IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

If the SIO cable is not attached it won't show any ATX files, I don't know how it checks the cable to know ie a partly wired cable may show as being attached but not work.

As for ATR's, I tested loads at the time but never made lists of them however if you can be bothered to read through this thread from the start there was a chunk of people reporting what atr's worked and what didn't. Sorry wish I could help more but Serena has just moved in to Uni halls and I have the task of bring her needed items, thankfully she's also in London..

Also remember that one of the AVG pcb's has the connector going the opposite way (the black one I think)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mimo said:

This is probably a silly question but I am trying to be sure that my AVG2SIO cable is working correctly, am I right in thinking that atx files would not load if the cable is not working correctly?
Can someone point me to any .atr images that will not load without the cable?

Ta

Stunt Car Racer ... I guess that one should not work without cable

5 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Also remember that one of the AVG pcb's has the connector going the opposite way (the black one I think)

this is not correct, the photo was just showing two possible ways to mount a connector on any pcb (the one you are talking about was if you didn't want to cut a hole into the shell)

Just now, tmp said:

this is not correct, the photo was just showing two possible ways to mount a connector on any pcb (the one you are talking about was if you didn't want to cut a hole into the shell)

Ah, my apologies, I got it in to my head one board was different..

It's that photo that has me confused, I mounted mine facing out on the other side of the PCB.

I've made the cable for someone else so want to be sure it's right before posting.

Thanks team AVG, I'll have a go later 

put (or rename) ATX or CAS file on the card, if you can see it, the cable is detected and should use sio for atr loading (unless started using shift-return)

also when atr is being loaded via sio, you should hear standard beeps from speakers

Edited by tmp

Woke up at 5am today with this on my mind 

Cart was showing all files if the sio lead was connected or not.

Stripped cart down to check my soldering, no shorts detected and had continuity from solder pads to pins on the header, gave it all a quick wipe over with isopropyl.

No change in behaviour, no sio sounds when loading an atr (Cassettes loaded ok with sio sound, ATX loaded ok with sio sound)

I then re-flashed (if that is the right word) the firmware, I had been using a version of 020 with an older date than the one currently on tmp's site.

Result!, Don't know if the previous version was borked or something happened to it , but I'm a happy camper (and knackered)

Thanks all for your help

IMG_20201008_071152.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tmp said:

after making twenty-something cables, i hate myself for coming up with that idea

avgsio_cables.jpg

Oh, I bought one cable from Mr. Robot and will also buy one or more from you - in case they do not sell. But I guess they will all sell pretty fast... (hopefully they are long enough for 600XL/800XL/1200XL computers).

By the way, did you ever think about...

errmm, creating new AVG pcb's that fit into Sikor's cart. cases ?!?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Oh, I bought one cable from Mr. Robot and will also buy one or more from you - in case they do not sell. But I guess they will all sell pretty fast...

frankly, i'd be happy if they lasted me for years because that'd mean people just make their own cables and i don't have to make any more ;-)

(hopefully they are long enough for 600XL/800XL/1200XL computers).

1200xl is a problem since it needs a sharp 90deg bend right at the jst connector due to cart tunnel, it can be done but this batch has heatshrink tube supporting the connector for easier insertion so it can't be bent that close to connector (but is even anyone using avgcart in 1200xl?)

sure i did, back in february or so

my current conclusions are

pros:

- the lid on 400/800 can be closed, fits into 1200xl even without the alternative 3d printed shell

cons:

- that shell was made 5mm taller than the xegs original meaning no buttons/card sticking above the top of the shell if you want to close the lid (with shield)

- would need a separate firmware build

- too expensive unless i get at least 101pcs

neutral:

- most likely micro sd cards would have to be used

i still don't understand the 800 use case fully, if you want to close your lid, opening it will turn off the atari (i'm assuming most don't have that switch overridden) so you effectively have no access to cart buttons

i'm still open to ideas but that 5mm thing broke the deal for me back then

• Like 1

no idea, i'll survey a few people to figure out something not too low (so people who are capable of building one will do that) and not too high (it's just a stupid cable after all) and hopefully figure out something (anyone who has a opinion about a fair price, let me know)

• Like 1

The only thing that put me off the cable was the very possible long delivery time from China what with COVID shutting everything down but somehow I got the cable parts in 2 weeks while others had to wait months..(don't worry, I wasn't so fortunate with my set of soldering tools from them, months they took..

As for the cable and cart combo, brilliant thinking by tmp, we thank you very much for the pain in the ass cable :). For those not wanting the cable hassle you can buy from tmp here when he decides the price (I'd imagine it will be a 'while stocks last' deal) or have a think about the excellent looking SIDE B, sorry 3, that and a U1MB are a fantastic combination. But I'm over the moon with my AVG and the U1mb, my two favourite upgrades I've had..

I'm keen to see how Jon expands on the Side 3 over the months (which translates to I aint got the money for one :) )

4 hours ago, tmp said:

sure i did, back in february or so

Fantastic news!
I will buy AVGCart in a new case. But I prefer to add some additional SIO cable myself.

5 hours ago, tmp said:

i'm still open to ideas but that 5mm thing broke the deal for me back then

It's  no big problem, I think. I allowed myself to make info-graphics:
- red: position in accordance with the 1200XL and each XL / XE, at the top of the housing
- green color - location on the front of the housing, compatible with Atari 400/800 and each XL / XE
- yellow color - at the top or front of the housing, low microswitch is flush with the housing
Another thing - a switch and a cable for the A400 / 800 flap - I recommend a small hole from the edge of the A400 / A800 flap that will be released (a small dremel or a small drill bit the width of the cable). Additionally - by adding two cores of the cable, the switch to the AVG-cart can be placed on the SIO plug.
As for 100+ units - I will give you this price for 51 cases, provided that one AVG cart is for me (paid, at cost plus shipping).
Sorry for google translate but my english is bad.

avg_cart.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larek said:

Fantastic news!
I will buy AVGCart in a new case. But I prefer to add some additional SIO cable myself.

erm, i basically said i didn't think it was worth pursuing because while it would fix some issues*, it would most likely create new (recessed buttons, micro sd card that is flush with the shell and pain to remove, ...)

*fun fact, there was at least one guy that on multiple occasions claimed he'd never buy avgcart because his 800 lid wouldn't close and he would never be happy with that, he said he would rather wait for cart B to come out (which was weird because my educated guess was that cart B wouldn't be any better in this regard)

so he preordered cart B and later when it was finally revealed that he won't closing his lid, he was suddenly like "no big deal"

roughly at that time i stopped believing that 800's lid is really a huge problem that needs a fix

Edited by tmp
typo
  • Like 1