IGNORED

Games that could play / be fun on a DDR pad?

redsteakraw

I was thinking of modding a Playstation DDR pad for use on the 2600 / sega genesis. The question is what games do you think would be the most playable / fun, I will use your suggestions when I am testing. The ones I think so far would be fun are the maze games like Ms. Pacman, and Maze Craze. Some other ones will be Tapper, keystone kapers, freeway and frogger. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Coconuts is fun and a game we still play once in a while. It's kind of like Kaboom!, but instead of catching the coconuts, you need to avoid them. Get hit and you loose your umbrella, then your hat. Another hit or two and the game is over. That crazy monkey really picks up speed in later levels. lol

Coconuts is fun and a game we still play once in a while. It's kind of like Kaboom!, but instead of catching the coconuts, you need to avoid them. Get hit and you loose your umbrella, then your hat. Another hit or two and the game is over. That crazy monkey really picks up speed in later levels. lol

Looks like fun I hope it is a joystick game otherwise it won't work.

I was going to say decathalon, summer and winter games, track and field. Any game like that.

Wouldn't have thought of maze s games, but it would make sense.

Love coconuts btw. I could have sworn it could be played two playered where one controlled the monkey, but either I'm an idiot, or its just single player. I'll need to look up the instructions on AA.

Edited by Video

Beat em Eat em won't work and Bachelor Party won't work either as they are both paddle controllers.

Custer's revenge may work though. I don't own any though, they are on my list of games to get.

Any microcontroller with DAC peripheral should solve the paddle problem...

There is a Frogger-like game for the PS 2 that uses a pad. I only saw the box, not the gameplay, but perhaps it may provide a source of inspiration,

Any game that doesn't rely on the R / L buttons is playable as the pad includes the directional and shape buttons as well as start and select. I am using a PS2 dance pad as part of my project.

Mogul Maniac

Me too! I've got a PS2 dance mat connected through a PSX64 interface to my Atari 8-bit, C64 and other computers (sadly I don't own a working 2600 but in principle it works the same way) and of the games I've tried, Mogul Maniac on the Atari 8-bit is by far the most playable. The Atari 2600 version might a bit more dull but generally it is worth giving it a try.

Consider modding a hand held fire button next to the DDR pad to increase the number of potential games, as you don't want to use foot fire unless you're terribly dexterious.