IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 11 Round 8 - Pitfall!

DamonicFury

Welcome to round eight of the 5200 HSC season 11! Pitfall! won the poll by a single vote. Play with default difficult setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

No current record exists for this game! So someone hard-playing participant here will set one!

Round ends Sunday, May 13th, 2018 @9pm EST

A link to the manual and the ROM can be found here: http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=648

Standings:
Northcoastgamer - 100,853
jblenkle - 82,953
Hank Readen - 60,000
troff - 12,795
DarQ Massacres - 1,427

Welcome to round eight of the 5200 HSC season 11! Pitfall! won the poll by a single vote. Play with default difficult setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

No current record exists for this game! So someone hard-playing participant here will set one!

Round ends Sunday, May 13th, 2018 @9pm EST

A link to the manual and the ROM can be found here: http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=648

Standings:

There's no ROM download there. I tried Atarimania as well and was unsuccessful.

There's no ROM download there. I tried Atarimania as well and was unsuccessful.

That's right, I forgot that Activision asked AtariAge to remove all its ROMs years ago.

Here's a post in which a user posted ROMS for Pitfall, Mountain King, and K-Razy Shootout that have been fixed so that they will work on a 2-port 5200. (The fixed ROMS should work fine on a 4-port as well.)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237993-dumb-question/?p=3234153

• Like 1

This game is really starting to piss me off. It really seems some perfect jumps of the scorpion still kill you. I almost never die jumping them on the 2600 version. I can't make it past the first 12 of them. I can play to topside perfectly. And I spent an hour just practicing jumping the stupid scorpions! I may have to resort to just seeing how far I can go topside to put up a score but that would be disappointing. :(

But I swear, an identical jump will sometimes kill me. I know there's a very small margin of error but it really seems like the window moves.

100,853. I couldn't agree with you more Hank. It's probably a pretty good reason why this game has not yet been played in the 5200 HSC. It is truly aggravating when you pretty much make perfect jumps over the scorpions and die. Then at other times a little off on the jump and live. Looks like no one checked or tested this port before it was released. Such a pity! That being said, I still love a challenge and it truly is a challenge. For this particular score, I jumped over the first couple of scorpions near the beginning, the four around 9,000 and finally the one around 28-29,000. After that I just ran left on ground level. Should have scored a tad more, but like a goof I didn't clear the fire as the pic shows.

post-34612-0-52297500-1525646835_thumb.jpg

I literally can't make it past 12 scorpions! 5200 version is making me hate this game that I loved as a kid on 2600 and was a key to my getting into retro gaming. I had a perfect score back then. I guess I'm going to stop trying. A lot of hours into it. Ugh. Guess I'll move on to Dreadnoughts.

Congratulations to Northcoastgamer for jumping the most (hyper-annoying) scorpions and collecting the most treasures.

An excellent new homebrew, Ratcatcher, is coming up next.

Final standings:

Northcoastgamer - 100,853 +11

jblenkle - 82,953 +10

Hank Readen - 60,000 +9

troff - 12,795 +8

DarQ Massacres - 1,427 +7