IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

48 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

You go here https://miscretro.com/

Get the SIO cable as well. 

Is there no one selling these in the U.S.? I know Marlin sells Ultimate Carts through his Brewing Academy. I thought that Gavin was selling AVG Cart through his Vintage Computer Center, but I can't seem to find them on his site. I could've sworn there was someone selling them on this side of the pond, but now that I look, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Edited by bfollowell

No there isn't. There is a UK distributor (retrolemon) and direct from miscretro

Postage from miscretro usually only takes a couple of weeks, I don't know what kinds of sacrifices have to be made to the postage gods to achieve that!

tmp/avg/misc (someone _really_ likes an understated name!)

6 hours ago, manterola said:

Why the SIO cable connects to the MTRCTL signal, but then still you need to press a button for the . CAS to be "played"? 

where is this info coming from? there's no need to press a button (if we're talking about buttons on the cart)

53 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

No there isn't. There is a UK distributor (retrolemon) and direct from miscretro

Postage from miscretro usually only takes a couple of weeks, I don't know what kinds of sacrifices have to be made to the postage gods to achieve that!

Yes, these are available from my store: https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-storage-devices/125-avgcart.html and https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-accessories/127-sio-cable-for-avgcart.html. Postage to US usually takes about a week.

I don't think people understand that pressing a key on the Atari to start the load has always been how it's done... it's no different with any emulation device... you set up the tape to skip some of the leader on the tape itself and press play... then you use the applicable tape loading method as listed on the software... the Atari will make the sound and wait for you to smack a key... I always chose the return key or space bar... then the dual tone symphony starts...

• Like 1

1405847238_ScreenShot2021-10-26at08_22_55.thumb.png.b3dce71e44e837752153b3cfa1817ff6.png

Is it the RETURN at the end? That's just how Atari's load tapes.

Without BASIC* = Insert/Position cassette, Hold START+OPTION while powering on, wait for the tapefart noise, press Play on tape, press Return.

With BASIC = Insert/Position cassette, Hold START while powering on, wait for the tapefart noise, press Play on tape, press Return.

- or -

Insert/Position cassette, Power on and wait for the READY prompt, type load command* and press Return, wait for the tapefart noise, press Play on tape, press Return. When it's finished type RUN and press Return.

*Load command may be CLOAD, LOAD "C:", ENTER "C:" or RUN "C:" depending on how the file was saved, see the instructions for the Cassette.

You don't need to type RUN if you had to type RUN "C:"

*400/800 users remove BASIC cart instead of holding OPTION for a without BASIC load.

How to position the tape to a counter position and how to boot the Atari to BASIC after inserting a tape without starting the load process for CLOAD tapes, these are the questions I'd like to know about CAS loading. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

How to position the tape to a counter position

no positioning is possible (and isn't needed for single game/program cas files)

23 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

and how to boot the Atari to BASIC after inserting a tape without starting the load process for CLOAD tapes, these are the questions I'd like to know about CAS loading.

you just run cas, you should end up in basic if you're not holding start, from there you can CLOAD (that's at least the theory, i doubt anyone tried)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tmp said:

where is this info coming from? there's no need to press a button (if we're talking about buttons on the cart)

I have been wondering the same this whole morning...Where did I get that I need to press a button?

You are (of course) totally right, no AvgCart button press to start the cassette as the MTRCTRL signal is used for that purpose.

Edited by manterola

31 minutes ago, tmp said:
59 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

How to position the tape to a counter position

There is a case in which reposition the virtual cassette is useful and maybe can be incorporated in next firmware update:

There are some CAS that have the "recovering from error" feature. This feature works as follows:

1.-Once there is a problem the MTRCTL signal stops the cassette player.

2.-At the same time you get a message on the screen directing you to rewind the tape a few counter counts.

3.-So you press rewind for about 1 or 2 seconds.

4.-Then press play in the cassette player and the appropriate key in the computer (depending on the cassette: any key, return, or Start). 

I tried to implement a small prototype that on FujiNet, by stoping the bitstream and moving 3 or 4 blocks behind in the CAS file and then waiting for the MTRCTL signal again to keep going. It worked, by the way.

Just my $0.02

40 minutes ago, tmp said:

Yep but these sorts of tapes exist... :D 

Cassette_50.zip

SIDE A
000-068 = Maze Eater
068-097 = Galactic Attack
097-132 = Space Mission
132-174 = Lunar Landing
174-209 = Plasma Bolt
209-283 = Star Trek
283-320 = Radar Lander
320-355 = Attacker
355-381 = Defend the Fortress
381-425 = Zion Attack
425-435 = Ivasive Action (sic)
435-533 = Noughts and Crosses
533-561 = Boggles
561-626 = Pontoon
626-644 = Ski Jump
644-656 = Maths Hop!
656-681 = Old Bones
681-733 = Baby Chase!
733-763 = Orbitter
763-832 = Motorway
832-903 = Rabbit Raid
903-942 = Nim
942-965 = Tunnel Escape
965-987 = Barrel Jump!

SIDE B
000-015 = Cannon Ball Battle
015-052 = Overtake
052-081 = Sitting Target
081-116 = Smash the Windows
116-132 = Space Ship
132-146 = Jet Fighter
146-181 = Phaser
181-207 = Intruder!
207-236 = Inferno!
236-260 = Ghosts
260-291 = Sea Alert
291-307 = Planets
307-333 = Rocket Launch
333-371 = The Black Hole
371-384 = Dynamite
384-392 = Do Your Sums
392-423 = Derby Dash
423-457 = Space Search
457-481 = Universe
481-502 = Rats
502-532 = Tanker
532-554 = Parachute
554-582 = Jetmobile!
582-609 = High Rise
609-639 = The Force
639-731 = Exchange

40 minutes ago, tmp said:

you just run cas, you should end up in basic if you're not holding start, from there you can CLOAD (that's at least the theory, i doubt anyone tried)

Must say I've never tried, it's one of those "I wish we could, but I'm never going to do it if I can" kind of things. 

