IGNORED

Any done a full cart to CAR conversion as yet?

Look, I make no excuses about being lazy, I've got bins and roms all over my collection and as anyone who I've swapped collections with will know I'm being totally honest..

I keep on doing the conversion when I find them but there's all sorts of variations and stuff that I'll take a huge amount of time to find and compare..

Its not beyond me but life is 90 miles an hour here so if there's any one who has done a full convert AND is willing to share it then please do...

I'll understand if its not going to happen and carry on converting at snails speed to sort it, just looking for a leg up :)

Paul...

PS, I know there's 2 utils to D&D files on but its the finding out what is a rom that needs to stay as a rom as a file for altirra etc that's a pain, with opus I can find all the files but it leaves me with sorting out what needs to stay as what as it does not show the path its from on the converter so I can ignore it...

Yeah, lazy..But honest :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

There seems to have been a few topics on the subject of BINs/ROMs & CAR files recently and I can't seem to see a pattern on what people struggle with? What is a 'Full Convert' perceived to be?

If you have a BIN or ROM file, load this intro Altirra. Typically you are then given the dialog which asks you to select the Cartridge model.

If you do not know the type then it would be a case of running through each option until your binary runs as expected.

Once running, choose the Altirra menu "File / Save Firmware / Save Cartridge" and from the save dialog that results, the default option is for "Cartridge image with header", i.e. CAR extension.

Having saved that file, when opening it under emulation, it will now run without asking you the cartridge model as this information has been stored in the first 16 bytes (as stated on the other threads).

Edited by Wrathchild

There seems to have been a few topics on the subject of BINs/ROMs & CAR files recently and I can't seem to see a pattern on what people struggle with? What is a 'Full Convert' perceived to be?

If you have a BIN or ROM file, load this intro Altirra. Typically you are then given the dialog which asks you to select the Cartridge model.

If you do not know the type then it would be a case of running through each option until your binary runs as expected.

Once running, choose the Altirra menu "File / Save Firmware / Save Cartridge" and from the save dialog that results, the default option is for "Cartridge image with header", i.e. CAR extension.

Having saved that file, when opening it under emulation, it will now run without asking you the cartridge model as this information has been stored in the first 16 bytes (as stated on the other threads).

That's why I made it such a big post, to explain I know how to do it but I have stuff everywhere and if any one had already done it and was willing to share then it would short cut a bit of time for me..

Again, I really do know how to do it with various bits of software, its the time and and a small but cheeky hope that someone was more organised than me..

I was and admitted to being lazy, normally if I can help I'm straight in to help folk, for once I looked for the easy route..

Yes. Actually made a conversion of 232 carts to car. also have (OSB) in the name where OSB is needed to run. And (XEGS) in the name of the XEGS Carts. I did this Project last year Mostly for the Mist FPGA Atari 800 Core.

Im sure its not every Atari Carts released, But i believe all XEGS carts is there. I belive all the game carts is in there, maybe missing the more obscure ones only.

I would gladly make this avaible to anyone. im not sure how to link the Archive to this page. Can send it by email if you private Message me Your Email adress :)

Edited by Grevle

(cr) means cracked - in any form whatever, (h) means hacked but I can't remember exactly.

Got your archive and I'm on merging them. Many thanks for that!

But one question: We both have "Embargo" with the same checksum. Yours is marked as "OSB" but I can run it with the atari800 emulator while system set to 130XE (edit: same with "Monster Maze", "Pool 400" and "Story Machine"). Do you habe more information about this cartridge?

Edited by larryleffaovell

As i named them for mostly Mist FPGA use, they most likely need OSB when run in mist FGPA, But altirra might be able to run some of them With XE/XL OS. I knew i tested each rom so i know all of them should work, I used the Cart Studio to convert the Carts to Car, If i remember that correctly.

Edited by Grevle

These three collections are terrific. Not only do I not have anything extra that isn't already found here but there are actually a few files that I did not actually have on my Ultimate. Thanks for posting these collections!

• Like 2

I'm now at a happy to have issue, I now can't decide which classification system I like more, do I keep them in Sub cart version (Ie Blizzard 16K etc) or do I amalgamate them as Larry has done...

I'm stuck on which I like more :)

As said, I've gone thanks to you guys from a few named carts to a WEALTH of converted carts and its nice to see others benefiting from the thread..

Its nice to have nice problems for once :)

Paul..

• Like 1

I fully understand your problem...that's why I keep both archives, i.e. for "if I want to look something up" like "which one was the publisher?" or "when was this published?".

I did my archive for daily use - sorted alphabetically and possibly important informations, like "use OS-B for this, Luke" icon_smile.gif

Makes me very happy that someone find our work on this useful.

edit: I also have tons of scanned game manuals, if anyone is interested on this...

Edited by larryleffaovell
  • Like 2

edit: I also have tons of scanned game manuals, if anyone is interested on this...

Yes! I´m not a really good gamer, some games I don´t understand and haven´t the effort to find it out by myself. So some manuals will bring back some old gems I hope :)

Thank you very much for sharing your collections larryleffaovell, tmp and Mr Robot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very kind and generous of you to do so! :)

Thanks for sharing your game manuals scans as well larryleffaovell.

Shnikies those are a lot of game manual scans!!!

M-O-T-H-E-R-L-O-A-D!*

Wonderful to have so many new-to-me carts offered here and game manuals too!

Really glad Mclaneinc posted the question/started this topic. :grin:

Thanks again to all here: you guys rock! :cool:

*no offense to all the moms out there being so close to Mother's Day

Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 2

I'm now at a happy to have issue, I now can't decide which classification system I like more, do I keep them in Sub cart version (Ie Blizzard 16K etc) or do I amalgamate them as Larry has done...

I'm stuck on which I like more :)

As said, I've gone thanks to you guys from a few named carts to a WEALTH of converted carts and its nice to see others benefiting from the thread..

Its nice to have nice problems for once :)

Paul..

I do them all. The entire collection is so small I have them by Publisher and by Year and Alphabetically