IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

From what I gather both carts work very well for cartdrige images and XEX files.

SIDE 3 together with a U1MB extends this to all types of disk images and both are a perfect match. With U1MB's PBI-BIOS you have transparent high-speed SIO and can use hard disk images as well. And Jon's UI is really outstanding.

On the other hand without a U1MB, SIDE 3 has a lower compatibilty in loading ATR images because it always needs an on-the-fly patched OS to load them.

AVG without any of its "extension cables" works pretty much the same: cartdriges and XEXs are good but low compatibility with ATRs.

Paired with its cables it shines.

I own an AVG with the SIO cable and since then rarely use my SIO2SD oder SDriveMax because my AVG is always plugged into my Atari. It loads every ATR or ATX I feed it without any problems because they load through SIO just like with any real disk drive. Only high-speed SIO depends on an OS which supports it and thus lessens its compatibilty compared to the pair SIDE3+U1MB.

If you add an PBI/ECI cable you even have a 512KB RAM extension and from what I gather, it can also use a PBI-BIOS and its high-speed SIO features.

You pretty much nailed it. The AVG with its cables can move from machine to machine and none of the components are soldered. 

16 hours ago, mimo said:

It depends what you want from a cartridge, but I would say that AVG or Side 3 are the best options at the moment

I use ide plus (rev.d for rapidus) with the side#1 .

From side also ide plus is not possible to load overmind, totaldase and etc. (for sio especially).

But from AVG is working like from sio2sd :)

Edited by as...

Also received a few days ago, it's really great to enjoy games requiring more than 128KB on a stock machine.

Something strange is happening to me, I have one of my 130XE which does not respond well when I do the key combinations for

the AVGCART settings, I have to investigate further by testing on another 130XE. Otherwise on one of my 800XL it works very well!

The AVGCART, the ultimate cartridge to have absolutely!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Atari_bbs_fan said:

Hey TMP,

With the new design using an easier-to-source FPGA, does this get you a bigger FPGA with more resources to do more things  Putting it another way, will this new board obsolete our previous AVG carts?

my current plan is to keep feature parity for both revisions

• Like 6

5 hours ago, tmp said:

hell, and I was counting on an external Covox or AY / YM with the AudioIN output connected or at least a mathematical operations coprocessor

:D ?

22 hours ago, tmp said:

Hi TMP,

would you consider designing the pcb to fit into a standard XE cartridge shell? to fit better inside an ATARI 1200XL or ATARI 800?

Nir

10 minutes ago, ndary said:

Hi TMP,

would you consider designing the pcb to fit into a standard XE cartridge shell? to fit better inside an ATARI 1200XL or ATARI 800?

Nir

afaik there's only one such shell on the market (sikor's) but that one is too tall (it was made 5mm taller than the original xegs shell) so it doesn't solve the 800 cover issue

1200xl is rare and its narrow cart tunnel can be workarounded by using extender, filing the existing shell or 3d printing a new one

so basically there's no incentive

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is there a current list of banking types supported?  I suspect that the one at the beginning of this thread is no longer valid.  The up-to-date list would be nice to include in the DeRe AVGCART.  I'd like to put Turbo Basic XL on my cartridge, and be able to boot with MyDos.  I found a several rom images, including one that supposedly works in the SIC cart.  But it just goes to a black screen and locks up (latest cart firmware).  I'd even be happy with an XEX loaded image, but that goes to the splash screen and locks up.  Perhaps it fails when placing the new data under the OS rom?  I was able to put Frost Basic in an Atarimax cart (years ago), but never got anywhere with TBXL. 

Anyone had any luck with TBXL? 

the list linked in the first post is mostly up-to-date, can you please attach the files you're talking about so it's possible to check them?

generally for random files from internet, it's good to check them first in altirra whether they're even working, when it comes to ROM files, they need to be converted to CAR (again altirra can be used, saving them after verifying they work with chosen cart type)

• Thanks 1