SIOAUD is one thing I'd like, I'm still trying to find a way to run @JAC!'s Badapple demo without a real cassette player. I think probably the best shot is going to be fujinet, it has the required lines but its not implemented yet. @xxl made a good point asking about the ECI audio line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmp said:

and how to boot the Atari to BASIC after inserting a tape without starting the load process for CLOAD tapes, these are the questions I'd like to know about CAS loading.

I just tried to do that and it works: Select the .cas, let the computer boot to Basic (don't press Start and don't press Option). Then type CLOAD , and finally RUN to play the game.

uxbminas.cas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

De Re AVGCART updated with the bit about running cas files without start, also added the 0021 changes including the stacking SDX cart thing. 

I would like to suggest the addition of a picture in the SIO Connector section: one showing the connector "connected" to the cart without case. The reason is that there is a great picture showing the SIO connector without case with the different colored cables entering to each pin, and then several ones showing the other end: the JST disconnected with the color order (red, black, yellow, green, blue, white). But we never see that JST connector plugged in the AVGCart PCB, in order to know the right order or colors in the PCB. 

For example, I installed the JST receptacle in the other side of the PCB (there are actually 4 different ways to install that receptacle) and I had a hard confusing time trying to know the order or the cables in the PCB.

So a picture of the SIO connector installed in the AVGCart without the cart case will clarify any doubts.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tmp said:

sounds like something was wrong with that _AVGCART\HSIO file (weird), if that ever happens again, try to delete just that file

In the end it seems that the SD card was corrupted. After loading a file three times in a row every file refused to work when loading for the fourth time until I removed the card put into a PC and put it back into the AVGCART again. Now that I replaced it with a different sd card files can be loaded as often as possible. I couldn't get atr files to load with shift return though (OSXEX2 is on the card).

58 minutes ago, manterola said:

I would like to suggest the addition of a picture in the SIO Connector section: one showing the connector "connected" to the cart without case. The reason is that there is a great picture showing the SIO connector without case with the different colored cables entering to each pin, and then several ones showing the other end: the JST disconnected with the color order (red, black, yellow, green, blue, white). But we never see that JST connector plugged in the AVGCart PCB, in order to know the right order or colors in the PCB. 

For example, I installed the JST receptacle in the other side of the PCB (there are actually 4 different ways to install that receptacle) and I had a hard confusing time trying to know the order or the cables in the PCB.

So a picture of the SIO connector installed in the AVGCart without the cart case will clarify any doubts.

Done

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I ordered and received my AVG Card a couple of days ago.

I performed some tests loading .BIN, XEX and CAR files.

I wasn't disapointed with the abilities of the card, especially when loading .cas files (which was a pain in the ass with the SDRIVE Max, unless I still use an outdated firmware?). This time I succeeded in loading 100% of the .cas files I tested, until I had to face a special case : Once a .cas file was finished loading the program asked me to insert tape 2 in the tape player ! I then realized I don't know how to switch back to the AVF Card menu to select another tape without resetting the computer, nor how to "stack" a list of .cas to be played.

This is a very nice addition to the AVG CART, but wouldn't this be functionally the same as using it with the SYS-CHECK ram/OS or Freezer modules?  (Except there are no additional OS/diagnostic features using the cart.)  Might be less expensive, though, unless it requires buying a new cart if you already own one.  Not trying to rain on your parade -- but I think it's a reasonable question.

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

This is a very nice addition to the AVG CART, but wouldn't this be functionally the same as using it with the SYS-CHECK ram/OS or Freezer modules?  (Except there are no additional OS/diagnostic features using the cart.)  Might be less expensive, though, unless it requires buying a new cart if you already own one.  Not trying to rain on your parade -- but I think it's a reasonable question.

it's an option, of course if you already have expanded memory by any other means (internal/external), you don't need it (most likely you can't even use it since there's gonna be conflicts)

• 1 month later...

new beta - ab24, please report what i broke

- selected files (ATR, CAS, CAR) don't have to be in the same directory anymore, selection is cleared only after returning to the selector

- added ability to select (TAB) CAR files

- ENTER on ATR/CAS/CAR file will replace the selection so SPACE was added to run with selected files, ignoring current file under cursor

- search now allows navigation during searching and editing search string

- CTRL-L disables item shortcuts and allows starting search by typing instead of '/'

- ESC stops search, exiting search requires 2x ESC (to prevent accidental exit when search stops at the same time user tries to stop it)

- disable cart was changed to SHIFT-ESC

- short filenames should finally (hopefully) have proper case

- filenames longer than screen width should be (finally) properly sorted

there was also a stable release (0023) last week but that's interesting only for people with eci cable (and ab24 supersedes it)

====

- [ECI] Auto-enable cart menu after reset (CTRL-SHIFT-E to enable, CTRL-E to disable)

- [ECI] Patched OS for ATR emulation is forced as ROM, not just loaded into RAM under ROM, increases compatibility

- [ECI+SIO] When emulating ATR, HSIO patched OS with inverted OPTION (BASIC off) is forced (when HSIO is enabled)

0022 (internal)

====

- [ECI] EXTMEM support up to 512kB (CTRL-SHIFT-M to enable, CTRL-M to disable)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3