the AVGCART.

I formatted an SD card, put the latest firmware files on it, added the SDX and Side loader from here https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/avg/, booted, pressed Shift+Ctrl+S to turn on side mode, ran s2sdx and tried fdisk at which point I discover no fdisk.

Get fdisk.com from the latest toolkit.adf and put it on the sd card. Back to the atari boot up the AVGCART select s2loader and run fdisk. Try to open the disk I get a "no APT device" error message.

Where am I going wrong? I'm expecting to load fdisk into memory, trash the SD card when I create a APT and FAT partiton and then put files back on the fat partition again. Fdisk just doesn't seem to know the disk is there, even though I loaded fdisk from the disk.

1. shift-ctrl-s enables automatic side mode on powerup (basically equivalent to holding right button), its only use is if you have u1mb installed and you prefer to boot to internal sdx or autorun side loader (from u1mb) instead of going to avgcart menu

in this scenario, don't use it, just run s2sdx.car, it will enable side emulation automatically

2. sdx supports only fat16 partitions so if you plan to run anything from sd card (e.g. fdisk, via side emulation), use that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmp said:

1. shift-ctrl-s enables automatic side mode on powerup (basically equivalent to holding right button), its only use is if you have u1mb installed and you prefer to boot to internal sdx or autorun side loader (from u1mb) instead of going to avgcart menu

in this scenario, don't use it, just run s2sdx.car, it will enable side emulation automatically

2. sdx supports only fat16 partitions so if you plan to run anything from sd card (e.g. fdisk, via side emulation), use that

I enabled cart mode more as a double safety measure than anything, I was booting, hitting the right button and then reset to get to the cart menu and running sdx so enabling/disabling/enabling again. it was unnecessary but it made sure ide mode was enabled. SDX couldn't see the fdisk.com on the disk because its fat32 (that was expected) but fdisk isn't on the car: device either. Running the s2loader (boot->right button->reset->s2loader->fdisk.com) or (boot->right button->reset->s2sdx->"car"->fdisk.com) both of which were enabling ide mode when launched, whether I'd enabled it with shift+ctrl+s or not, allowed me to see the disk and launch fdisk but fdisk then says it couldn't see the apt device. on the XEL if I run fdisk I can see the CF device even if it contains only a fat32 partition, if i wanted I could then initialise the CF device to create the apt partition, that's how I set up my XEL. On the AVG it's saying no device at all. I think maybe @flashjazzcat is disabling fdisk from performing any actions on the device it's run from or something like that.

1 hour ago, Roydea6 said:

@mrrobot do you have a link to this cable & does it come with the piece that gets soldered to the cart pcb.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000588613081.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.20164c4dVqHhDg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33051405214.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.20164c4dVqHhDg

the connectors come 20 per lot so I ordered 2 lots of the cable assy's to match.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I enabled cart mode more as a double safety measure than anything, I was booting, hitting the right button and then reset to get to the cart menu and running sdx so enabling/disabling/enabling again. it was unnecessary but it made sure ide mode was enabled. SDX couldn't see the fdisk.com on the disk because its fat32 but fdisk isn't on car: either. Running the s2loader (boot->right button->reset->s2loader->fdisk.com) or (boot->right button->reset->s2sdx->"car"->fdisk.com) both of which were enabling ide mode when launched, whether I'd enabled it with shift+ctrl+s or not, allowed me to see the disk and launch fdisk but fdisk then says it couldn't see the apt device. not apt partition, apt device. on the XEL if I run fdisk I can see the CF device even if it contains only a fat32 partition, if i wanted I could then initialise the CF device to create the apt partition, on the AVG it's saying no device at all. I think maybe @flashjazzcat is disabling fdisk from performing any actions on the device it's run from or something like that.

i just downloaded latest s2sdx3.car from fjc's site and fdisk seems to be included on CAR:

running fdisk from s2loader3.car doesn't work because it most likely uses some api to enumerate devices that is provided by sdx (just a speculation, fjc will clarify)

OK so I've no idea what version of s2sdx I was trying. I could have sworn it was the one from jons site but I just grabbed that and it does indeed contain fdisk.

trying to run it gives me a memlo to high error

Yeah I just disabled PBI on my XEL, enabled carts, booted the AVG ran s2sdx3 ran fdisk, initialized, partitioned and created 16x65535 partitions and wrote the disk. It all worked perfectly as expected.

So no partitioning your AVGCart disk unless you have a memory expansion. Should I be able to do it with a stock 130XE?

That limits the usefulness of the side emulation to just the s2loader for a stock XL if you have no other machine to set it up on.

i hexedited the s2dx3.car to change config.sys (in my usual "i have no idea what i'm doing but let's try and see" fashion), it now seems to load fdisk on stock 64kb but i haven't tried to go through the whole partitioning procedure

let me know whether that works and also don't use it for anything else but running fdisk (on stock machines)

s2sdx3_fdisk.zip

Edited by tmp
  • Like 4