IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

11 hours ago, tmp said:

side3_avgcart.jpg

AVG, cart with amazing features, really could use some esthetically updates. Side loader is milestones ahead when it comes to User Interface and looks.

I never scroll through windows, but simply type a keyword or part of that, so I don't care for screens with more titles listed. Search facility on Side loader is really fast. On a cf or sd card with thousands of titles 24 lines is still not much...

Why did you post that comparison?

• Like 2

About the 800 not closing... BITD, I used a corn dog stick. Perfect thickness!

Now a question about the screen shots.  I noticed that the SAGA "Adventureland" is shown, and appears twice on each screen. Were these versions patched so that images didn't need swapping (maybe an XEX file?) or is there a non-destructive way to load the second side?

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I noticed that the SAGA "Adventureland" is shown, and appears twice on each screen. Were these versions patched so that images didn't need swapping (maybe an XEX file?) or is there a non-destructive way to load the second side?

The top entry is an XEX. The lower entry contains ATRs (sides A and B). With SIDE3/U1MB, the second image can be swapped with the first via the ATR swap button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marius said:

AVG, cart with amazing features, really could use some esthetically updates. Side loader is milestones ahead when it comes to User Interface and looks.

I never scroll through windows, but simply type a keyword or part of that, so I don't care for screens with more titles listed. Search facility on Side loader is really fast. On a cf or sd card with thousands of titles 24 lines is still not much...

Why did you post that comparison?

My guess...

AVG* cart. simple screen display...

pro: displays more titles, displays more chars. of the full title name (afair does not scroll)

con: looks extremely simple (cheap, antique like a typewriter...)

* has a search function; black text on white background (some prefer that-readability);

SIDEB* cart. prof. screen display:

pro: looks very good/professional (eye-catcher)

con: displays less titles, displays less chars. of the full title name (think it scrolls?)

* has a search function; white text on black background (some prefer that-readability);

My subjective opinion: If you know the contents of your card and simply type a keyword or part of that, then the number of titles on the card or the length of the title (chars. displayed) for sure does not matter. But, errrm, let's say you just copied someone else's card or downloaded thousands of titles from the internet (or e.g. hundreds of AVF movies and PDM soundfiles) and do not know the content and therefore want to scroll through the contents, then a display with more titiles or more chars for the title name is maybe better- isn't it ?!?

On the other hand, after a while you surely know (or partially know) what's on your card, but as someone once said, to be able to successfully search for something, you already have to know what you are searching (part of the name, etc.). I am not sure if the search function of the AVG or SIDEB cart. is case sensitive or not, if it accepts SAGA as well as S.A.G.A., etc. so you may have to type in search strings precisely.

(That's something I quite often fail at atarimania's search function and therefore have to search manually by going through all titles under a certain letter, especially if I do not know if a title is one word or two words, two words with hyphen or two words with space, a title with the article "the" or without article, etc. - and if one of these things is wrong, then I get zero results...)

What is handy is that if you use Side AND AVG then they are very similar at what they do and how they do it so there's little chance of confusion..

Both use clever and thoughtful features and both are in constant development..Win Win for both all around..Deffo a win for us users..

I've been using the SIDE loader for five years now, more or less every day, but I also wrote the front end for the Ultimate Cart, which displays about twice as many filenames per screen. Nothing about twenty filenames vs. ten makes me want to reach for the Ultimate Cart, since - despite displaying half the number of filenames per page - the SIDE and SIDE3 loaders feel twice as usable as the Ultimate Cart loader, to me at least. While it's perfectly reasonable that some users may prefer one method of presentation over the other, more often than not, the number of filenames per page in the SIDE loader seems to be a wedge issue wheeled out when there is nothing else of substance to complain about.

As I've said before: there is a difference between a user interface and a list. If your application has no menus, and thus no need to navigate between said menus, does not display information such as the path to the current directory, a status line, etc, your UI can quite literally be a list. You can devote the entire display to data because there is nothing else to display.

Of course, I can only speculate that all this is the reason for tmp's photo collage until he replies to my PM. I'm a little puzzled, since the SIDE loader which runs on his own hardware has the exact same UI as the SIDE3 loader, and yet he suddenly felt inspired to present a comparison hours after I uploaded a video describing how to use SIDE3. I'm not aware of anything in the content of the video which invited focus on how many filenames one's loader displays per page (unless simply demonstrating the functionality of the SIDE3 cartridge was a catalyst in itself), but there is a comment under the video which may have resulted in sudden excited invocation of the screenshot function. :D Of course, such comparisons - once invited - can easily backfire for other reasons.

Edited by flashjazzcat
typo

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Of course, I can only speculate that all this is the reason for tmp's photo collage until he replies to my PM. I'm a little puzzled, since the SIDE loader which runs on his own hardware has the exact same UI as the SIDE3 loader, and yet he suddenly felt inspired to present a comparison hours after I uploaded a video describing how to use SIDE3.

Maybe Mr. Robot is right and tmp only wanted to show that the SIDE3 loader also works on the AVG cart ?!?

As you've already said, both AVG and SIDE-3 carts are so good, there is nothing of substance to complain about.

6 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Maybe Mr. Robot is right and tmp only wanted to show that the SIDE3 loader also works on the AVG cart ?!?

Doubtful, since the SIDE3 loader doesn't work on the AVG cart.

6 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

As you've already said, both AVG and SIDE-3 carts are so good, there is nothing of substance to complain about.

Absolutely! Two great products and I have nothing but admiration for what tmp has accomplished.

2 hours ago, gs80065xe said:

Can the AVG cart be bypassed at boot in favor of booting from disk? Just curious. I'm looking for ways to minimize wear and tear on 30+ year old hardware. And I worry removing cartridges will eventually cause a mechanical failure.

Yes. Press Esc .. AVG cart also allows you to force Cold Reset, so you can give the power switch some rest.