IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

@Xuel has patched Yie Another Kung Fu to work with Altirra's Current model for emulating the Corina cartridge.

As a fallback, maybe the patched version would be easier to get running on the AVG cart (no patched version for Bomb Jake yet, though).

i believe he fixed a display issue, that has no influence on corina emulation

i saw somewhere in the old threads a post by phaeron saying he fixed eeprom emulation issue in altirra that was making bomb jake not start all the time which would imply that it needs eeprom for proper working (what does it do with it anyway? store high score table?)

17 minutes ago, tmp said:

i believe he fixed a display issue, that has no influence on corina emulation

My point is that Altirra and Atari++ are emulating Corina differently; because the cart worked perfectly fine in Atari++ as is, but needed patching in order to run in Altirra. 

17 minutes ago, tmp said:

i saw somewhere in the old threads a post by phaeron saying he fixed eeprom emulation issue in altirra that was making bomb jake not start all the time which would imply that it needs eeprom for proper working (what does it do with it anyway? store high score table?)

It's 8K for high-score saves.

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

My point is that Altirra and Atari++ are emulating Corina differently; because the cart worked perfectly fine in Atari++ as is, but needed patching in order to run in Altirra. 

A little nit pick, Atari++ needed to be altered to run the game whereas Altirra attempts to run as an Atari should, so this says the game runs out of the bounds of how an Atari works, it wasn't working "as is" in Atari++.

Do I want the game to work, yes of course I do but not where an emulator needs to be hacked to run abnormally to make it work as I fear the hack could cause issues with already working stuff under normal parameters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

A little nit pick, Atari++ needed to be altered to run the game whereas Altirra attempts to run as an Atari should, so this says the game runs out of the bounds of how an Atari works, it wasn't working "as is" in Atari++.

I'm not speaking anything against Altirra. I don't know what specific alterations were made to Atari++; but Corina is more than just the original cartridge ROM that we have at hand; so, the additional hardware of Corina is part of the equation. I also don't understand why the original ROM's (Bomb Jake is included here too) have these quirks that @phaeron pointed out, which would prevent them running on standard hardware. I do know that a Corina cart with the original ROM's can run on an unaltered 64K machine. So that's my only interest in attempting to help @tmp: to see if he might be able to come up with something capable of running the original or patched ROM's in the simplest manner possible, which also targets an unaltered 64K machine. I have no preference for one or the other method in terms of the emulation (Atari++ or Altirra), as long as it can get the job done. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2010 at 2:19 AM, phaeron said:

Can anyone confirm that these are final images or that they work on real hardware?

I don't think @phaeron's, question (from @Mr Robot's link above) was ever answered; and thus why Altirra support for Corina remained in the state that it's currently in -- which is totally understandable.

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm not speaking anything against Altirra.

Yup, I know that..

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

I have no preference for one or the other method in terms of the emulation (Atari++ or Altirra), as long as it can get the job done. 

Same here, just saying I would hate to think that a hack to make something work may affect the experience of other items.

At the end of the day, it's all down to Avery, we are just loyal users of the emulators..

25 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Same here, just saying I would hate to think that a hack to make something work may affect the experience of other items.

@phaeron's position is "lack of information"... so, there's really nothing he can do beyond what he's already done. I'm not suggesting he should either. This is all about what might be possible with the AVG cart to support the format in a manner that works; otherwise there's no sense in implementing anything at all. I'm just providing what information I can. The rest is up to @tmp.

• Like 1

I try to get HSIO running with my AVGCART (latest firmware: 0021) and SIO cable with U1MB. In U1MB I enabled pbibios (id: 6), set SIO driver to: HSIO, SIO devices: D1-D4 and enabled SIO driver D1.

When I am loading an ATR file with SIO2SD it is twice as fast as the same ATR loading from AVGCART.

Shift-Ctrl-h didn't help. Do I have to copy anything to the folder _AVGCART?

what divisor did you set in avgcart? (smaller is faster so 0 is the fastest)

not sure about the u1mb settings, i can't check since i don't have it installed, i'll try to find some screenshots to refresh my memory what should and shouldn't be enabled for it to work

40 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Divisor is set to 0. I have a folder called _AVGCART in the root directory of my sd card. When I look at it on a PC I can see a single file called HSIO in it.

that's ok, that's a setting file

40 minutes ago, patjomki said:

And what about OSXEX2? As I am using a SIO cable with AVGCART I think that it is not necessary to have it on my sd card, right?

yes, you don't need that for sio communcation, it will be used if you run atr via shift-return (when sio cable is connected)

26 minutes ago, patjomki said:

With U1MB, an unpatched XL OS 1.3 and an external SIO2SD HSIO is running fine but not with AVGCART.

sdrive does some pokey divisor management by itself, not sure whether sio2sd does the same, try to disable hsio in u1mb to see whether that sio2sd speedup is coming from u1mb (so we can confirm os hsio is really working)

18 hours ago, patjomki said:

Keep you informed.

Update:

I just reformatted my sd card with FAT32 put all the files onto it from the latest firmware release and let AVGCART create a folder _AVGCART (with Shift-Ctrl-H) and divisor 0.

Now AVGCART loads atr files twice as fast as my sio2sd which means it is now four(!) times faster than before. I have a testfile that took ~26 seconds to load with AVGCART before, takes ~13 seconds with sio2sd and with AVGCART ~6.5 seconds now. Incredible. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patjomki said:

Update:

I just reformatted my sd card with FAT32 put all the files onto it from the latest firmware release and let AVGCART create a folder _AVGCART (with Shift-Ctrl-H) and divisor 0.

Now AVGCART loads atr files twice as fast as my sio2sd which means it is now four(!) times faster than before. I have a testfile that took ~26 seconds to load with AVGCART before, takes ~13 seconds with sio2sd and with AVGCART ~6.5 seconds now. Incredible. 

sounds like something was wrong with that _AVGCART\HSIO file (weird), if that ever happens again, try to delete just that file

But selecting the. CAS  is also be considered pressing play. Then the cassette player does not start until the MTRCTL is received. 

I think the current implementation is not perfect because you nned to press a key and the button almost at the same time, but it is Okay and even convenient since @tmp can use that I/O for other purpose.